Video: The Real Reason Why the Dallas Cowboys Want to Sign Dez Bryant

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
tenor.gif
Look at that! He caught it and then made a football move toward the goal line before it came loose. Get Blandino on the horn. This is a travesty!!

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Cooper has played slot, but even aside from that, without Cobb the team could decide to try and upgrade the overall WR group. They could easily find a way to get Dez, Cooper and Gallup on the field at the same time.

To be clear, I'm not saying this is in the Cowboys mind, or even that it should be. Personally I'm not a big fan of signing Dez. I was just pointing out that it's not necessarily true that they would have signed him by now if they were going to - that it's at least possible they are deferring that decision until they see how things work out with the efforts to sign Cooper and Cobb..
Your last sentence hits it.
:hammer:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper has played slot, but even aside from that, without Cobb the team could decide to try and upgrade the overall WR group. They could easily find a way to get Dez, Cooper and Gallup on the field at the same time.

To be clear, I'm not saying this is in the Cowboys mind, or even that it should be. Personally I'm not a big fan of signing Dez. I was just pointing out that it's not necessarily true that they would have signed him by now if they were going to - that it's at least possible they are deferring that decision until they see how things work out with the efforts to sign Cooper and Cobb..

I agree.

And honestly, what's the point in rushing to sign him right now? What's the team doing? Let him do his thing and monitor his progress. Heck, it's happening right under your noses anyway. If you like what you see and the coaches are on board, you bring him in at some point in the OTA process and see how things look, nothing more.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I don't remember the FO ever saying they "wanted to bring Dez back", I believe JJ said not to rule it out but that was the extent of it. People are blowing the waaaay up, talk is cheap, I doubt Dez ever comes back....
Dez has to pass a physical first.

He may not be able to at all.

We just do not know.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dez has always had the ability to sink his hips and make sharp cuts. Used to drive me crazy when he'd refuse to do so.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This may be interesting only to me, but I'm going to put it out here for people interested to check out anyway.

One of this team's biggest issues recently has been red zone scoring. It was atrocious in 2018 and still an issue last year, despite the high yardage numbers.

And one of Dez Bryant's strengths has always been red zone scoring.

Here's a handy ranking of red zone scoring percentage:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct?date=2020-02-03

Take a look for yourselves at how this team has done over the past several years with and without Dez Bryant.

Something to think about.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

Bryant doesn't have the body type or the route running ability for the slot to justify signing him over Cobb; if Cobb goes elsewhere I would draft or find a slot WR. And there is just no way I put him at the NO. 1 position. Based on opinion, of course. Bryant doesn't have the speed or explosiveness. His "highlight videos" are just awful.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bryant doesn't have the body type or the route running ability for the slot to justify signing him over Cobb; if Cobb goes elsewhere I would draft or find a slot WR. And there is just no way I put him at the NO. 1 position. Based on opinion, of course. Bryant doesn't have the speed or explosiveness. His "highlight videos" are just awful.
I didn't say anything about signing him over Cobb, nor did I say Dez was a good option, or an option the Cowboys would or should consider. I simply said that the fact the Cowboys haven't signed Dak doesn't prove they wouldn't consider it later on depending on circumstances.

Proof

Reaction score
Isn’t he supposed to be some physical beast that people believe will help in the red zone and he can’t come down with that catch? Yeah, don’t need that.

what's happened to this board when every single thing is boiled down to it's worst example?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
what's happened to this board when every single thing is boiled down to it's worst example?
It's common here. Depending on the desired narrative, many will use the worst or best example as if it is representative of the norm.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Read the thread. It's not about the drop. All players make mistakes. It's that his biggest supporters made excuses that the drop wasn't his fault because the pass wasn't perfect. So, the question is, if he can't be expected to make that play because the ball wasn't perfect, what exactly is the argument for bring him in?

It's already been discussed and maybe you've caught up to the conversation already.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about signing him over Cobb, nor did I say Dez was a good option, or an option the Cowboys would or should consider. I simply said that the fact the Cowboys haven't signed Dak doesn't prove they wouldn't consider it later on depending on circumstances.
Read your post I responded to. I never said YOU said anything! You said the team could decide to upgrade and could easily get Dez, Cooper and Gallup on the field. I was simply pointing out that it's an unrealistic assumption based on personnel. And, at this point talent.
Another thing is if it were truly a possibility later depending on circumstances, why would they wait? It would cost nothing to bring him in and let him go.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Read your post I responded to. I never said YOU said anything! You said the team could decide to upgrade and could easily get Dez, Cooper and Gallup on the field. I was simply pointing out that it's an unrealistic assumption based on personnel. And, at this point talent.
Another thing is if it were truly a possibility later depending on circumstances, why would they wait? It would cost nothing to bring him in and let him go.

Why would they need to do anything now? As if that is a factor one way or another? There's nobody there, certainly not under current circumstances. The fact that they haven't signed him or not as of today means nothing one way or ther other.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Why would they need to do anything now? As if that is a factor one way or another? There's nobody there, certainly not under current circumstances. The fact that they haven't signed him or not as of today means nothing one way or ther other.
If I were considering roster options and there was a realistic option I found a good fit, I wouldn't take the chance of waiting for another team picking him up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I were considering roster options and there was a realistic option I found a good fit, I wouldn't take the chance of waiting for another team picking him up.

But aren't you saying that nobody else wants Dez anyway? Which is it? Is there no market whatsoever or is there a rush? Pick a side.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You did quote me, so I assumed your response was directed toward what you quoted.

As for what I said being an unreasonable assumption, I did not assume the having Dez, Cooper and Gallup on the field was a great fit or that the Cowboys would like the idea of that grouping. I said they could easily do it, not that they would want to. And frankly, it's not at all unrealistic to think of Cooper as a slot receiver. He's done it before, and frankly there is no rule that says a slot receiver has to play slot at all times or that he has to be a secondary player. Tyreek Hill plays slot. Antonio Brown played outside, but frequently moved into the slot. Edelman plays slot.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
But aren't you saying that nobody else wants Dez anyway? Which is it? Is there no market whatsoever or is there a rush? Pick a side.
Are teams bringing him in for workouts?

There's your answer.