The real reason this team doesnt trade second rounders

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
If you have noticed. This team RARELY if ever trades second round picks. I am convinced that the reason behind that is because that is Jerry Jones' fun round. Its where he takes his gambles and feels like a "football guy".

Like he told Jimmy and Parcells. "He wants to be in the dance." "He wants to have fun".

If he trades away his second round fun pick he cant feel special. This is obviously an opinion but judging most of our second rounders over the last 7 years. It isnt too far fetched.
and you're making this post makes no sense (in my philadon86 voice), what do we need a 2nd round pick for? Look at how they've turned out for us, i'm tired of the whining (bashing a poster because of their thoughts), give it up would ya (how did I do?) I'm clearly not even mad, I just like to bash Coog (Love Philadelphia eagle-don86)

John813

Reaction score
As someone who has listened to a lot of Coach Q's press conferences, I think he's high on all his guys. Or just knows what to say in the press. He hand picks most of them since he's been here. He was high on Kelvin Joseph too before season began, so I was surprised when they traded him. Same thing for Clark. I firmly believe if any of these guys don't make it, it's not the coaching. Q knows how to size up their talents well, usually drafting them specifically for the defensive role he knows will work for them, and he has a great support staff with guys like Coach Harris to perfect them and do the gameday leading on the field.

Oh I'm sure of that. But pre-draft for the Williams pick it seemed forgone before the draft Dallas really wanted Williams and it seemed Quinn was leading that charge.
So, I don't think some of the riskier picks in the 2nd are all on Jerry. IMO this is not the front office of the Campo/ Wade Phillips/early Garrett era.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
IIRC, Dan Quinn was really high on Sam Williams. He went and "coached" Williams while on a visit etc... I know it's smoke season but it seemed like a lot of "reputable" people were making that connection prior to the draft and right after the pick I know there were tweets about Quinn landing his guy.

Drafting an AARP member TE doesn't scream wildcatter. It just screams a Front office that once again saw a run on a position they wanted high in the draft and they took the "best" one remaining.
Similar to Kelvin Joseph.They needed a corner and Kelvin had the high potential and a very low floor. They solely rely on the draft for restocking talent, and when there's runs in the draft, they are left with the riskier prospects.
Same with Hill. Probably didn't help they still had Rod as a DC with his great eyes for talent at Tackle.
I know the fun name is Randy Gregory, but he was kept around cause he was either dirt cheap to pay or was suspended and didn't count on the 53/cap.
Agree 100%. Jerry is always going to have final say, but I don't think he controls the 2nd round nearly as much as people think he does. Williams seems DQ hand picked, it sounded like they were going TE 2nd round all the way so Schoon was more so who was left rather than a jerry gamble. Joseph was a need pick, but I could see Jerry having some influence on that pick. Diggs was a total hit. Hill was RM guy. Connor Williams doesnt fit the gamble profile, I dont remember but I dont think Awuzie did either? Outside of Jaylon and Gregory I'm not sure the 2nd round high risk/high reward narrative is really that true.

John813

Reaction score
Agree 100%. Jerry is always going to have final say, but I don't think he controls the 2nd round nearly as much as people think he does. Williams seems DQ hand picked, it sounded like they were going TE 2nd round all the way so Schoon was more so who was left rather than a jerry gamble. Joseph was a need pick, but I could see Jerry having some influence on that pick. Diggs was a total hit. Hill was RM guy. Connor Williams doesnt fit the gamble profile, I dont remember but I dont think Awuzie did either? Outside of Jaylon and Gregory I'm not sure the 2nd round high risk/high reward narrative is really that true.

I agree.
Sure some picks have not panned out, but I don't believe the 2nd is truly their round to take character issues. Just really coincidence/last of the potentially high end players on the board when they picked.
Awuzie IIRC wasn't a gamble. Just a needs after they let everyone walk in the secondary, outside of Brown lol

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
They don't trade them for players. Do I really need to have these ridiculous qualifiers for everything? You know what I meant.

Besides, the point is that teams don't do it CONSISTENTLY. The idea that Jerry trades 2nd round picks significantly less than other organizations is dumb.
Well, according to conversations with my wife the past 20 years, the answer is a resounding yes. I have come to the realization that it is better to let her win every challenge.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
I think it’s time for everyone to just accept that Jerry stopped caring about football when the Cowboys started printing money.

Jerry is more of an investor in a profitable business now than a football team owner.
This doesn't address his GM actions.

AND we all know the cash would flow like a raging river if he put a championship team out there. Sooo, your idea put forth doesn't hold water.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you have noticed. This team RARELY if ever trades second round picks. I am convinced that the reason behind that is because that is Jerry Jones' fun round. Its where he takes his gambles and feels like a "football guy".

Like he told Jimmy and Parcells. "He wants to be in the dance." "He wants to have fun".

If he trades away his second round fun pick he cant feel special. This is obviously an opinion but judging most of our second rounders over the last 7 years. It isnt too far fetched.
There have only been 2 Jerry picks in the past decade:
Jaylon Smith
Randy Gregory

That's basically a known fact among local media.

Jerry loved Johnny Manziel but deferred to Stephen/McClay to not pick him.

plasticman

Reaction score

It sure seems that way.

I have been calling it the "makeup" round. If Jerry doesn't get the player he wants in the 1st round then he drafts a player in the 2nd round that plays the same position. For example, he wanted Surtain in 2021 but didn't get him so he took Kelvin Joseph in the 2nd round.

Last season, he may have wanted a TE but was persuaded to get Mazi. So, he got Schoonmaker in the 2nd round.

The 2nd round is quite often a reach which would indicate he goes for position over value, a counterproductive philosophy.

phildadon86

Reaction score
There have only been 2 Jerry picks in the past decade:
Jaylon Smith
Randy Gregory

That's basically a known fact among local media.

Jerry loved Johnny Manziel but deferred to Stephen/McClay to not pick him.
Kelvin Joseph, Trystan Hill, lets not forget Taco Charlton in the first over TJ watt. Schoonmaker as well. starting LG sitting right there. Instead we banked on Tyron staying healthy for a season.

conner01

Reaction score
there is certainly history to what you are saying - but i would say the angle is more its the percieved "Value" round for Jerry vs the "fun" round - he knows he can get a 1st round talent with injury history, character concerns or some other blemish most of the time.

Unfortunatly, the value is just good on paper, as history has shown, given that they rarely pan out
We’ve actually done pretty well with 2nd round picks compared to the league average. I wouldn’t trade picks in first 3 rounds with this roster just because with so many now or soon on second contracts the draft is really important in managing the cap. Also hitting on guys like bland. First contracts are the key to affording all those second contracts

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those teams have a GM who is involved and held accountable for his performance. The Cowboys do not have either of those things.
Someday accountability will return to the Cowboys front office…but it may not happen for a very long time.

Jipper

Reaction score
We’ve actually done pretty well with 2nd round picks compared to the league average. I wouldn’t trade picks in first 3 rounds with this roster just because with so many now or soon on second contracts the draft is really important in managing the cap. Also hitting on guys like bland. First contracts are the key to affording all those second contracts
I agree - I don't like trading top 3 round picks either esp with the rookie contract benefits.

conner01

Reaction score
I agree - I don't like trading top 3 round picks either esp with the rookie contract benefits.
There are times it’s logical but we aren’t there. Micah and lamb are gonna be expensive. Biadasz isn’t a super high priced guy but an avg center can be expensive. Depending on when we do Micah we could be out on Dlaws contract but you have to have those picks to replace him and arnstrong about the same time. Managing the cap is so much easier when you draft goid. And overal we do pretty well. Guys like bland are real home ribs since they are real cheap. But he’s gonna get a nice performance bonus like Diggs did after his second year. That’s a great and fair program

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Lol!!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kelvin Joseph, Trystan Hill, lets not forget Taco Charlton in the first over TJ watt. Schoonmaker as well. starting LG sitting right there. Instead we banked on Tyron staying healthy for a season.
Those were not Jerry picks.

Jerry only knows the big name players in the draft.

They let Marinelli make the Taco and Hill picks.

McCarty wanted Schoonmaker.

Joseph was not a Jerry pick but some other GMs might have said no tp his staff based on the character issues.

Local sports media know these issues in great detail but won't put it into print because their jobs depend on access to the team. The Cowboys have denied credentials to some media members in the past...

kevm3

Reaction score
They probably keep the 2nd rounder to keep Jerry from wanting to meddle with the 1st rounder. Look at the rate we hit on 1st rounders vs 2nd

kskboys

Reaction score

I think it's true.

kskboys

Reaction score
Those were not Jerry picks.

Jerry only knows the big name players in the draft.

They let Marinelli make the Taco and Hill picks.

McCarty wanted Schoonmaker.

Joseph was not a Jerry pick but some other GMs might have said no tp his staff based on the character issues.

Local sports media know these issues in great detail but won't put it into print because their jobs depend on access to the team. The Cowboys have denied credentials to some media members in the past...
Jerry is the GM. They're all his picks. If he would do his research as a GM should, some of those picks wouldn't have been made.

kskboys

Reaction score
As someone who has listened to a lot of Coach Q's press conferences, I think he's high on all his guys. Or just knows what to say in the press. He hand picks most of them since he's been here. He was high on Kelvin Joseph too before season began, so I was surprised when they traded him. Same thing for Clark. I firmly believe if any of these guys don't make it, it's not the coaching. Q knows how to size up their talents well, usually drafting them specifically for the defensive role he knows will work for them, and he has a great support staff with guys like Coach Harris to perfect them and do the gameday leading on the field.
Quinn is a good DC. That does not make him a good drafter. Completely different skillset.