The reason Dak isn't signed yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Nothing like still fixating on a pay day years down the road after you watched your ankle snap in half.

Turning down market price for a life changing amount of money when you aren't all that great and have yet to win a thing is just pure greed.

Not to mention you can't pass a physical.

It really may be time to think about moving on....if you're the Dallas FO that is.
:hammer:
Damn, son. That was powerful, bloke!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Well, the fans have turned on him in droves, so the fan thing may be done and gone.

The 2 years of drama is a little souring all the way around, but I don't think too many have personally "turned on him". Some *still* don't think he's worth the money, and a QB is gonna get haters unless we're winning SBs, but I think the general level of support for him is high.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The 2 years of drama is a little souring all the way around, but I don't think too many have personally "turned on him". Some *still* don't think he's worth the money, and a QB is gonna get haters unless we're winning SBs, but I think the general level of support for him is high.
Right

Id say the support locally for Dak is still strong despite the fact he’s playing hardball . The overall criticism is on our dysfunctional ownership for not getting a deal done sooner . Like we expect Dak to get cheaper the longer this plays out.

And as a result it’s going to cost our franchise even more or lose our QB. Neither of which is good for Cowboys Football.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
a fair offer depends on the point of view of those directly involved in the negotiations. nobody else matters, as they have no stake in the game.
Fair offer....Fans can’t define

The market defines fair offer.

All we need is to look around other recent offers to define fair. I’d begin with Watsons most recent deal. Wilson’s was a good barometer last year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If you want to know where the fans stand on the negotiations open up a local newspaper, turn on the radio or flip on the local sportscast.

Our ownership is being blasted, not our QB.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
But there’s no deal if he doesn’t agree. Instead we call that an offer. And I’ve heard that offer referred to as a reneged deal. I’m not sure that’s how I’d interpret it.

We could have had a deal for 35 per if we’d gone with 4 years. I bet they wished they had. That deal looks pretty good now. I’m not sure why we thought it would get better waiting?

Dak holds all the cards. It’s either going to cost us more or we’ll lose him. Neither of which is good for Cowboys Football. And our ownership should be and is being blasted for.

Look, if I am doing business with a partner or a customer and I commit to something, say on the golf course for example, it's a big mistake for me to later go back and pull a deal I've agreed to. If you agree to a deal, and then you pull out of it for no good reason, that's bad business. Does it happen, sure, it obviously does on occasion but it's not good business and I would not expect anybody I might have been dealing with to continue to do business with me. In fact, I would expect them not to, to be honest because I've seen it happen before. So it was not an offer and that's not what it's called. It's called an accepted offer verbally. But hey, I'm not involved so whatever....

But I will tell you this, 35 for 4 years for Dak doesn't look any better to me now then it did then. He's not worth 35 but he is especially not worth 35 with a busted ankle. Again, I'm not involved so what will happen will happen.

Dak holds all the cards, till he doesn't. Jerry and this team allow Dak to play them but it doesn't have to be that way. Jerry could pull the plug on this today and be good. If the team wanted to trade Dak, they could and they would get value out of him. So you can say that Dak holds all the cards, you can even believe it if you wish but, Jerry really has final control and he isn't going to lose on this deal, no matter what happens. He will either get a deal signed or he will trade Dak and get much more back for him then a 4th round pick. That's just the truth of it IMO.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Look, if I am doing business with a partner or a customer and I commit to something, say on the golf course for example, it's a big mistake for me to later go back and pull a deal I've agreed to. If you agree to a deal, and then you pull out of it for no good reason, that's bad business. Does it happen, sure, it obviously does on occasion but it's not good business and I would not expect anybody I might have been dealing with to continue to do business with me. In fact, I would expect them not to, to be honest because I've seen it happen before. So it was not an offer and that's not what it's called. It's called an accepted offer verbally. But hey, I'm not involved so whatever....

But I will tell you this, 35 for 4 years for Dak doesn't look any better to me now then it did then. He's not worth 35 but he is especially not worth 35 with a busted ankle. Again, I'm not involved so what will happen will happen.

Dak holds all the cards, till he doesn't. Jerry and this team allow Dak to play them but it doesn't have to be that way. Jerry could pull the plug on this today and be good. If the team wanted to trade Dak, they could and they would get value out of him. So you can say that Dak holds all the cards, you can even believe it if you wish but, Jerry really has final control and he isn't going to lose on this deal, no matter what happens. He will either get a deal signed or he will trade Dak and get much more back for him then a 4th round pick. That's just the truth of it IMO.
You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. I would agree that Jethro can withdraw at any time.

But ultimately not getting Dak signed earlier is either going to cost the Cowboys millions or losing their QB. Which neither is good for Cowboys Football.

I’d call that a lose lose situation. And Dak will go on to sign another contract elsewhere while we look to find another QB. It could take years for us to recover. All for what in the end . One year less on a deal ?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Fair offer....Fans can’t define

The market defines fair offer.

All we need is to look around other recent offers to define fair. I’d begin with Watsons most recent deal. Wilson’s was a good barometer last year.

So, tell me, what has the market offered for a QB who is injured and can't play football? What are the recent offers for those QBs? I'm going to try and just convey my opinions here. Any offer from last year is a poor barometer because one, the financial implications of a Covid season make it very different and two, Watson signed up for a 6 year deal with no clause preventing the team from ever being able to use the Franchise Tag on him. So I guess if Dak and France want to agree to those terms, then perhaps the Cowboys could see there way to patterning a deal like Watsons. If not, I don't see any reason why the team would do that. We aren't going to fold because Dak Prescott isn't playing in Dallas. Walk on if a deal can't be done. Dak will be OK and the Cowboys will be OK. That's how I see.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So, tell me, what has the market offered for a QB who is injured and can't play football? What are the recent offers for those QBs? I'm going to try and just convey my opinions here. Any offer from last year is a poor barometer because one, the financial implications of a Covid season make it very different and two, Watson signed up for a 6 year deal with no clause preventing the team from ever being able to use the Franchise Tag on him. So I guess if Dak and France want to agree to those terms, then perhaps the Cowboys could see there way to patterning a deal like Watsons. If not, I don't see any reason why the team would do that. We aren't going to fold because Dak Prescott isn't playing in Dallas. Walk on if a deal can't be done. Dak will be OK and the Cowboys will be OK. That's how I see.
You’ve made it very clear how you see it. I’m not sure if Jethro sees it the same . And his opinion or action is only one that concerns me.

It’s difficult for me to weigh in opinions who don’t hold a high value for Dak on this roster .

garyv

Reaction score
1. His asking price must be too high again

2. Mike M must not have full faith in him, as does Stephen

Both go hand in hand.

If they thought he was the elite QB, some here believe, he would get whatever. Mike would let it be known, "bro, we need this dude by any means"

I'm not a Dak fan, but ready for this to be over.

Trade him or just out right let him walk.

I'm with you brother. Look I liked Dak at the time over Romo he played better and led the team better on TD's BUT this contract has soured me on Dak
completely. I could let two farts out and watch Dak leave and feel better. He is not the only QB in the world.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. I would agree that Jethro can withdraw at any time.

But ultimately not getting Dak signed earlier is either going to cost the Cowboys millions or losing their QB. Which neither is good for Cowboys Football.

I’d call that a lose lose situation. And Dak will go on to sign another contract elsewhere while we look to find another QB. It could take years for us to recover. All for what in the end . One year less on a deal ?

Either is possible but so is the possibility of getting a deal done. Although, I would not bet big money on that possibility. Bottom line, I would not have signed Dak in 2018 to 35 mil yearly either. 2016 was all OL and Zeke, for the most part. 2017, Dak looked pretty bad a lot. Over the first 7 games, Dak was 3/4 and not really getting it done. Even so, the team offered him something like 30 AAV for 5 years, according to what was reported. He did not accept. That's on Dak. You can say that it's the teams fault but I don't see it that way. Dak was nothing special in 2017 and 2018 was the year France came into the picture and the 1st time Dak stepped out of a deal he had with the Cowboys in Principle. 2019 he was never going to sign and last year, once again, he and France stepped out of a deal agreed to in principle.

I just don't believe they ever were really trying to be serious about a deal. Again, at the end of the year, we were told that he was accepting a deal with the Cowboy but that time ran out? Come on............

If that were the case, I would think that a deal would already be done now but, still no deal. Maybe he signs, IDK, but if it was me, I'd trade him. He and his agent have been playing Jerry and the fan base for awhile now the way I see it. He don't want to be here, trade him and go get another one. If he wants to be serious out being a Cowboy, sign a deal and get to work.

That's how I see it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You’ve made it very clear how you see it. I’m not sure if Jethro sees it the same . And his opinion or action is only one that concerns me.

It’s difficult for me to weigh in opinions who don’t hold a high value for Dak on this roster .

Yeah, I have but again, what is a QB with a broken ankle actually worth right now?

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
4 out of 5 first round QBs fail or are average..... the statistics is worse for other rounds. and if you think it will take lets say 2,3 years to develop, if you luck into one, then come time to pay, salaries are only going up and then what? you want to go draft again? Draft is a gamble.....if you think its ok to gamble and take long shots, then by all means.
Well, I am not personally making the decisions. I just thought I would highlight the fact that their is no blueprint for developing a QB. Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you have 25 years of incompetence. And most fall in-between.

Frozen700

Reaction score
I'm with you brother. Look I liked Dak at the time over Romo he played better and led the team better on TD's BUT this contract has soured me on Dak
completely. I could let two farts out and watch Dak leave and feel better. He is not the only QB in the world.

Agreed bro

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Either is possible but so is the possibility of getting a deal done. Although, I would not bet big money on that possibility. Bottom line, I would not have signed Dak in 2018 to 35 mil yearly either. 2016 was all OL and Zeke, for the most part. 2017, Dak looked pretty bad a lot. Over the first 7 games, Dak was 3/4 and not really getting it done. Even so, the team offered him something like 30 AAV for 5 years, according to what was reported. He did not accept. That's on Dak. You can say that it's the teams fault but I don't see it that way. Dak was nothing special in 2017 and 2018 was the year France came into the picture and the 1st time Dak stepped out of a deal he had with the Cowboys in Principle. 2019 he was never going to sign and last year, once again, he and France stepped out of a deal agreed to in principle.

I just don't believe they ever were really trying to be serious about a deal. Again, at the end of the year, we were told that he was accepting a deal with the Cowboy but that time ran out? Come on............

If that were the case, I would think that a deal would already be done now but, still no deal. Maybe he signs, IDK, but if it was me, I'd trade him. He and his agent have been playing Jerry and the fan base for awhile now the way I see it. He don't want to be here, trade him and go get another one. If he wants to be serious out being a Cowboy, sign a deal and get to work.

That's how I see it.
Your opinion sounds like is driven mostly by not believing Dak is a valid Franchise QB.

Would you describe our ownership with similar sentiments as yours about Dak?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, I am not personally making the decisions. I just thought I would highlight the fact that their is no blueprint for developing a QB. Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you have 25 years of incompetence. And most fall in-between.

I don't know that I agree with this. Say what you wish about this Franchise but they have developed both Romo and Dak, thus far. I actually think they do OK in this area if they have something to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.