The reason they have to keep Dez

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
The argument that could win out though is that WR is an overrated position and teams that are winning championships really don't have elite WR's.

Scheme is clearly more important then talent for the teams overall success.

Dez is a stud but we will never get our monies worth under the current circumstances.

The problem is we don’t have scheme. Hence the reason for otherworldly talent being required in Jason AIRett’s offense

cern

Reaction score
Noah Brown and young switzer need to get reps if they are going to improve. This can't happen with a progress stopper like Dez screaming for the ball.

ICP

Reaction score
This isnt necessarily directed at you, but many feel Dez’s problems are due to the QB issues. Would TWill not be given that same benefit of the doubt? He only had 1 year with Romo and was the clutch receiver with him, especially in the playoffs.
I guess that's a fair enough point, I just have never been impressed with Williams. Didn't he get a chance a few years back with Romo when Dez missed quite a stretch of games and didn't really do much?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I guess that's a fair enough point, I just have never been impressed with Williams. Didn't he get a chance a few years back with Romo when Dez missed quite a stretch of games and didn't really do much?

Yes, and I was disappointed with Twills production too during that stretch. Clearly he is not a #1 receiver, but he was also saddled with having to play a position that he is not capable of performing at a high level and he also had to deal with horrible QB play. He did make the huge diving catch on 4th down to tie the Saints game late in the 4th quarter. Unfortunately, the team still lost in overtime. I don't like some of his dumb mistakes in 2016 though, like failing to get out of bounds against the Giants.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I am completely against cutting Dez,there is simply no way we can replace his production even though he skills have declined.no rookie will even put half his numbers even if he was drafted early.the option is a mutually agreed upon pay cut or some kind of incentive deal.
No way to replace his productivity? Have we tried calling Labor Ready?

ICP

Reaction score
Yes, and I was disappointed with Twills production too during that stretch. Clearly he is not a #1 receiver, but he was also saddled with having to play a position that he is not capable of performing at a high level and he also had to deal with horrible QB play. He did make the huge diving catch on 4th down to tie the Saints game late in the 4th quarter. Unfortunately, the team still lost in overtime. I don't like some of his dumb mistakes in 2016 though, like failing to get out of bounds against the Giants.
Yeah, all i'm really saying is that if they are gonna let Dez go I hope they have some kind of plan to replace him because I don't believe that there is anyone currently on the roster that would be considered a true #1. Honestly I even have trouble thinking of Dez as a #1 anymore but I still haven't decided if it's the play calling, lack of sync with Dak, or Dez just has lost a step. Might be all three.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree with the money part of it. How does having only 8 mil in dead money if cut before June 1st be worse than having a 16.5 mil hit on the cap for 2018? It would actually be saving 8.5 mil on the 2018 cap and even more if he was designated as a June 1st cut.
It saves 12.5M to cut Dez when all years are considered in regards to the cap.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some buddies and I were kicking around the Dez situation the other day, and Peter King touched on a point we were making. He added context.

We concluded that the Cowboys have no choice but to keep Dez Bryant. Replacing him in the draft is too hard, and buying their way out of it only compounds the financial albatross of Dez' contract even further.

In the past three years, look at the first-round receivers that were drafted. Virtually every one has been a disappointment so far, except for Amari Cooper.

2015: Amari Cooper, Kevin White, DeVante Parker, Nelson Agholor, Breshad Perriman, Phillip Dorsett
2016: Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, Lequon Treadwell
2017: Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross

And keep in mind, 2018 is supposed to be a weak draft at receiver.

College football is doing a terrible job of developing wide receivers for the pros, just like so many other positions. Receivers show up completely lost with no idea how professional offenses work. They don't understand how to run routes, how to read defenses, and they aren't used to catching balls in traffic.

I know that sounds like Dez a bit, but he had the knack for catching in traffic from day one.

If they cut Dez, then Cole Beasley or Terrance Williams is the #1 receiver. That is, unless you think tiny Calvin Ridley is going to come in and be a seasoned pro his first year. Eeeek.

I've stated my issues with Dez for a many years, but he's the best option for this team in 2018 at that spot. Keep him, bite hard on the contract, and just hope the running game returns in full force.
There are free agent WRs. They could cut Dez and get a free agent. There are many NFL WRs better than Dez and several will likely average less per year than Dez.

Allen Robinson might sign a 1-year prove it deal after missing last season with an injury. Even if they gave him the full 12.5M that Dez is scheduled to make, ut would be an improvement.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They've openly admitted to making a mistake with that contract by insinuating he needs to take a step back or a trip out. They can talk all they want but Dez is holding the cards and management blinks and he knows it.

The only other course of action is to sign a couple of FA WR's and draft one and go with WR by committee and draft the best receiving RB from round 3 on. Or they keep him and pay the price for the mistake.

So here's where those that are still in his camp can tell me about how great Son is going to be when Booger goes toes up. He hasn't learned to mange the salary cap in 20 years and that's been his most important assignment. What a putz. What the hell do you think he'd be doing if it wasn't for Daddy's money?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Forgot to ask you Erod...

I’m assuming this notion of yours is pending Dez restructuring his contract? You don’t think he’s a shoe in to stay here for his same contract ?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They've openly admitted to making a mistake with that contract by insinuating he needs to take a step back or a trip out. They can talk all they want but Dez is holding the cards and management blinks and he knows it.

The only other course of action is to sign a couple of FA WR's and draft one and go with WR by committee and draft the best receiving RB from round 3 on. Or they keep him and pay the price for the mistake.

So here's where those that are still in his camp can tell me about how great Son is going to be when Booger goes toes up. He hasn't learned to mange the salary cap in 20 years and that's been his most important assignment. What a putz. What the hell do you think he'd be doing if it wasn't for Daddy's money?
Right. I agree Dez holds the cards.

And where are all those fans spouting how this team was making better decisions with Stephen more in control. Lol

I’ve been suspect all along of Stephens poor mgmt of the Cap which was supposed to be his baby and doubt he’ll be any better than Jerry, maybe worse .

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
I'm not in favor of cutting ties with him either. If we had a stud WR already on the roster that just broke out it would be different, but there are no viable options out there. We should spend an earlier draft pick in one of the 1st two rounds on WR and see how it plays out with Dez over the season. The development of the young rookie ultimately determines Dezs future the following year when there is less dead money.

kskboys

Reaction score
Some buddies and I were kicking around the Dez situation the other day, and Peter King touched on a point we were making. He added context.

We concluded that the Cowboys have no choice but to keep Dez Bryant. Replacing him in the draft is too hard, and buying their way out of it only compounds the financial albatross of Dez' contract even further.

In the past three years, look at the first-round receivers that were drafted. Virtually every one has been a disappointment so far, except for Amari Cooper.

2015: Amari Cooper, Kevin White, DeVante Parker, Nelson Agholor, Breshad Perriman, Phillip Dorsett
2016: Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, Lequon Treadwell
2017: Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross

And keep in mind, 2018 is supposed to be a weak draft at receiver.

College football is doing a terrible job of developing wide receivers for the pros, just like so many other positions. Receivers show up completely lost with no idea how professional offenses work. They don't understand how to run routes, how to read defenses, and they aren't used to catching balls in traffic.

I know that sounds like Dez a bit, but he had the knack for catching in traffic from day one.

If they cut Dez, then Cole Beasley or Terrance Williams is the #1 receiver. That is, unless you think tiny Calvin Ridley is going to come in and be a seasoned pro his first year. Eeeek.

I've stated my issues with Dez for a many years, but he's the best option for this team in 2018 at that spot. Keep him, bite hard on the contract, and just hope the running game returns in full force.
A big part of the problem is teams focusing on speed and height in their draft evaluations when they should be looking at burst, lateral agility, and hands.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Rodgers could back shoulder and high point teams to death with Dez. Better than Romo did.
Aaron Rodgers and Dez... shudder.
They'd put Dez on the smallest DB every play and destroy that poor D with Rodgers throwing it.
Dez wouldn't need to even run a clean route. Aaron will put it right where it needs to be for him.

Erod... You're convincing me.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
A big part of the problem is teams focusing on speed and height in their draft evaluations when they should be looking at burst, lateral agility, and hands.
Cole Beasly.

Verdict

Reaction score
The Cowboys have 99 problems but Dez ain’t one.. or maybe he’s in the 20’s. Sure his production doesn’t match his salary. But Dak ain’t Romo.

Dez is one of the biggest problems this franchise currently has. The second highest paid player and his production has been in the shitter for three years.

He is a distraction, a me first player and a cancer. The team has to placate him or he melts down on the sidelines. He is acting like a complete idiot.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

If we cut Dez, we bring in 3 WRs between the draft and free agency. Williams would be our only true wide out and we should really be looking to move on from him as well.

Moving on from Dez frees up money for other players, and makes the Cowboys a much more attractive landing spot for free agents.

We should take the opportunity of a largely open roster to bring in players and have a competition, instead of just relying on 1 guy to be his replacement. By 2018, Butler, Dez, and Williams should be turned over for a whole new crew of true wideouts.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah, wonder if the Dez whiners will be this way toward Dak when he gets his $50 million a year next year and then still doesn't perform.

Dez is overpriced regardless of who is throwing the ball to him. Some QBs and some OCs could probably do more with him, but I doubt anyone takes his current contract intending to keep him at that price.