The real reason this team doesnt trade second rounders

shabazz

Reaction score
If you have noticed. This team RARELY if ever trades second round picks. I am convinced that the reason behind that is because that is Jerry Jones' fun round. Its where he takes his gambles and feels like a "football guy".

Like he told Jimmy and Parcells. "He wants to be in the dance." "He wants to have fun".

If he trades away his second round fun pick he cant feel special. This is obviously an opinion but judging most of our second rounders over the last 7 years. It isnt too far fetched.
Last season ,the entire football community knew we didn’t have the horses in our WR corp and Jerry’s reaction was to get TY Hilton off the couch for peanuts

This season the entire football world knows that we need a serious roster upgrade at WR, RB or CB…..Jerry will ignore it and the results will be predictable in the playoffs.

Stephen and Charlotte should get power of attorney for Jerry and get him removed and hire a real GM if this team is to succeed

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many times have they moved up with the 2nd round pick? Has that worked out great? Their 2nd round picks have been scary overall.. ....recent example...Kelvin Joseph

I would rather them trade it for a proven commodity if there is a decent deal.
I did not say I agree with it or that they actually trade it, just that I think that is why they keep those picks.

If anything, that might explain why they make some weird second round picks because they view it as their high risk high reward pick when they end up not trading it.

Personally, I would trade out of the first round each year unless I had a top 15 pick or could trade into the top 10. That would give me more in-season trade options and more ability to target non first round picks I really want.

stiletto

Reaction score
I did not say I agree with it or that they actually trade it, just that I think that is why they keep those picks.

If anything, that might explain why they make some weird second round picks because they view it as their high risk high reward pick when they end up not trading it.

Personally, I would trade out of the first round each year unless I had a top 15 pick or could trade into the top 10. That would give me more in-season trade options and more ability to target non first round picks I really want.
100% agree there.

Just stating that I kinda wish they'd trade it more often for a player that is proven. That way we don't have to worry about the next terrible 2nd round pick as much.

fivetwos

Reaction score
No, they need to get better at evaluating draftees.
Yes and no.

They have a reasonably low bust rate for first rounders, and have done well on Saturday the past handful of years.

It’s the 2nd and 3rd rounds that kill them.

No way to say for sure, but I’d speculate that it’s more about approach over getting the board wrong.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Off topic maybe, sorry, but I can’t let it go.

When you see what the value of mid round picks are at this point in time, it’s infuriating that they traded a 2024 5th for the privilege of drafting Eric Scott.

InDakEyeBack

Reaction score
Here is Jerrah and Stephen and the toy is the Cowboys.

f11b6172-5d34-4549-a9df-29e51ccbec14.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.png