The reality is, Brad Johnson is our best chance with Romo out.

aquavita

Reaction score
I've seen some pretty ridiculous crap on here the last few days.

Bring back Quincy? Matt Moore?

Bollinger? Bollinger was available to be signed for a reason.

Behind the terrible play of this offensive line, no one would win, period. Not Romo(as we have seen) not Tom Brady, no one. Except someone who can at least have the maturity to avoid flagrant turnovers. (see the bucs game)

Johnson is not the problem. You can't throw downfield to receivers when they can't get ten yards down the field before 3 defensive linemen are in your face. Of course checkdowns are your only option at that point.

The running game can't get on track when the line sucks. This restricts your passing game severely. Don't you guys know anything about football?

Yes, Johnson is not the greatest quarterback, but I refuse to believe you've actually watched football for more than 6 months total if you think he is the reason behind the crappy play of the offense the last few wees.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
aquavita;2379701 said:

Behind the terrible play of this offensive line, no one would win, period. Not Romo(as we have seen) not Tom Brady, no one. Except someone who can at least have the maturity to avoid flagrant turnovers. (see the bucs game)

Johnson is not the problem. You can't throw downfield to receivers when they can't get ten yards down the field before 3 defensive linemen are in your face. Of course checkdowns are your only option at that point.

The running game can't get on track when the line sucks. This restricts your passing game severely. Don't you guys know anything about football?

Yes, Johnson is not the greatest quarterback, but I refuse to believe you've actually watched football for more than 6 months total if you think he is the reason behind the crappy play of the offense the last few wees.
your credibility is gone

aquavita

Reaction score
Rampage;2379710 said:
your credibility is gone

Wow, with such a scathing and thorough critique of my position, I don't know how I can ever respond!

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
aquavita;2379713 said:
Wow, with such a scathing and thorough critique of my position, I don't know how I can ever respond!
the o-line was ok on Sunday. Brad missed a bunch of throws including 2 would-have-been tds to Owens. Brad is the problem.

aquavita

Reaction score
Rampage;2379718 said:
the o-line was ok on Sunday. Brad missed a bunch of throws including 2 would-have-been tds to Owens. Brad is the problem.

And brooks bollinger surely would have made those throws! Oh wait.

How many yards did Barber have on Sunday?

So you think Romo just started sucking lately for no apparent reason?

Really?

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
aquavita;2379723 said:
And brooks bollinger surely would have made those throws! Oh wait.

How many yards did Barber have on Sunday?

So you think Romo just started sucking lately for no apparent reason?

Really?
well since they were 10+ yard throws he woulda had a better shot than grandpa Johnson.

Barber had i think 77 yards against the 8th best rush D in the league.

if Barber stopped dancing so much and just hit the hole he woulda had more

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
aquavita;2379701 said:

Not the last FEW weeks. We were haveing some problems before he arrived. But you will not convince me that we could not have gotten more than 122 passing yards with almost any other Pro QB back there. How many wide open receivers did he just outright miss when he DID get a chance to throw? I remember seeing him simply blow the throw to open guys at least 5 times.

Checkdowns were his only option because he no longer has the arm strength to or the legs (and I don't mean running the ball) to get the ball down the field. If he had the mobility of even Drew Bledsoe he could have bought time in the pocket on several plays. He just threw at (not to) his checkdown guy or stood there and let them come get him. With just a little slide in the pocket a few times maybe checkdowns wouldn't have been his only option.

His experience does not do a damn bit of good if he no longer has the tools to execute even the most basic of throws. And from what I have seen the last two weeks the limited tools that he once had are long gone.

BTW I have been watching football a damn site longer than 6 months.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
aquavita;2379701 said:
A better QB makes his line better. See the Bledsoe to Romo difference. A QB who is not mobile, has an extremely weak arm, and one of the slowest releases I've ever seen is not going to help make any Oline good. While the Oline is far from what they can do, having Johnson back there only makes matters worse.
Johnson IS the problem. When you take away a main element of a passing game (deep threats) then you become one demensional in the passing game, which trickles down to the running game. Facing defenses who refuse to worry about a deep ball, and continue to stack 8 to stop the run is going to be hard to beat.
Do you know anything about football. Read what I stated above.

Johnson is awful, at the most important position in football. He is the root of our problem. While he is not the ONLY problem we have, he IS the root of it. If you fail to believe that, thats your opinion.

aquavita

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2379728 said:
Johnson IS the problem. When you take away a main element of a passing game (deep threats) then you become one demensional in the passing game, which trickles down to the running game. Facing defenses who refuse to worry about a deep ball, and continue to stack 8 to stop the run is going to be hard to beat.

Uh, ok dude. You START the game by establishing the run. Everybody knows this. We have largely been unable to do that. (part of this is coaching. There's zero reason that Choice got no touches in the last game. That's just crappy coaching)

If you fail to believe that, thats your opinion.

Indeed.

A better QB makes his line better. See the Bledsoe to Romo difference. A QB who is not mobile, has an extremely weak arm, and one of the slowest releases I've ever seen is not going to help make any Oline good. While the Oline is far from what they can do, having Johnson back there only makes matters worse.

Bollinger is worse, and makes worse decisions. I guess if you consider intercepted passes 40 yards down the field like a sort of bizzaro "punt" then I'll see your point. He is a horrible q-b and at this point Johnson gives us the best chance to win.

Don't screw up, don't throw picks. etc.

I'll take a sack over a pick any day, given the two choices.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
aquavita;2379734 said:
Uh, ok dude. You START the game by establishing the run. Everybody knows this. We have largely been unable to do that. (part of this is coaching. There's zero reason that Choice got no touches in the last game. That's just crappy coaching)

First off stop being so condescending with your posts. Develop some credibility first before you start trying to tell people whats what.

Second, as I have stated, when a team does not fear the opposing team throwing a deep ball at all, they are going to put more people on the line of scrimmage to stop the run, and to cover underneath passes. That should be very easy to comprehend for you. It has nothing to do with starting a game to develop a run, or vice versa.

Bollinger is worse, and makes worse decisions. I guess if you consider intercepted passes 40 yards down the field like a sort of bizzaro "punt" then I'll see your point. He is a horrible q-b and at this point Johnson gives us the best chance to win.
How about the fact, that his stats over his last ten games are better than Brad Johnson. And how about the fact that he can avoid SOME pressure, unlike Johnson who plays RIGHT into what the Giants want. Or how about the 2.8 YPP that we had with Johnson at the helm. Again, defenses dont fear the deep ball.

Yeah, like the three picks Johnson threw against the Rams :rolleyes:

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
aquavita;2379734 said:
That is the generally accepted traditional way to do it. However, when they stack 8 in the box you have to back them out of it by throwing the ball if they don't back out of it you keep throwing the ball. (See how the Titans beat the Colts tonight).

I don't know that Bollinger is worse since I have not seen him play with this team and in this offense. I honestly fail to see how he could be worse. And if you must throw a pick it is definitely better to be 40 yards down the field than 5 yards down the field. If we play Johnson I don't see any way we can beat the Giants since he can not longer make even the easy throws.

And you are saying that Johnson doesn't do these things? He threw 3 picks the first week and the Bucs dropped at least two seemingly sure picks. And he takes unnecessary sacks because he lacks any form of mobility.

I'll take a sack over a pick any day, given the two choices.
Me too...But with Johnson you get both.

aquavita

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2379745 said:
First off stop being so condescending with your posts. Develop some credibility first before you start trying to tell people whats what.

Sorry. I'm aggravated at all the idiots saying they miss Chad and Quincy and how my grandma could win a game sooner than Brad Johnson. It's 'grass is greener' reactionary garbage.

Second, as I have stated, when a team does not fear the opposing team throwing a deep ball at all, they are going to put more people on the line of scrimmage to stop the run, and to cover underneath passes. That should be very easy to comprehend for you. It has nothing to do with starting a game to develop a run, or vice versa.

They may load a safety in the box, but at some point they're going to have to account for both Roy and TO. If Brad can stay on his feet I am confident that he can hit them. I know he has had missed throws, but they were almost all because of people right in his face. The oline has to do better, bottom line.

Yeah, like the three picks Johnson threw against the Rams :rolleyes:

He threw fewer picks(zero) against a much better bucs team. Romo himself has had 3 pick games behind bad olines. It does matter, a lot.

MrMom

Reaction score
aquavita;2379701 said:

:laugh2:

People really drive home their points when they're condescending.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
aquavita;2379751 said:
:lmao2:

He threw fewer picks(zero) against a much better bucs team.

And in turn we put up the fewest yards in a win in franchise history.

Nice trade off.

"Hey guess what guys, we can either speed to work and be late because we got pulled over 4 times, or we can go the speed limit and get there 30 minutes late"

aquavita

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2379755 said:
And in turn we put up the fewest yards in a win in franchise history.

Nice trade off.

"Hey guess what guys, we can either speed to work and be late because we got pulled over 4 times, or we can go the speed limit and get there 30 minutes late"

It's still a W. The defense bailed him out, yeah. But it is not like it hasn't happened exactly like that with Romo. See my above post.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
aquavita;2379760 said:
It's still a W. The defense bailed him out, yeah. But it is not like it hasn't happened exactly like that with Romo. See my above post.

About defenses worrying about Roy and TO?

If you're talking about downfield, they dont. Brad has no arm strength so there is no velocity to his throws. Therefore, throwing deep requires him to put so much air underneath it, that it allows defenders to catch up to the ball even if Roy and TO beats their man.

His release is slow as well, combined with the fact that he has to really step into his throws makes the Giants pass rush even more fearful.

I'm telling you, any QB but Johnson will be an improvement. Not making mistakes and "being a vet" can only get you so far. Eventually, physical tools take over. Johnson doesnt have them anymore.

BadKarma

Reaction score
Brad Johnson's limitation is the direct result of the defensive scheme that our opponents are implementing. Without a vertical passing game, you can't keep the defense honest, resulting in 7-8 men crowding the line of scrimmage and reducing Barber's opportunity to be effective.