The Real Question For Me is Long Term/Short Term

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
After reading Sturm's article a few weeks back, it became clear this #4 pick has implications which will affect more than just the team we see on the field come September.

What does the next decade look like? What does this team do after Romo?

Some will profess Tony has years left. But if Staubach and Aikman, and Pearson and Irvin taught us anything, a collision sport causes people to retire unexpectedly, and abruptly.

Granted Drew did so after a car wreck and Michael after finding out about a condition he had all along. But the fact remains, as a player gets older and begins taking stock of his life, sometimes health post-NFL becomes more of a priority. Especially with two children and a wife who would like to have a healthy husband post football.

Now factor in a great deal of wealth and the real possibility of ESPN or the NFL channel making him a talking head for several million a year, and you can see how that ring might lose its appeal over a future without injuries.

They say Staubach was the most competitive player anyone ever saw. Yet he walked from the game for this exact reason. Aikman as well.

So here is the dilemma. This team has youth in significant places. An offensive line which are babies compared to the league. A WR who is top five.

The defense surely needs a pass rusher and perhaps a good safety, corner, and a linebacker.

Yet after the first pick, some of those positions still could be filled. If not all.

So which is it?

Short term, trying to put a winner on the field in the next two years with a defensive pick?

Or thinking long term and picking a franchise leader on offense, and have him mature behind a guy we all think is one of the best?

I am now, and have always been about play makers. Teams are built around your play makers.

Bosa feels like a more talented Bobby Carpenter to me. I could and have been wrong many times in the past. I'm just not feeling it about him.

Ramsey would be a difficult decision for me because I believe he may be Darren Woodson for the next twelve years. Or better. He would be worth passing on a QB, but that is a toss up for me.

Zeke is a running back. And since the majority of people here have told me you can get a running back at any 7-11 in the metroplex, that is out for this high of a pick.

Quarterback interests me a great deal. Short term won't shore up all the weaknesses, and i'm not certain I am behind spending a premium pick on a defender that isn't the difference between losing to the Packers in 2014 or beating them then going to the dance.

A difference maker for years to come, and contracts to come is where my heart lies.

What will this team look like in 2018? Because I do not think Romo will be playing for them then.

Just my opinion.

What is yours?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Good break down, TwoDeep.

I would further breakdown concerning QB, the fact that Tony should have a very relevant two year window at the least. That is probably a minimum of time that a top drafted QB would ride the pine as well. One doesn't pay a backup in the neighborhood of over $5 million a year to collect splintes...one just doesn't, and have the starting taking up $20 million a season for the next projected four seasons as well.

That would mean that the time could be forced to release a player that comes into his second contract, such as a Frederick...due to cap room restraint.

Two years with a gap in team developments around non-quarterback, are a rather large hole as the team moves into the future.

Just not drafting a quality cornerback this draft, will roll over and greatly complicate next season's approach to free agency at the position.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
After reading Sturm's article a few weeks back, it became clear this #4 pick has implications which will affect more than just the team we see on the field come September.

Some will profess Tony has years left. But if Staubach and Aikman, and Pearson and Irvin taught us anything, a collision sport causes people to retire unexpectedly, and abruptly.

Granted Drew did so after a car wreck and Michael after finding out about a condition he had all along. But the fact remains, as a player gets older and begins taking stock of his life, sometimes health post-NFL becomes more of a priority. Especially with two children and a wife who would like to have a healthy husband post football.

Now factor in a great deal of wealth and the real possibility of ESPN or the NFL channel making him a talking head for several million a year, and you can see how that ring might lose its appeal over a future without injuries.

They say Staubach was the most competitive player anyone ever saw. Yet he walked from the game for this exact reason. Aikman as well.

So here is the dilemma. This team has youth in significant places. An offensive line which are babies compared to the league. A WR who is top five.

The defense surely needs a pass rusher and perhaps a good safety, corner, and a linebacker.

Yet after the first pick, some of those positions still could be filled. If not all.

So which is it?

Short term, trying to put a winner on the field in the next two years with a defensive pick?

Or thinking long term and picking a franchise leader on offense, and have him mature behind a guy we all think is one of the best?

I am now, and have always been about play makers. Teams are built around your play makers.

Bosa feels like a more talented Bobby Carpenter to me. I could and have been wrong many times in the past. I'm just not feeling it about him.

Ramsey would be a difficult decision for me because I believe he may be Darren Woodson for the next twelve years. Or better. He would be worth passing on a QB, but that is a toss up for me.

Zeke is a running back. And since the majority of people here have told me you can get a running back at any 7-11 in the metroplex, that is out for this high of a pick.

Quarterback interests me a great deal. Short term won't shore up all the weaknesses, and i'm not certain I am behind spending a premium pick on a defender that isn't the difference between losing to the Packers in 2014 or beating them then going to the dance.

A difference maker for years to come, and contracts to come is where my heart lies.

What will this team look like in 2018? Because I do not think Romo will be playing for them then.

Just my opinion.

What is yours?

Of Bosa's 70 pressures last year, 63 were blocked meaning that he worked for every stat he got. His signature trait is his power. Frankly, he is the anti-Carpenter. He went to the same school and shares similar demographics and that is about it.

It comes down to opportunity cost to me. We will likely not see the top DE nor QB in the draft for some time. Carpe Diem.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good break down, TwoDeep.

I would further breakdown concerning QB, the fact that Tony should have a very relevant two year window at the least. That is probably a minimum of time that a top drafted QB would ride the pine as well. One doesn't pay a backup in the neighborhood of over $5 million a year to collect splintes...one just doesn't, and have the starting taking up $20 million a season for the next projected four seasons as well.

That would mean that the time could be forced to release a player that comes into his second contract, such as a Frederick...due to cap room restraint.

Two years with a gap in team developments around non-quarterback, are a rather large hole as the team moves into the future.

Just not drafting a quality cornerback this draft, will roll over and greatly complicate next season's approach to free agency at the position.

What teams do and don't do changes. This is a fluid sport and while riding the pine isn't something normally done, it may be something wise to do. Gather your flock before the storm kind of thing by getting your QB when you draft at the top of the first instead of waiting.

However, having said that, I might see a trade with the Rams and taking Lynch at 15 and collecting the Rams second and maybe posturing to get back into the first for a DE later in that round.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Of Bosa's 70 pressures last year, 63 were blocked meaning that he worked for every stat he got. His signature trait is his power. Frankly, he is the anti-Carpenter. He went to the same school and shares similar demographics and that is about it.

As I have stated many, many times, I am not a college fan. So my "feeling" is more my concern, along with some things I have read about him. Specifically, he had one move, the swim move, until mid way through last season when he started taking his game inside.

I am not knocking him, per se, but just have this feeling his game will not transcend to the pros as well as some suspect. I have also seen "pundits" suggest Shaq is the more athletic player at that position.

But Shaq or Bosa - no way am I interested in Jack - still feel like rent-a-players versus the possibility of a long term franchise player at the QB position.

I like Wentz the best, but see something about all three - Goff and Lynch - that intrigue.

Note the second to last line of my anchor post.

Just my opinion

CCBoy

Reaction score
What teams do and don't do changes. This is a fluid sport and while riding the pine isn't something normally done, it may be something wise to do. Gather your flock before the storm kind of thing by getting your QB when you draft at the top of the first instead of waiting.

However, having said that, I might see a trade with the Rams and taking Lynch at 15 and collecting the Rams second and maybe posturing to get back into the first for a DE later in that round.

The cost to the Rams and a move down to 15, would be their 2 - 2nd round picks, and then, worth selecting a QB if still available, at that point as well. That would be a smart move.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The cost to the Rams and a move down to 15, would be their 2 - 2nd round picks, and then, worth selecting a QB if still available, at that point as well. That would be a smart move.

Do you mean 2 seconds and their first at 15?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Do you mean 2 seconds and their first at 15?

As stated, the points would be close to equal and for the 4th pick. It could take the 4th pick from Dallas, but a first and two seconds would be close to the points for the high pick of Dallas...to 15. No, I didn't stutter.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

So which is it?

Just my opinion.

What is yours?

The real key here is how good they feel the QBs available at 4 will be. You don't take a QB high just because you are picking high and it's an opportunity. The player has to be worth it. Sadly, no one can really tell, but the last thing I want us to do is just pick the next Alex Smith because we just have to take a QB. Everyone knew SF wasn't thrilled about Smith, but they couldn't trade the pick and just crossed their fingers. That was a big time waste. So much of what I've heard it that this class is relatively weak at the top.

If we end up with Bosa and he's very good but not all pro great, he will still make a positive impact. If we picka QB and he just average (which seems to be a common opinion of these QBs) then its a big waste.

If truly believe that we can get an actual franchise QB and not another Smith, or Bradford or Stafford or Boller, then fine. Take him. But don't just take a QB so we can say we took one.

Hoov

Reaction score

So which is it?

Just my opinion.

What is yours?

Good post. I am thinking QB at 4 and you still have a very high 2nd - there will be a good defensive player there to fill one of the holes you mentioned. With the rest of the picks think you can still find guys to improve the defense a little more.

Team will still be competitive with Romo. Im thinking if Romo is healthy and able to play well all year - then it wont be a rookie defensive player that is the difference between winning or losing in the playoffs.
By the same token if Romo gets hurt this year or next year he probably retires and you are glad you have a QB to take over.

I would be thinking RB in next years draft - not this one.

Hoov

Reaction score

So which is it?

Just my opinion.

What is yours?

Good post. I am thinking QB at 4 and you still have a very high 2nd - there will be a good defensive player there to fill one of the holes you mentioned. With the rest of the picks think you can still find guys to improve the defense a little more.

Team will still be competitive with Romo. Im thinking if Romo is healthy and able to play well all year - then it wont be a rookie defensive player that is the difference between winning or losing in the playoffs.
By the same token if Romo gets hurt this year or next year he probably retires and you are glad you have a QB to take over.

I would be thinking RB in next years draft - not this one.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The real key here is how good they feel the QBs available at 4 will be. You don't take a QB high just because you are picking high and it's an opportunity. The player has to be worth it. Sadly, no one can really tell, but the last thing I want us to do is just pick the next Alex Smith because we just have to take a QB. Everyone knew SF wasn't thrilled about Smith, but they couldn't trade the pick and just crossed their fingers. That was a big time waste. So much of what I've heard it that this class is relatively weak at the top.

If we end up with Bosa and he's very good but not all pro great, he will still make a positive impact. If we picka QB and he just average (which seems to be a common opinion of these QBs) then its a big waste.

If truly believe that we can get an actual franchise QB and not another Smith, or Bradford or Stafford or Boller, then fine. Take him. But don't just take a QB so we can say we took one.

Alex Smith (at least over the past 5 or so seasons) is a solid QB. He's not going to lead a team that will blow the doors off the competition on the scoreboard but he knows how to play. Any QB that protects the ball the way he does will give you a shot. He only has 30 or so INTs over the last 5 seasons. You can win with Alex Smith, as evidenced by his 49-21 record over the past 5 years. He's capable enough to allow you to actually build the rest of your roster, which is the 1 thing teams without a QB cannot do because they use up a good amount of their resources on trying to find their quality QB.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
As I have stated many, many times, I am not a college fan. So my "feeling" is more my concern, along with some things I have read about him. Specifically, he had one move, the swim move, until mid way through last season when he started taking his game inside.

I am not knocking him, per se, but just have this feeling his game will not transcend to the pros as well as some suspect. I have also seen "pundits" suggest Shaq is the more athletic player at that position.

But Shaq or Bosa - no way am I interested in Jack - still feel like rent-a-players versus the possibility of a long term franchise player at the QB position.

I like Wentz the best, but see something about all three - Goff and Lynch - that intrigue.

Note the second to last line of my anchor post.

Bosa is maxed out. What you see right now is pretty much as good as he is going to get. And that probably is a try hard player who will get you eight sacks a year for a while and make a Pro Bowl or two when it is all said and done. He's not J.J. Watt, not that kind of difference maker who is consistently growing and getting better every year.

In the middle of the first round, he's a great pickup. At four? Not so much.

That is just the angle of this particular draft. Not a year to be overly excited about getting the top overall "pass rusher" because he really isn't that.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

yeah I agree, I would do that in a heart beat.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

So which is it?

Just my opinion.

What is yours?

Its a no brainer in my opinion, QB is the hardest position in all of professional sports to play and if you have a shot to get a really good QB then you have to do it. We have to take advantage of this opportunity, if we don't it will be a horrific mistake. Why you ask? Because we may not be drafting this high for a very long time and the only way to get a franchise level type of QB if you are not the worst team in the league, is a trade up. The problem with a trade up is the cost involved. Last year Chippy offered the Titans 3 first round picks for Marriotta and the Titans gave Chippy the bird. We all know how the Skins got fleeced in the RG3 trade, so unless you are into trading away multiple first round picks, you don't get a top QB prospect unless you are the worst team in the league.

So the reality is that as long as Romo plays a decent amount of games, we are never going to be in the position of being the worst team in the league so we will not have a chance to draft a top QB prospect again without a massive trade up deal.

So the decision is simple for me, I take the QB at pick 4 and let him sit a couple of seasons behind Romo. And for those that say you cant sit a top 5 QB, the Houston Oilers drafted Steve McNair in 1995 with the 3rd overall pick and he sat for 2 seasons before becoming the starter in 1997. And that was before the days of the rookie cap and top picks were paid a small fortune. McNair only went on to win league MVP, have multiple probowl appearances, and came 1 yard short of winning the SB.

Sitting for 2 seasons apparently didn't hurt McNair very much, so the idea that you cant sit a top 5 QB is just excuse making.

Section446

Reaction score
Elliott or whoever they consider to be the best QB, those are the only two options to me.