The real reason this team doesnt trade second rounders

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
This doesn't address his GM actions.

AND we all know the cash would flow like a raging river if he put a championship team out there. Sooo, your idea put forth doesn't hold water.
Imagine a thinking Jerry cares about football at this point.

He cares more about getting World Cup games than he does about winning a Super Bowl.

He’s old and lazy.

kskboys

Reaction score
There’s probably some truth to that.

My problem lately is that headed into the draft, they seem to fixate on two positions that are gaping holes in the starting lineup that were purposely left that way to fill with the two top picks as opposed to a free agents.

Whichever position they don’t take in round one, they immediately fixate on for round two.

They’ve gotten away with it because they typically hit on the first rounder and have been good on Saturday. Friday? Not so much and they very much need to have a BPA type attitude. Might help.
No, they need to get better at evaluating draftees.

kskboys

Reaction score
They don't trade them for players. Do I really need to have these ridiculous qualifiers for everything? You know what I meant.

Besides, the point is that teams don't do it CONSISTENTLY. The idea that Jerry trades 2nd round picks significantly less than other organizations is dumb.
Be better if you'd just admit you got that one wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is the GM. They're all his picks. If he would do his research as a GM should, some of those picks wouldn't have been made.
You could say all owners should have prevented their GM from drafting character issue players.

Fans love to blame Jerry for everything. Jerry has made plenty of stupid decisions but blaming him for stuff he didn't do is silly.

Stephen Jones & McClay have been running the team since 2014 with very limited interference from Jerry.
If the team operated in the pre-2014 mode this past decade, they would have kept these players/coaches several additional years:
Dez
Romo
Witten
Jaylon
Gregory (whatever contract he wanted)
Zeke
Jason Garrett would still be the head coach.

Dan Quinn
Anybody would be foolish to not see that the current team is built according the the Stephen Jones and McClay method of operation.
- SJ and McClay had wanted Dan Quinn for a long time.
- They tried to hire him in 2013 when he ended up returning to Seattle after being the University of Florida D-Coordinator for 2 years.

McCarthy vs Garrett
Everybody in the local media and anybody connected to the team know that Stephen Jones is the one the pushed Jason Garrett out the door.
- Jerry was still meeting with Garrett while Stephen was interviewing new HC candidates.
- Stephen gave McCarthy a cheat sheet on what to say when he interviewed with Jerry that would assure Jerry's approval.

Cap Management
- Their method of operation is clearly the Stephen Jones philosophy.

What they say vs what they do.
Just listen to the interviews of Stephen compared to the intereviews of Jerry.
- They almost always end up doing things that fit within the SJ philosophy, not the Jerry (I wanna go big) philosophy.

Jerry has been re-trained regarding media comments.
They've convinced Jerry to be much more conservative about broadcasting their intentions (draft/trades).
- The trades now just tend to happen.
- A decade ago, everybody knew Jerry was deadset on certain players and would over pay to get them.
- Jerry told Mike Holmgren in 2009 that they were going to draft the OC Max Unger in the 2nd.
- Holmgren traded in front of them to draft Unger.
- The stafff had a deal in place to acquire Joey Galloway for one 1st round pick.
- Seattle realized how much Jerry wanted Galloway and called Jerry directly and the result was two 1st round picks.
- The Rams called Jerry directly about the trade up that resulted in the Claiborne pick.
- The staff had no intention of trading up and therefore didn't do background checks on Claiborne.

The Final Straw.
- The 2013 ordeal where the staff was going to draft DT Sharrif Floyd until DC Marinelli said he's not worth it.
- Jerry had to intervene, they traded down and drafted Travis Frederick based on OL coach Bill Callahan's "scouting".
- The top player personell guy Ciscowski was demoted, McClay promoted and Stephen Jones given authoriy over personnell and the cap.

The Final Final empowerment.
- The only remaining football operations employee that didn't report to Stephen was Jason Garrett.
- Once SJ pushed JG out the door, SJ became the only link between Jerry and the staff/players.

The only person that a narcissist will empower is their own kid.
- If their kids succeed, it's still a bragging point for the narcissist (as long as the kid knows to always defer credit to big Daddy).

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If we handled the second round like we do the first round we wouldn’t have so many misfires. Jerry’s looking for players with first round talent that have fallen due to drug, off the field or injury issues. This is why we’ve whiffed on so many second round picks. We would be better off trading the pick for a proven player.

John813

Reaction score
Quinn is a good DC. That does not make him a good drafter. Completely different skillset.

Yea, decent reason why Atlanta fell off quickly after their SB run. They had a string of not so good draft classes, especially on the defensive side.

IIRC Sturm had an article when Quinn was hired where he looked into the hierarchy for the draft and Quinn ran the draft.

mardwin

Reaction score
I think it’s time for everyone to just accept that Jerry stopped caring about football when the Cowboys started printing money.

Jerry is more of an investor in a profitable business now than a football team owner.
If Jimmy Johnson hadn't put the '90s team in place the Cowboys would be on par with the Browns.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The Jerry Fun Round? Hilarious. Where Jerry pulls out them wildcatter instincts and gets busy!

“I know he has a dope habit, bad technique, and five baby’s mamas, but ol’ Jerry is feeling it with this one!”
dogs on my street are howling

stiletto

Reaction score
I don't know if that is or is not the case, but my theory as to why they hold on to their second round picks is because it gives them the ability to move up in the first round without trading next year's first round.

For example, if you have the 10th first round pick and want to trade up to the 5th pick, the cost would be 1,700 points. The 10th pick would give you 1,300 points, so you would need 400 more points (at least) to get a team with the 5th pick to trade with you.

That woud allow you to trade your second round (10th) pick which would be worth 480 points in a package with your first round (10th) pick of 1,300 points for a total package of 1,780 points which would make it a good deal for the team holding the first round 5th pick.

While team's can trade future season picks, the other team has no idea how valuable that will be (how high in the round your team will pick) and because they would be trading immediate help for future help, it means future season picks are worth less than their associated points with the same picks from this year's draft.

How many times have they moved up with the 2nd round pick? Has that worked out great? Their 2nd round picks have been scary overall.. ....recent example...Kelvin Joseph

I would rather them trade it for a proven commodity if there is a decent deal.

phildadon86

Reaction score
How many times have they moved up with the 2nd round pick? Has that worked out great? Their 2nd round picks have been scary overall.. ....recent example...Kelvin Joseph

I would rather them trade it for a proven commodity if there is a decent deal.
You left out our most recent second rounder. OL was the pick. Did we make it? NOPE. Got a TE with 2 whole catches and 14 yards with a TD.

The Jerry fun round!

stiletto

Reaction score
You left out our most recent second rounder. OL was the pick. Did we make it? NOPE. Got a TE with 2 whole catches and 14 yards with a TD.

The Jerry fun round!
I didnt mention Schoon because it is a little early but 25 year old player with injury while drafting. Typical 2nd round pick.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If you have noticed. This team RARELY if ever trades second round picks. I am convinced that the reason behind that is because that is Jerry Jones' fun round. Its where he takes his gambles and feels like a "football guy".

Like he told Jimmy and Parcells. "He wants to be in the dance." "He wants to have fun".

If he trades away his second round fun pick he cant feel special. This is obviously an opinion but judging most of our second rounders over the last 7 years. It isnt too far fetched.
You have a real problem with second rounders

How often do we trade any picks?

eromeopolk

Reaction score
If you have noticed. This team RARELY if ever trades second round picks. I am convinced that the reason behind that is because that is Jerry Jones' fun round. Its where he takes his gambles and feels like a "football guy".

Like he told Jimmy and Parcells. "He wants to be in the dance." "He wants to have fun".

If he trades away his second round fun pick he cant feel special. This is obviously an opinion but judging most of our second rounders over the last 7 years. It isnt too far fetched.
Yep Jerry needs another one legged LB.