The real reason this team doesnt trade second rounders

phildadon86

Reaction score
If you have noticed. This team RARELY if ever trades second round picks. I am convinced that the reason behind that is because that is Jerry Jones' fun round. Its where he takes his gambles and feels like a "football guy".

Like he told Jimmy and Parcells. "He wants to be in the dance." "He wants to have fun".

If he trades away his second round fun pick he cant feel special. This is obviously an opinion but judging most of our second rounders over the last 7 years. It isnt too far fetched.

Jipper

Reaction score
If you have noticed. This team RARELY if ever trades second round picks. I am convinced that the reason behind that is because that is Jerry Jones' fun round. Its where he takes his gambles and feels like a "football guy".

Like he told Jimmy and Parcells. "He wants to be in the dance." "He wants to have fun".

If he trades away his second round fun pick he cant feel special. This is obviously an opinion but judging most of our second rounders over the last 7 years. It isnt too far fetched.
there is certainly history to what you are saying - but i would say the angle is more its the percieved "Value" round for Jerry vs the "fun" round - he knows he can get a 1st round talent with injury history, character concerns or some other blemish most of the time.

Unfortunatly, the value is just good on paper, as history has shown, given that they rarely pan out

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The Jerry Fun Round? Hilarious. Where Jerry pulls out them wildcatter instincts and gets busy!

“I know he has a dope habit, bad technique, and five baby’s mamas, but ol’ Jerry is feeling it with this one!”

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't know if that is or is not the case, but my theory as to why they hold on to their second round picks is because it gives them the ability to move up in the first round without trading next year's first round.

For example, if you have the 10th first round pick and want to trade up to the 5th pick, the cost would be 1,700 points. The 10th pick would give you 1,300 points, so you would need 400 more points (at least) to get a team with the 5th pick to trade with you.

That woud allow you to trade your second round (10th) pick which would be worth 480 points in a package with your first round (10th) pick of 1,300 points for a total package of 1,780 points which would make it a good deal for the team holding the first round 5th pick.

While team's can trade future season picks, the other team has no idea how valuable that will be (how high in the round your team will pick) and because they would be trading immediate help for future help, it means future season picks are worth less than their associated points with the same picks from this year's draft.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
The Jerry Fun Round? Hilarious. Where Jerry pulls out them wildcatter instincts and gets busy!

“I know he has a dope habit, bad technique, and five baby’s mamas, but ol’ Jerry is feeling it with this one!”
Lawrence Taylor had a pretty good career.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Yeah, he likes to feel like he pulled a genie out of a bottle if your 2nd round theory is valid. The epitome of a destructive ego. (Is that the very definition of a narcissist?)

Jerry fired Jimmy and said that Johnson was one of 500 coaches who could have won a Super Bowl with that team. (As it turned out that was partially true, there were 2, but what he meant was that there were plenty of coaches (500) that could keep this team going to SB's --- stupidity on display and essentially a promise that our GM couldn't deliver) !

I'm not a fan of Booger. He is the root cause of a considerable amount of angst for me.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think it's really just about how the Cowboys view the draft and it's sort of become their version of free agency. The Cowboys are quick to let borderline players walk who can net them comp picks, and they really dont go sign anyone of impact in free agency so they don't lose those comp picks. The only way they can improve the roster is through the draft, or getting value out of their draft picks. So I think they will trade a 2nd round pick, but will be gun shy about doing it this time of year as those picks don't carry as much value in the trade market. If you're active in moving picks in the offseason right before the start of free agency those picks carry more weight and players with money attached to them carry less value as we saw with Cooks/Gilmore, and even the other side of that with Cooper. What the Cowboys are very unlikely to do is go grab a guy like Derrick Henry for a 2nd and probably even 3rd round pick who isnt under contract in 2024 as that hurts their ability to fill a hole in the roster with a day 2 pick.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No team really trades their second-round picks.
Sorry that‘s not true….Teams that used a second round pick in a trade just recently:
  • Seahawks- about 24 hours ago- The Giants traded defensive lineman Leonard Williams to the Seahawks in exchange for a second-round pick in the 2024 NFL draft and a fifth-rounder in 2025.
  • Lions- in the 2023 draft, the lions traded a 2nd round pick and 6th round pick to the broncos in exchange for a 3rd and 4th round pick to move up.
  • Eagles- also in the 2023 draft, the eagles traded a second round pick in exchange for a 3rd, 4th, and 7th round pick from the Texans.
That’s just in the last 6 months….

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Sorry that‘s not true….Teams that used a second round pick in a trade just recently:
  • Seahawks- about 24 hours ago- The Giants traded defensive lineman Leonard Williams to the Seahawks in exchange for a second-round pick in the 2024 NFL draft and a fifth-rounder in 2025.
  • Lions- in the 2023 draft, the lions traded a 2nd round pick and 6th round pick to the broncos in exchange for a 3rd and 4th round pick to move up.
  • Eagles- also in the 2023 draft, the eagles traded a second round pick in exchange for a 3rd, 4th, and 7th round pick from the Texans.
Those teams have a GM who is involved and held accountable for his performance. The Cowboys do not have either of those things.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
They don't trade them for players. Do I really need to have these ridiculous qualifiers for everything? You know what I meant.

Besides, the point is that teams don't do it CONSISTENTLY. The idea that Jerry trades 2nd round picks significantly less than other organizations is dumb.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They don't trade them for players. Do I really need to have these ridiculous qualifiers for everything? You know what I meant.

Besides, the point is that teams don't do it CONSISTENTLY. The idea that Jerry trades 2nd round picks significantly less than other organizations is dumb.
I was responding to your exact quote, “No team really trades their second-round picks.” The first example I gave of the Seahawks was them trading a second rounder in exchange for Leonard Williams.

You‘re right about second rounder not being traded often. But it does happen. For players too on occasion.

fivetwos

Reaction score

There’s probably some truth to that.

My problem lately is that headed into the draft, they seem to fixate on two positions that are gaping holes in the starting lineup that were purposely left that way to fill with the two top picks as opposed to a free agents.

Whichever position they don’t take in round one, they immediately fixate on for round two.

They’ve gotten away with it because they typically hit on the first rounder and have been good on Saturday. Friday? Not so much and they very much need to have a BPA type attitude. Might help.

phildadon86

Reaction score
There’s probably some truth to that.

My problem lately is that headed into the draft, they seem to fixate on two positions that are gaping holes in the starting lineup that were purposely left that way to fill with the two top picks as opposed to a free agents.

Whichever position they don’t take in round one, they immediately fixate on for round two.

They’ve gotten away with it because they typically hit on the first rounder and have been good on Saturday. Friday? Not so much and they very much need to have a BPA type attitude. Might help.
The year we took Joseph, there were better corners available in FA. Because they didnt use FA they reach for KJ. Who isnt even on the team anymore.

John813

Reaction score
IIRC, Dan Quinn was really high on Sam Williams. He went and "coached" Williams while on a visit etc... I know it's smoke season but it seemed like a lot of "reputable" people were making that connection prior to the draft and right after the pick I know there were tweets about Quinn landing his guy.

Drafting an AARP member TE doesn't scream wildcatter. It just screams a Front office that once again saw a run on a position they wanted high in the draft and they took the "best" one remaining.
Similar to Kelvin Joseph.They needed a corner and Kelvin had the high potential and a very low floor. They solely rely on the draft for restocking talent, and when there's runs in the draft, they are left with the riskier prospects.
Same with Hill. Probably didn't help they still had Rod as a DC with his great eyes for talent at Tackle.
I know the fun name is Randy Gregory, but he was kept around cause he was either dirt cheap to pay or was suspended and didn't count on the 53/cap.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

I think it’s time for everyone to just accept that Jerry stopped caring about football when the Cowboys started printing money.

Jerry is more of an investor in a profitable business now than a football team owner.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
IIRC, Dan Quinn was really high on Sam Williams. He went and "coached" Williams while on a visit etc... I know it's smoke season but it seemed like a lot of "reputable" people were making that connection prior to the draft and right after the pick I know there were tweets about Quinn landing his guy.

Drafting an AARP member TE doesn't scream wildcatter. It just screams a Front office that once again saw a run on a position they wanted high in the draft and they took the "best" one remaining.
Similar to Kelvin Joseph.They needed a corner and Kelvin had the high potential and a very low floor. They solely rely on the draft for restocking talent, and when there's runs in the draft, they are left with the riskier prospects.
Same with Hill. Probably didn't help they still had Rod as a DC with his great eyes for talent at Tackle.
I know the fun name is Randy Gregory, but he was kept around cause he was either dirt cheap to pay or was suspended and didn't count on the 53/cap.
As someone who has listened to a lot of Coach Q's press conferences, I think he's high on all his guys. Or just knows what to say in the press. He hand picks most of them since he's been here. He was high on Kelvin Joseph too before season began, so I was surprised when they traded him. Same thing for Clark. I firmly believe if any of these guys don't make it, it's not the coaching. Q knows how to size up their talents well, usually drafting them specifically for the defensive role he knows will work for them, and he has a great support staff with guys like Coach Harris to perfect them and do the gameday leading on the field.