The reality is, Brad Johnson is our best chance with Romo out.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
aquavita;2379808 said:
Also, in order to set up gadget plays and misdirections, you need time. Time we haven't been getting with this line.

The point of misdirections and gadgets is to get the defense to over-pursue/over commit. Time is always needed, but it is needed less with the aforementioned because the main purpose of the plays.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
aquavita;2379797 said:
Yeah I watched the game. The Bucs defense is nothing to sneeze at. I also watch nearly ever gints game, and I know what we're up against. They have the best pash rush I have seen in the last 5 years. It's stupid scary.

So what can we do to beat that pass rush? If you guess smack the oline around and tell them to do their job, you guessed right. Would it be nice to have a better qb than Johnson? well yeah but there's only a few days till the game is played. This is what we have, and what I mean when I say he gives us the best chance. I really wonder if many people ever watched b-boll play. He really sucks in a way that redefines the word 'suck'. In the face of such pressure he'd fold in an instant and have a 4 pick game, I'm sure of it.

We could start by getting some of the RB's/TE's to chip before the leave the LoS. If MB3 or Witten lays out one of those edge pass rushers they will think twice and that will help Flo out they won't be able to go so wide and if they do they gotta be concerned with the chip.... I think that's been the thing that has been pissing me off

aquavita

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2379812 said:
We could start by getting some of the RB's/TE's to chip before the leave the LoS. If MB3 or Witten lays out one of those edge pass rushers they will think twice and that will help Flo out they won't be able to go so wide and if they do they gotta be concerned with the chip.... I think that's been the thing that has been pissing me off

yeah this is what most offenses do to d-ware and ellis, and sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't. Remember that when a guy chips, pretty much the only option on his route is either goin to be a screen or a dump off pass. It's not pretty but yeah it might make defenses slow it down a bit

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
aquavita;2379815 said:
yeah this is what most offenses do to d-ware and ellis, and sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't. Remember that when a guy chips, pretty much the only option on his route is either goin to be a screen or a dump off pass. It's not pretty but yeah it might make defenses slow it down a bit

I don't think RB route deep routes to much so we should be alright there....also Witten should be chipping.....If we are having trouble with speed edge rushers a simple adjustment could make our pass blocking look good.

aquavita

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2379817 said:
I don't think RB route deep routes to much so we should be alright there

I dreamed about it when Felix was healthy :(

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
This thread is a good read. Both sides have valid points.

The team was turning into a team that depended on Romo winning the game. That led to Romo getting nailed by sitting back in pocket. The O-line suffered.

The last few games ARE VERY TELLING. This defense is being asked to be "game changers"... AND THEY ARE.

We need that more than we need Romo right now.

As bad as Johnson is... he is a rusty, old and a former starting QB. But I would rather suffer with point scoring and really see the rest of team step up.

Giants game is not a must win... certainly not a must win at all costs.

I say we go after Eli and WR's and make both pay for EVERYTHING they get... even if it means giving up a big play here and there... I want them to feel it coming and feel it when they get hit.

AtomicDog

Reaction score
I don't think Johnson or Bollinger is the answer. But If I had to go with one, it would definitely be Johnson. He's gotten more reps and has experience. I'm just hoping that more of the rust comes off. I don't see us beating the Giants with Bollinger at all. With Johnson it will have to be another 16-13 type game.

On a side note, can we let Choice run the ball some on sunday??

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think the Cowboys will announce Bollinger the starter tomorrow evening sometime.

It just makes to much sense.

With Brad its all but an auto loss.

With Bollinger at least there is potential upside. If Romo gets hurt again they will be wishing they played Bollinger in this game because Brad has NO shot of getting us where we need to go.

He has lost it completely physically.

Its a good move short term and long term. Tomorrow Bollinger will be named the Starter

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You guys seriously think Bollinger will start vs. the Giants in the Meadowlands with 2 1/2 days of practice under his belt?

aquavita

Reaction score
AtomicDog;2379958 said:
On a side note, can we let Choice run the ball some on sunday??

No kidding. I keep saying this as well, and I have a feeling the coaches will get it this weekend. We're going to have to lean on our running game harder than ever. It's not fair, but as one coach used to say "it is what it is."

jdnelson103

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with the statement that both sides have a valid argument.

Johnson may be able to play at the age of 40, but it won't be for this offense. Garrett has designed the play book for a QB with the complete opposite skill set of BJ. He might still call most of the same plays, but the defense doesn't game plan against them the same.

If our receivers run further than 10-12 yards down field, the cornerbacks let them go because they know there is absolutely no threat of Brad looking their way. That's an advantage for the defense. Any quarterback that gives the other team that big of an advantage, should not be playing.

I'll agree that the OL has been terrible at some points this season, but that was not the case against the Bucs. That can't be an excuse.

Unless our defense forces some turnovers and returns them to within field goal range, I would be hard pressed to say we stand a chance of beating the Giants with Johnson at QB. At least NY would have to be concerned with Brooks going deep so the CBs wouldn't be able to just let them go.