The reality is, Brad Johnson is our best chance with Romo out.

aquavita

Reaction score
BadKarma;2379773 said:
Brad Johnson's limitation is the direct result of the defensive scheme that our opponents are implementing. Without a vertical passing game, you can't keep the defense honest, resulting in 7-8 men crowding the line of scrimmage and reducing Barber's opportunity to be effective.

So who did we have as a 'deep threat' before, when Romo was doing so well throwing to TO over the middle 10=15 yard passes?

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
aquavita;2379774 said:
So who did we have as a 'deep threat' before, when Romo was doing so well throwing to TO over the middle 10=15 yard passes?

Romo can throw the ball deep. He has more arm strength. It's simple, dont try to make it harder than it is while trying to make it fit your agenda.

aquavita

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2379775 said:
Romo can throw the ball deep. He has more arm strength. It's simple, dont try to make it harder than it is while trying to make it fit your agenda.

I'm just double checking here: You're unaware of many commentators, and football analysts making note of our utter lack of a deep threat since Glenn went down?

Right?

romo can throw downfield, but to whom? Miles Austin? Really?

You didn't answer my question.

GOLDENCHILD1688

Reaction score
Rampage;2379710 said:
your credibility is gone
i dont even think he watched the game

how many times did he miss open recievers streaking down field?

even that pass to owens which talib tipped, had it been placed properly, t.o. breaks it for a td or at least its a big gain.

his throws were terrible as well as his mechanics. it was suprising to see a veteran qb 40 yrs of age consistently missing recievers in stride and throwing off his back foot. one of the major donts of the position

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
aquavita;2379776 said:
I'm just double checking here: You're unaware of many commentators, and football analysts making note of our utter lack of a deep threat since Glenn went down?

Right?

romo can throw downfield, but to whom? Miles Austin? Really?

You didn't answer my question.

Did you watch any of our games? Perhaps you missed the bomb to TO in the opener. Or maybe the 70 some yarder against the Eagles. Or Miles Austin having 2 catches for something like 115 yards against the Packers.

Again, its simple. Romo can throw deep, Brad Johnson cant. Dont know why you cant come to terms with it.

aquavita

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2379779 said:
Again, its simple. Romo can throw deep, Brad Johnson cant. Dont know why you cant come to terms with it.

I've never once disagreed with this. What I'm saying is that this issue in particular is not why we've been losing(or almost) losing games. Like many things in life, it is complicated and does not have an easy answer. (this one has 5 answers. LT, LG, C, RG, RT)

edit: 6 answers if you count coaching

BadKarma

Reaction score
aquavita;2379774 said:

My point is with Brad Johnson, our vertical passing is no longer a threat. When defenses know you have an ineffective passing game, the safeties and corners begin to cheat towards the line, thus taking a chance that BJ won't take a chance at exploiting man-to-man coverage with no help.

When Romo is in, defenses must respect our receivers much more, thus limiting the opportunity for blitzes, resulting in Barber having more lanes to run.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
aquavita;2379701 said:
Behind the terrible play of this offensive line, no one would win, period. Not Romo(as we have seen) not Tom Brady, no one.

In some cell in Virgina Mike Vick is challenging you he could win behind our offensive line with our talent

BadKarma

Reaction score
aquavita;2379783 said:
I've never once disagreed with this. What I'm saying is that this issue in particular is not why we've been losing(or almost) losing games. Like many things in life, it is complicated and does not have an easy answer. (this one has 5 answers. LT, LG, C, RG, RT)

But you are right in the sense that our OL must play better. This is evident in how ineffective at times Romo was before he was injured.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
aquavita;2379783 said:

My opinion? Our team bought into their own hype and werent playing with any heart.

I'm not saying our Oline has been playing well...because they havent. However having BJ back there only makes matters worse given his physical limitations.

Like I said before, look at the difference between our Oline with Bledsoe and Romo. Bledsoe at least had a cannon for an arm.

aquavita

Reaction score
BadKarma;2379784 said:
My point is with Brad Johnson, our vertical passing is no longer a threat. When defenses know you have an ineffective passing game, the safeties and corners begin to cheat towards the line, thus taking a chance that BJ won't take a chance at exploiting man-to-man coverage with no help.

Yeah I see the point here. I still just feel that with better protection upfront, the throws can be made. Sure not 50 yard bombs but most of TO's career tds have not been 50 yard bombs. He makes his money YAC.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Brad can not make all the throws of a NFL QB therefor he shouldn't be a NFL QB!!!!!!!!!!

BadKarma

Reaction score
aquavita;2379789 said:
Yeah I see the point here. I still just feel that with better protection upfront, the throws can be made. Sure not 50 yard bombs but most of TO's career tds have not been 50 yard bombs. He makes his money YAC.

You make a great point in that an offense can only become effective if the OL is able to protect the QB. It all starts up front and based on how well they perform, will dictate how well our offense is able to execute.

Good topic and your argument is well taken.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Not unlike Romo's introduction to the NFL, will Bollinger get the call in the 2nd half against the Giants should our immobile QB get battered?...I wonder

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
aquavita;2379789 said:

Not trying to be mean, but did you watch the game?

Johnson had plenty of chances and he did not take advantage of them. This coming with the Bucs defense playing directly into Johnsons strengths.

The Giants are nothing like the Bucs defensively. Their defense plays directly into the weaknesses of BJ's game.

aquavita

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2379794 said:
Not trying to be mean, but did you watch the game?

Johnson had plenty of chances and he did not take advantage of them. This coming with the Bucs defense playing directly into Johnsons strengths.

The Giants are nothing like the Bucs defensively. Their defense plays directly into the weaknesses of BJ's game.

Yeah I watched the game. The Bucs defense is nothing to sneeze at. I also watch nearly ever gints game, and I know what we're up against. They have the best pash rush I have seen in the last 5 years. It's stupid scary.

So what can we do to beat that pass rush? If you guess smack the oline around and tell them to do their job, you guessed right. Would it be nice to have a better qb than Johnson? well yeah but there's only a few days till the game is played. This is what we have, and what I mean when I say he gives us the best chance. I really wonder if many people ever watched b-boll play. He really sucks in a way that redefines the word 'suck'. In the face of such pressure he'd fold in an instant and have a 4 pick game, I'm sure of it.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
aquavita;2379797 said:
Yeah I watched the game. The Bucs defense is nothing to sneeze at. I also watch nearly ever gints game, and I know what we're up against. They have the best pash rush I have seen in the last 5 years. It's stupid scary.

So what can we do to beat that pass rush? If you guess smack the oline around and tell them to do their job, you guessed right. Would it be nice to have a better qb than Johnson? well yeah but there's only a few days till the game is played. This is what we have, and what I mean when I say he gives us the best chance. I really wonder if many people ever watched b-boll play. He really sucks in a way that redefines the word 'suck'. In the face of such pressure he'd fold in an instant and have a 4 pick game, I'm sure of it.

Use their aggressiveness against them. Heavy does of draws, misdirections, screens, and gadget plays.

You know they're going to be pinning their ears back. Use it to your advantage.

To answer your question, I havent really seen Bolinger in the pros. Only in college at Wisc.

aquavita

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2379803 said:
Use their aggressiveness against them. Heavy does of draws, misdirections, screens, and gadget plays.

Well yes, of course. The problem is they have great linebackers, and they actually don't blitz all that often anyway. They do it with the guys upfront which makes it worse for us. Draws I don't think will be so effective, but yeah i'd use a ton of reverses and maybe a few counters. Got to have Choice in there somewhere though because barber will get tired really fast.

aquavita

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2379803 said:

You know they're going to be pinning their ears back. Use it to your advantage.

To answer your question, I havent really seen Bolinger in the pros. Only in college at Wisc.

Also, in order to set up gadget plays and misdirections, you need time. Time we haven't been getting with this line.

Undisputed

Reaction score
Agreed that Brad Johnson is realistically our best shot to win (ouch). However, he is still a BIG problem. Missing open receivers as much as he has is simply devastating, and there is really no excuse.

The only good thing about him is that he takes care of the football and motivates our defense with his dreadful play.