The Real Question For Me is Long Term/Short Term

zekecowboy

Reaction score
From my original post.

Ramsey would be a difficult decision for me because I believe he may be Darren Woodson for the next twelve years. Or better. He would be worth passing on a QB, but that is a toss up for me.

I do not see this situation. If Ramsey is available, most likely Wentz and Goff have been picked already. If a quarterback is available (Wentz or Goff), most likely Ramsey has already been selected.

Dallas nightmare from long term perspective is Wentz, Goff, and Ramsey are selected with first 3 picks. I would settle with Zeke in this situation.

Dundalis

Reaction score
Ramsey, himself has stated frankly, he prefers CB & views himself at that position......... But he can play anywhere if desired
Of course he does, because he's not stupid. If you can play multiple positions to a similar level, you are going to declare your best position the most valuable one. The bottom line is Ramsey has some very concerning aspects to his game that make the universal man love he seems to be getting as this fantastic can't miss prospect feel a little OTT.
According everyone..... Romo is going down again & we're screwed..... Hence the need for the pick @4
Picking a QB should have very little to do with Romo going down. In fact I think it would be better for the prospect if Romo stayed healthy. A good 3 years of sitting and learning gives a QB prospect the best chance of succeeding. I think by year 4, even if Romo manages to stay healthy, an age related decline will be well under way. Right now, where 3-4 years of Romo playing at a reasonably high level is pretty much best case scenario, I'd say it is pretty much the perfect time to grab that QB. The idiots who think we should wait until Romo is right on the verge of retirement and then select a QB have obviously forgotten the post Aikman, pre Romo era. While there may not be the perfect QB prospect available like Peyton or Luck, the consensus top QB's in this draft have plenty of the necessary qualities to become franchise QB's. We will likely never be in a position to select a Peyton or Luck type prospect in any case, so that should probably not even be a consideration. The taking a first round graded QB in order to maximise chances of hitting on one should.

I firmly believe that getting to hopefully sit a couple years (with a healthy Romo) will give whoever we take a much better chance of succeeding compared to other 1st round QB prospects who've been thrown directly into the fire and failed.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
Of course he does, because he's not stupid. If you can play multiple positions to a similar level, you are going to declare your best position the most valuable one. The bottom line is Ramsey has some very concerning aspects to his game that make the universal man love he seems to be getting as this fantastic can't miss prospect feel a little OTT.

Picking a QB should have very little to do with Romo going down. In fact I think it would be better for the prospect if Romo stayed healthy. A good 3 years of sitting and learning gives a QB prospect the best chance of succeeding. I think by year 4, even if Romo manages to stay healthy, an age related decline will be well under way. Right now, where 3-4 years of Romo playing at a reasonably high level is pretty much best case scenario, I'd say it is pretty much the perfect time to grab that QB. The idiots who think we should wait until Romo is right on the verge of retirement and then select a QB have obviously forgotten the post Aikman, pre Romo era. While there may not be the perfect QB prospect available like Peyton or Luck, the consensus top QB's in this draft have plenty of the necessary qualities to become franchise QB's. We will likely never be in a position to select a Peyton or Luck type prospect in any case, so that should probably not even be a consideration. The taking a first round graded QB in order to maximise chances of hitting on one should.

I firmly believe that getting to hopefully sit a couple years (with a healthy Romo) will give whoever we take a much better chance of succeeding compared to other 1st round QB prospects who've been thrown directly into the fire and failed.

Having said drafted QB sit 2-3 yrs is then, basically giving up stater $ at another position.

A solid starter on D vs same $ for a bench warmer on O..... I'll take the D starter right now thank you very much

Unless, I'm reading everyone wrong..... They want the future franchise QB, but want him to sit & learn. Yet our D could use an infusion of talent across the board....But, if Romo goes down in week 3, then hey that's alright - throw the kid in the fire

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Ramsey would be a difficult decision for me because I believe he may be Darren Woodson for the next twelve years. Or better. He would be worth passing on a QB, but that is a toss up for me.

With all due respect to Woody, he wasn't the reason we went to Super Bowls.
The reasons we went to Super Bowls were (in no particular order) ...
1. Offensive line
2. Emmitt Smith
3. Troy Aikman
4. Charles Haley

So ... we already have a dominant offensive line - check.
We don't have a dominant pass rusher, but I don't see one worthy of the #4 pick.
There is a dominant runner in this draft - Ezekiel Elliott. There's also two quarterbacks considered franchise signal callers - Carson "The Anointed One" Wentz and Jared "Some Fans Will Take Up" Goff "If Jerry Passes On Him".
If we want to be in contention for two years, we take Ezekiel Elliott.
If we want to be in contention for the next 12 years, we take Wentz or Goff.

Teams with franchise quarterbacks always seem to be in contention for Super Bowls. If you want to get to a Super Bowl, get a good quarterback and have a strong defense (see Ravens, Bucs, Bears Super Bowl teams). If you want to get to multiple Super Bowls, get a franchise quarterback (see Elway, Aikman, Bradshaw, Staubach, Manning, Brady, Roethlisberger, Montana, Kelly).

tyke1doe

Reaction score
As an aside, I don't think we'll take either Goff or Wentz if they're available. Basically what you're asking them to do is to wait three years before they'll start. I just don't see them being happy with that arrangement, Romo wanting to rush off into retirement and the fans being willing to wait that long.

jnday

Reaction score
Which is my point exactly..... Why is the QB pick labeled as a savior pick?

If there is a potential franchise QB in this draft, and he fell to Dallas, they would be foolish to pass. It would cost less and provide Romo's replacement , which will be needed in the very near future.