The Real Question For Me is Long Term/Short Term

Shinaoi

Reaction score
I always believe in long term. I want to build a team that is a year in year out playoff team.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
I have a number of issues with Ramsey, where I initially quite liked the thought of taking him at 4. First, he's universally regarded as an elite DB. Not necessarily elite CB or safety, but elite DB. It's his position on a lot of prospect sites. His calling card from scouting reports is his versatility. I don't want to hear about that in a top 5 pick. I want a guy who has a position and has elite potential there. Now, a lot of reports say he can be an elite safety. Some say he should be a CB. That leads on to the next issue I have, being that I'm pretty certain that the Cowboys are probably gonna put him at CB if they take him. Byron Jones is a certainty to be a safety if you listen to Spagnola. If you are looking for an elite DB talent at 4, CB is the more valuable position. So there's discussion about what his best position is, whether he will be elite there, and there seems to be a good chance we would force him into the position he's least proficient at due to needs. A lot of fans that promote us taking him say something like just take him, then throw him in there with Jones and figure it out later. Again, just not something I want to hear about a guy picked at no. 4. I'd rather get a pure CB or pure safety later in the draft, potentially after trading down for extra picks.

Ramsey is very good, but I don't know if he's quite the perfect can't miss prospect some are saying. He does not get interceptions with poor hands, and is not fluid at CB. He's stiff moving lateral, just like Jones. He probably has a high floor, but his ceiling seems NQR, especially if he isn't played at safety.

Ramsey, himself has stated frankly, he prefers CB & views himself at that position......... But he can play anywhere if desired

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I look at Romo as playing 2 years, anything longer than that would be a bonus. Playing 4 or 5 years is a dream at this point.
Most everyone believes Romo wil be injured again, and the track record shows he will be. We have no back up QB [except those fans of Moore] and obviously no future QB.

I been saying since November, take the QB if there. Though lately I been saying EE, as he has the more impact now, as well as helping prolong Romo's career for the next few years and even a 3rd year.
But still need that future QB.
1st 2 rounds...QB / RB or RB / QB....helps Romo and helps the future QB....sit and learn 2 years, probably even 3.

I truly believe Romo retires before he gets to that 5th year of JJ's JWB filled 40 year pickled old brain.
Pick the QB if there, if not then Zeke.

Wentz / Goff if there, if not then Elliott.
Look at a QB in the 2nd round.

Always have that QB card ready if he is there in the 1st 3 rounds.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm a Sturm fan.
But he made an incredible number of assumptions in that write-up.
For starters, he spoke as if just because we take a QB, that automatically means that player sets us up at the position for the next 12-14 years.
The odds are much greater that we get either an average long term starter (the highest probability) , a career backup, or an out right bust.
There's also, as always, the chance we get what he's assuming. :)

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Elliott or whoever they consider to be the best QB, those are the only two options to me.

I think I agree. None of the defensive players really excite me at 4. I guess Ramsey would be the one guy but I'm honestly hesitant to take a DB that high.

So my ideal scenarios would be...

1.Take the QB at 4
2.Trade down and get Elliott at 7 or later.
3.Trade down for the best package available and go BPA with a lean towards DL/DB.

And who knows if #2 and #3 are even possibilities. The phone may never ring. We'll have to wait and see.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The real key here is how good they feel the QBs available at 4 will be. You don't take a QB high just because you are picking high and it's an opportunity.

And throughout this whole process, I have yet to see anyone suggest that is a good idea. Most people will say "if" they view any one of these QBs as a potential long term NFL starting QB, they should take them. The more I see this used in the argument, the more I realize that it is a watered down defense. But then the idea is that Dallas "has to" take the DE. "Has to" take an impact S/CB or speedy LBer. That is suggesting the same kind of thing, isn't it?

If truly believe that we can get an actual franchise QB and not another Smith, or Bradford or Stafford or Boller, then fine. Take him. But don't just take a QB so we can say we took one.

And nobody is suggesting anything of the kind. Except those who don't want one of the best ones at four, yet are okay with marginal developmental prospects like Prescott in a premium round no less. That is taking a QB just to take one just the same.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
After reading Sturm's article a few weeks back, it became clear this #4 pick has implications which will affect more than just the team we see on the field come September.

What does the next decade look like? What does this team do after Romo?

Some will profess Tony has years left. But if Staubach and Aikman, and Pearson and Irvin taught us anything, a collision sport causes people to retire unexpectedly, and abruptly.

Granted Drew did so after a car wreck and Michael after finding out about a condition he had all along. But the fact remains, as a player gets older and begins taking stock of his life, sometimes health post-NFL becomes more of a priority. Especially with two children and a wife who would like to have a healthy husband post football.

Now factor in a great deal of wealth and the real possibility of ESPN or the NFL channel making him a talking head for several million a year, and you can see how that ring might lose its appeal over a future without injuries.

They say Staubach was the most competitive player anyone ever saw. Yet he walked from the game for this exact reason. Aikman as well.

So here is the dilemma. This team has youth in significant places. An offensive line which are babies compared to the league. A WR who is top five.

The defense surely needs a pass rusher and perhaps a good safety, corner, and a linebacker.

Yet after the first pick, some of those positions still could be filled. If not all.

So which is it?

Short term, trying to put a winner on the field in the next two years with a defensive pick?

Or thinking long term and picking a franchise leader on offense, and have him mature behind a guy we all think is one of the best?

I am now, and have always been about play makers. Teams are built around your play makers.

Bosa feels like a more talented Bobby Carpenter to me. I could and have been wrong many times in the past. I'm just not feeling it about him.

Ramsey would be a difficult decision for me because I believe he may be Darren Woodson for the next twelve years. Or better. He would be worth passing on a QB, but that is a toss up for me.

Zeke is a running back. And since the majority of people here have told me you can get a running back at any 7-11 in the metroplex, that is out for this high of a pick.

Quarterback interests me a great deal. Short term won't shore up all the weaknesses, and i'm not certain I am behind spending a premium pick on a defender that isn't the difference between losing to the Packers in 2014 or beating them then going to the dance.

A difference maker for years to come, and contracts to come is where my heart lies.

What will this team look like in 2018? Because I do not think Romo will be playing for them then.

Just my opinion.

What is yours?

it would be a dilemma if in fact they went all in to win immediately. But looking at the moves they made in the off season gives absolutely no indication that they are all in to win now. As I've said before, Jerry is reactive and sees that Manning won a SB at 38, and thinks Romo can do the same. But Jerry isn't making the moves that Elway made to secure a top notch defense for Manning. I really believe that if Carolina had won the SB Jerry would be pimping for Cardale Jones in the 2nd round to be the next Cam Newton.

BTW there was an article shortly after the season about Romo and his future and that FOX has made contact with his agent about a post football career. Romo simply has to decide if he wants to be in the booth or the studio.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Damn, get Tunsil...and the team already zone blocked and kept the quarterback pretty clean as it was...Think Dez can get open much then?

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Alex Smith (at least over the past 5 or so seasons) is a solid QB. He's not going to lead a team that will blow the doors off the competition on the scoreboard but he knows how to play. Any QB that protects the ball the way he does will give you a shot. He only has 30 or so INTs over the last 5 seasons. You can win with Alex Smith, as evidenced by his 49-21 record over the past 5 years. He's capable enough to allow you to actually build the rest of your roster, which is the 1 thing teams without a QB cannot do because they use up a good amount of their resources on trying to find their quality QB.

But it took quite a few years for Alex Smith to get to solid, and not for the team that drafted him.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Elliott or whoever they consider to be the best QB, those are the only two options to me.

This is it for me too.

Here's the thing about RB's Two Deep. Sure, there are those 3,4 & 5th round draft picks starting all over the league which leads to the conclusion that you can get those guys late. But you're more lucky than good if you do and that's why I want Elliott. He's as close to sure as there is and immediately gives us our identity back which helps Romo, Dez, the offense and the defense. No player can impact the team more so than EE and we simply cannot afford to miss on the pick.

But - I also agree with those who say 4 is too high for a RB. So - there are 4 teams interested in moving up right now according to Peter King. Let's find a partner, back out of 4, get Elliott, draft Paxton Lynch with the extra picks.

After that grab a WR and defense, defense, defense.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Great post. I know I'm as torn on what's the best move. I personally like Bosa more than most. I've watched him a ton and I seen him doubled and tripled and still get pressure. That said I think QB, if availible is the smart move. One very good reason is the cost, in picks, may never be so cheap. If Wentz is there at 4 it's a no brainer. But I suspect he is gone .ramsey has grown on me and he would probably be my next choice. But I think there is a very good chance that Ramsey, Wentz and tunsil will be the top 3 picks, and there is also a very good chance trading down won't be an option
I don't see who people are gonna trade up for. If Goff is so good a team is willing to pay a premium for him makes me wonder if we are missing something. But no matter what you can't plan a trade down and very well may have to pick at 4. In that scenario with the three above gone I'm taking Bosa

I like Bosa because both on running plays and rushing, he will bring intensity to the defensive line of scrimmage for the Cowboys.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is it for me too.

Here's the thing about RB's Two Deep. Sure, there are those 3,4 & 5th round draft picks starting all over the league which leads to the conclusion that you can get those guys late. But you're more lucky than good if you do and that's why I want Elliott. He's as close to sure as there is and immediately gives us our identity back which helps Romo, Dez, the offense and the defense. No player can impact the team more so than EE and we simply cannot afford to miss on the pick.

But - I also agree with those who say 4 is too high for a RB. So - there are 4 teams interested in moving up right now according to Peter King. Let's find a partner, back out of 4, get Elliott, draft Paxton Lynch with the extra picks.

Elliott and , and Tyler Boyd or Will Fuller, ...I won't be saying another thing no matter what.

Section446

Reaction score
This is it for me too.

I view Elliott as well worth it, he's the rare RB that has an elite skill set as a runner, but can also pass block with the best of them. How important will that be to Romo and his longevity?