Video: The Real Reason Why the Dallas Cowboys Want to Sign Dez Bryant

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
(They don't want to talk about that part!)
I will never make an excuse for a receiver dropping a ball. I'll say the same thing about Amari. If people want to make an argument that he shouldn't be expected to catch that pass against GB that he tipped up for interception earlier this year, then we have no business extending his contract.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bringing up Dez's drops, with our current slate of receivers, is a pretty weak argument!

It's pretty hypocritical to do it with Dez while trying to ignore Amari's drops for sure. And as you mentioned, all three of our receivers were among the most drops in the league. Maybe that's part of the reason why we have a new receivers coach?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will never make an excuse for a receiver dropping a ball. I'll say the same thing about Amari. If people want to make an argument that he shouldn't be expected to catch that pass against GB that he tipped up for interception earlier this year, then we have no business extending his contract.

So you're against re-signing Cooper?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
So you're against re-signing Cooper?
I'm against it if the belief is that play was too difficult for him to make and we should expect similar results in the future. If he can't be expected to make that play, he's not worth the money.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm against it if the belief is that play was too difficult for him to make and we should expect similar results in the future. If he can't be expected to make that play, he's not worth the money.

I think that's an unreachable standard and one that no receiver is truly going to measure up to.

aikemirv

Reaction score
It's pretty hypocritical to do it with Dez while trying to ignore Amari's drops for sure. And as you mentioned, all three of our receivers were among the most drops in the league. Maybe that's part of the reason why we have a new receivers coach?

I think drops are contagious through a team. Amari started it and then it went to Cobb and Gallup. I think a bit of it is on Dak as well because the receivers really don't know where to expect the ball and get frustrated.

It's a mental thing and gets worse the more you dwell on it.

For Dez, it was a huge mental thing. It's funny because the video Aviano90 posted was an atypical drop where the receiver was late getting his hands up because of hand fighting and he had to turn and jump for the ball. It is a drop but not the kind I get irritated with.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I think that's an unreachable standard and one that no receiver is truly going to measure up to.
But it's not. It's simply an elimination of an excuse for a mistake. If one wants to argue that pass was too difficult for Amari to catch because it was slightly behind him, then there should be no argument that he is worth top dollar.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think drops are contagious through a team. Amari started it and then it went to Cobb and Gallup. I think a bit of it is on Dak as well because the receivers really don't know where to expect the ball and get frustrated.

I'd have to say that it's a combination of factors, including to some extent, the quarterback. Amari has a history of some inexplicable drops throughout his career, and Gallup clearly has a history as well. But with Cobb, I believe one year he had the fewest drops in the league, and then after arriving here, they're way up. A disturbing pattern and frustrating trend. This offense would have been so much more effective without that large number of drops.

It's a mental thing and gets worse the more you dwell on it.

For Dez, it was a huge mental thing. It's funny because the video Aviano90 posted was an atypical drop where the receiver was late getting his hands up because of hand fighting and he had to turn and jump for the ball. It is a drop but not the kind I get irritated with.

I don't make any excuses for it, Dez should have caught that one. And as you mentioned, a lot of it is a mental thing, and Dez was not in a good state of mind at the time, or after he was cut, he admits that himself. He's clearly an emotional guy and he allowed those emotions to get the better of him. In some ways, his passion is a great thing, in other ways a terrible thing.

He says he has a better handle on them, and I would give him the chance to prove it. If not, he's gone.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But it's not. It's simply an elimination of an excuse for a mistake. If one wants to argue that pass was too difficult for Amari to catch because it was slightly behind him, then there should be no argument that he is worth top dollar.

I'm not basing a $100 million decision off of any one play.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I don't make any excuses for it, Dez should have caught that one. And as you mentioned, a lot of it is a mental thing, and Dez was not in a good state of mind at the time, or after he was cut, he admits that himself. He's clearly an emotional guy and he allowed those emotions to get the better of him. In some ways, his passion is a great thing, in other ways a terrible thing.

He says he has a better handle on them, and I would give him the chance to prove it. If not, he's gone.
Bingo. The dude struggled, acknowledged it, has tried to work on it, may have become humbled by it and can possibly come back and help the team. I'm all for it when this argument is made.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bingo. The dude struggled, acknowledged it, has tried to work on it, may have become humbled by it and can possibly come back and help the team. I'm all for it when this argument is made.

:thumbup:

Glad to hear it. That's all I'm advocating for, an opportunity. A chance to work against actual competition on a 90-man roster. To show if he does or doesn't still have it, or being anything that might help this team. To prove that he has been humbled and has learned to keep his emotions in check and get along. As well as an opportunity for the new staff to sit down with him and actually lay out what they expect from him and what will not be tolerated. And if in any way he cannot abide by that? Cut him without a second thought.

Nothing more.

kskboys

Reaction score
I have no prob as a #3 WR if Cobb leaves. When Dez said he would like to replace Witten if he is leaving..

Some thought. Dez was saying he wanted to play TE.

Nah..

He wanted Witten's opportunities to move the chains.

I believe he could. He could also go wide and one of the wideouts play the slot. Actually makes alot of sense.

:eek:
Since he refused to run sharp routes to create separation when he was here, what in tarnation makes you think he'd suddenly be willing to now?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since he refused to run sharp routes to create separation when he was here, what in tarnation makes you think he'd suddenly be willing to now?

He has been working on them with receivers coach David Robinson for the past two years. Whthere he's been successful in that or not, he has been putting in the work.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
That's not necessarily true. It's possible Dez is an option if either Cooper or Cobb can't be re-signed, and they are waiting to see about that before making a decision on Dez.
Bryant isn't a slot WR.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bryant isn't a slot WR.
Cooper has played slot, but even aside from that, without Cobb the team could decide to try and upgrade the overall WR group. They could easily find a way to get Dez, Cooper and Gallup on the field at the same time.

To be clear, I'm not saying this is in the Cowboys mind, or even that it should be. Personally I'm not a big fan of signing Dez. I was just pointing out that it's not necessarily true that they would have signed him by now if they were going to - that it's at least possible they are deferring that decision until they see how things work out with the efforts to sign Cooper and Cobb..