The Real Question For Me is Long Term/Short Term

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
So you don't like the QB prospects in this draft.

How about next year? See one that meets your personal standards there?

I haven't looked at next year's crop. Have you?

Please tell us all the first round prospects for next year.

I appreciate you letting us know about Carson Wentz in April of 2015.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
Romo missed how many games and how many games did Dallas lose. Yes, I see a trend. I also see a team that is not poised, even with several rookie defenders, to be in position to win it all.

So, essentially this team wasted Romo's career. But they have assembled sopme nice talent that is young.

So we can argue about who wins what, but the ugly truth is we have an aging quarterback who will not win without the right surrounding cast. Unfortunately for him that cast won't be gatherd in time for his heroics to win it all, I am afraid.

But the team is still building, and it would be nice to have a plan beyond Romo's years.

Because Romo is still good enough to keep this team from being this high up in the draft.

It's pragmatism versus a pipe dream this front office will create a defense to get the team to the summit.

Now may be too late, but the future is not.

By all means.... A QB who nobody knew about, before this year, shall lead us to the promised land. Their isn't a Peyton or Cam or Luck folks in those QB's being considered. Wentz has been anointed the Golden child...... There isn't a damn post on this board about this kid this time last year.

rpntex

Reaction score
So, taking a chance on a QB is better than a can't miss prospect? We aren't drafting 1st.....maybe that QB is gone by 4?

This post makes me laugh. The entire premise of the post you responded to was that there's NO SUCH THING as a "can't miss" prospect. Even Ramsey cannot be classified as "can't miss". Mo Claiborne was considered a "can't mss" prospect. Guess what...he missed.

Tony Mandarich was a "can't miss"...he missed!

Reading comprehension on this site is pathetic sometimes. But, for the sake of those who struggle with it, I'll say it a third time...

I don't necessarily advocate taking a QB at #4. In fact, my first choice would be Lynch, for reasons I've already enumerated (sorry, I'm not going over that again...read it or get someone to read it to you). I WOULD NOT take him at #4! Trade back and pick him up later, or if you think he'll be there at #34, use the #4 on anyone you want to. Option #2 would be to take Goff or Wentz at #4 if either is available.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
By all means.... A QB who nobody knew about, before this year, shall lead us to the promised land. Their isn't a Peyton or Cam or Luck folks in those QB's being considered. Wentz has been anointed the Golden child...... There isn't a ***** post on this board about this kid this time last year.

In the thread that started less than two weeks after last year's draft, titled "Your favorite 2016 QB," Wentz was one of those mentioned several times. Casual fans might not have heard of him at this time last year, but people who follow the draft certainly did.

CCBoy

Reaction score
In the thread that started less than two weeks after last year's draft, titled "Your favorite 2016 QB," Wentz was one of those mentioned several times. Casual fans might not have heard of him at this time last year, but people who follow the draft certainly did.

The depth of your being a fan is sometimes amazing, AdamJT13.

conner01

Reaction score
I haven't looked at next year's crop. Have you?

Please tell us all the first round prospects for next year.

I appreciate you letting us know about Carson Wentz in April of 2015.

Impossible to know who will be top QB next year. After his first year, no player was higher rates than hackenberg. You have around a 50-50 shot of picking a QB at this spot in the draft in the year you pick him, probably less than half of that a year out

conner01

Reaction score
Jack & Ramsey are viewed as great, not just pretty good. I have more faith in the defensive players in this draft than i do any of these "1st round" QBs, it wouldn't shock me if Cardale or Cook are better than Goff, Wentz, or Lynch.

Are you willing to bet your future on one of them being better? More importantly, is any nfl GM

conner01

Reaction score
By all means.... A QB who nobody knew about, before this year, shall lead us to the promised land. Their isn't a Peyton or Cam or Luck folks in those QB's being considered. Wentz has been anointed the Golden child...... There isn't a damn post on this board about this kid this time last year.

That is not even close to being true. Just because you didn't know about him doesn't mean those who do this for a living didn't know about him

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Of Bosa's 70 pressures last year, 63 were blocked meaning that he worked for every stat he got. His signature trait is his power. Frankly, he is the anti-Carpenter. He went to the same school and shares similar demographics and that is about it.

It comes down to opportunity cost to me. We will likely not see the top DE nor QB in the draft for some time. Carpe Diem.

This.

There are five players considered the elite talent of this draft and three of them (Jack, Ramsey and Bosa) fill a position of need and would have immediate impact. On the other hand, There are at least three QBs who may be available at #4 who could develop into franchise QBs. Endless opportunities. Seize the day, indeed.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
After reading Sturm's article a few weeks back, it became clear this #4 pick has implications which will affect more than just the team we see on the field come September.

What does the next decade look like? What does this team do after Romo?

Some will profess Tony has years left. But if Staubach and Aikman, and Pearson and Irvin taught us anything, a collision sport causes people to retire unexpectedly, and abruptly.

Granted Drew did so after a car wreck and Michael after finding out about a condition he had all along. But the fact remains, as a player gets older and begins taking stock of his life, sometimes health post-NFL becomes more of a priority. Especially with two children and a wife who would like to have a healthy husband post football.

Now factor in a great deal of wealth and the real possibility of ESPN or the NFL channel making him a talking head for several million a year, and you can see how that ring might lose its appeal over a future without injuries.

They say Staubach was the most competitive player anyone ever saw. Yet he walked from the game for this exact reason. Aikman as well.

So here is the dilemma. This team has youth in significant places. An offensive line which are babies compared to the league. A WR who is top five.

The defense surely needs a pass rusher and perhaps a good safety, corner, and a linebacker.

Yet after the first pick, some of those positions still could be filled. If not all.

So which is it?

Short term, trying to put a winner on the field in the next two years with a defensive pick?

Or thinking long term and picking a franchise leader on offense, and have him mature behind a guy we all think is one of the best?

I am now, and have always been about play makers. Teams are built around your play makers.

Bosa feels like a more talented Bobby Carpenter to me. I could and have been wrong many times in the past. I'm just not feeling it about him.

Ramsey would be a difficult decision for me because I believe he may be Darren Woodson for the next twelve years. Or better. He would be worth passing on a QB, but that is a toss up for me.

Zeke is a running back. And since the majority of people here have told me you can get a running back at any 7-11 in the metroplex, that is out for this high of a pick.

Quarterback interests me a great deal. Short term won't shore up all the weaknesses, and i'm not certain I am behind spending a premium pick on a defender that isn't the difference between losing to the Packers in 2014 or beating them then going to the dance.

A difference maker for years to come, and contracts to come is where my heart lies.

What will this team look like in 2018? Because I do not think Romo will be playing for them then.

Just my opinion.

What is yours?

Everything we do should be with long term in mind.

morasp

Reaction score
Carolina crushed us defensively.....
Denver crushed Carolina Defensively.......

See the trend here?

So, a fresh pick QB or having Romo back would've won those games all by themselves?

Not buying it

It surprised me a little how Denver Crushed New England defensively.

morasp

Reaction score
I just hope we don't turn into the Cleveland Browns when it comes to replacing Romo. A lot of articles that I read said that Jerry wanted Manziel.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

This is exactly why I want a power/dominant run game and a defensive minded squad. So we dont need Tom Brady in order to win one.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Great thread and good insights. JMO but although I think the Cowboys should draft a QB somewhere in the draft but not at #4. There appears to be a number of good prospects although none appear to me as being a franchise guy at least not right away. I would trade down if possible and get more picks to shore up the defense and address the young RB in the draft this year. Next year there appears to be a number of guys that will be far better than this year's crop at QB including Mahomes and Wilson along with Mayfield and a number of others. I could see as possibly six or seven guys vying for the #1 pick next year and Dallas should be able to get a better prospect even with taking a guy mid round this year. I would be fine with trading down with LA for #15 if it included both 2nds and 1st in 2017 (forget the trade chart, QBs go for more, lots more).

I do think that if Ramsey and/or Buckner are at #4 even just one of them, then one of them will be the pick.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
It surprised me a little how Denver Crushed New England defensively.

Don't know what game you were watching..... Brady threw 2 picks, Denver had 3.5 sacks & basically made life miserable for ole Tom all day{other than Gronk going off}

morasp

Reaction score
Don't know what game you were watching..... Brady threw 2 picks, Denver had 3.5 sacks & basically made life miserable for ole Tom all day{other than Gronk going off}

What? That pretty much sounds like the game I watched. Let me me say it differently, I was surprised at how Denver's defense shut down New England's offense.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

And BOOM!!!

Adam just kicked the non-QB club in the arse with this one liner........"fans might not have heard of him, but the professionals who do this for a living did"

Nicely done Adam:clap: