The reason they have to keep Dez

Dre11

Reaction score
So just how many years has it been since Bryant was been among the top 3 or 5 in the league but this season would be the 3rd highest paid receiver? Bryant's days of being an elite receiver have been gone for years now and to hang on to him overpaying in the process is just foolishness.

And just how many players production matches their pay? That's the nature of contracts.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We will renegotiate his contract. He isn’t taking a pay cut.

Dez's contract is a money pit no matter if you shuffle the dollars around to future years. A bad buy is a bad buy, even when the bill comes in the future.

If he doesn't take a *significant* pay cut, he should be gone. He probably should just be gone regardless. He's not a fit for this team any longer. He's not that #1 who demands double teams anymore, and it's time we adjusted the offense accordingly.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
KSK said draft evaluations.
You countered with an UDFA.

I am biased toward KSK, bu no bias was required to see your non sequitur.
Lol... you used non sequitur. I like guys like you. And yay! You're concerned about you're own bias!
Like everyone else here. Welcome to the club.

I would like to buy buy... Actually I like to keep buy buying you.

Dre11

Reaction score
Always amazing how we’ll bash Dez talent but defend Daks based on our emotions and attachments. Sounds like Jerry not a hard nosed GM or HC who trys to remain unbiased for the good of the team.
Exactly, folks also forget he pretty much brought us back in that 2016 playoff game.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dez is overpriced regardless of who is throwing the ball to him. Some QBs and some OCs could probably do more with him, but I doubt anyone takes his current contract intending to keep him at that price.

Most players are over priced, not just Dez.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Lokk at GB's QB vs. our QB's. An average WR here could be a star WR in GB. :laugh:
But agree about your explaining the cap issues and what WR or any player to keep or not.
Put Dez on GB with Rogers throwing to him, fans here would be saying...go sign Dez when he is a FA....

If, that huge word again, IF Bryant was the Bryant of a few years ago we wouldn't be having this discussion, but, another of those huge words, but Bryant is not. Even with Rodgers throwing him the ball is not going to turn Bryant magically into a good route runner or give him back the average at best speed he had back or will cure him of dropsy and/or fumbling the ball and won't make him younger. The peckers have 3 receivers they would like to keep but only have money to keep 2 of them at max probably just 1. All three run good routes, are faster, don't drop balls and/or fumble and 2 or of 3 are younger, 1 the same age. Here just an added point, none of them have EVER had any off the field issues or thrown any childish temper tantrums on the field and sidelines. So why would the peckers opt to sign Bryant with all his baggage over signing 1 or 2 of their own receivers that don't have Bryant's baggage?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Dez certainly has not lived up to his new contract. And he has had injuries the past 3 years. Not to mention he now has an inaccurate QB. Though Dez dropped more than his share of catchable balls. But many were off target, and some WAY OFF target, like throw 10 yards over his head on a 10 yard route when he was wide open.

So being paid like a top player, means you have to lead the NFL in your respective category based on how you are paid? The highest paid QB should then lead the NFL is passing and so forth?

I know what you are saying, and can't disagree Dez has not lived uptown that. But there are other circumstances involved as well.
So let's cut him because he didn't finish in the top 3 last year, or the year before, or the year before that, because of a broken foot?
Dang, only if they would have cut Tony when he got his rib broken and lung punctured, but still didn't get us to where we wanted to be in the end. Disk problem, no playoffs, cut the bum then.

Lets also remember when TRYING to compare Romo to Bryant, 2011 the year that he had Laurent Robinson who had 4 TD's in 4 years prior to coming to the Cowboys and with Romo had 11 and Bryant with 9TD's and a fumble.

Now I freely admit that Prescott didn't play as well in 2017 as he did in 2016 BUT, that large word again, but Prescott had the 3rd highest completion percentage in 2016 so your claim of Prescott's accuracy at least for 2016 is way off base yet Bryant only had 8 TD's. He still had drops and still had a fumble, still ran poor routes still lost some of that average speed to start out with and was still a 1 trick pony of out jumping defenders for balls. BTW he was only that with Romo too. Bryant hasn't been in the top 5 receivers in anything for 5 years and the only category that put him there was 2014 with his 16 TD's. The Cowboys can't justify a 16.5 mil cap hit in 2018 based on what he did 4 years ago.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Lol, thanks, Captain Obvious, for the elementary explanation of the salary cap that everyone already understands.

The cap can ALWAYS be restructured if you want to fit somebody on your roster. Always.

Yes it can BUT, that huge word again, but the only way is by either releasing high price talent or restructuring contracts which ALWAYS adds dead money to the cap down the road. Dead money is why teams have a problem signing players to start out with.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right. I agree Dez holds the cards.

And where are all those fans spouting how this team was making better decisions with Stephen more in control. Lol

I’ve been suspect all along of Stephens poor mgmt of the Cap which was supposed to be his baby and doubt he’ll be any better than Jerry, maybe worse .
Well, those holding out hope that he hires a professional football GM need to consider when he said that was many years ago and many appearances in interviews ago. Celebrityitis is an addiction.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I think it's a mistake to assume what happened yesterday in the draft indicates what will happen tomorrow.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
We do not have a replacement for Dez so all we can look for is that the organization take that into account. I would be more concerned if Stephen and Jerry brushed off Dez’s attitude but that doesn’t seem to be the case either. Dez needs to realize he can’t just give up and cry on the field when he drops a pass. He has been signed to be the play maker regardless of what routes he has been assigned to run.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The first thing I would do if Beasley is going to be retained is move him to the outside. They want to double him, double him on the outside, not in the middle where they can react more quickly..

Put a taller WR in the slot because Dak is only 6'2" and he has to wait for the small framed Beasley to "appear". The DC's studied film and defensed Beasley in that slot very well.

With Zeke in the backfield and if they draft a receiving back, I do not think the team needs a #1WR or that salary. Teams have already proven they do not need that highly paid #1WR and many have proven that is a detriment to the overall success of the team.

Why in the hell does a team that will run the ball 50% of the time need a #1WR? The only success the Cowboys have had in the last 10 seasons was when they ran the offense through the RB.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
And just how many players production matches their pay? That's the nature of contracts.

Yes it is but where there is such a instance where a decision has to be made and the salary is so out of proportion with the play the past couple of years, that would be the time to say they're not getting anywhere close to that salary in play and cut their losses, which would actually be a gain of 8.5 mil on the cap this season.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The first thing I would do if Beasley is going to be retained is move him to the outside. They want to double him, double him on the outside, not in the middle where they can react more quickly..

Put a taller WR in the slot because Dak is only 6'2" and he has to wait for the small framed Beasley to "appear". The DC's studied film and defensed Beasley in that slot very well.

With Zeke in the backfield and if they draft a receiving back, I do not think the team needs a #1WR or that salary. Teams have already proven they do not need that highly paid #1WR and many have proven that is a detriment to the overall success of the team.

Why in the hell does a team that will run the ball 50% of the time need a #1WR? The only success the Cowboys have had in the last 10 seasons was when they ran the offense through the RB.

I see your reasoning but I don't think it's smart to put the smaller Beasley outside if for only the reason of on running plays the outside receivers have to block and with having to block and the additional pounding of being outside I don't think he will last.

Tussinman

Reaction score
there are far more players in the hof who were not first round draft choices than those who were. at every position, not just wr.
That trend might change but recently that hasn't been the case. Almost all of the recent WR HOF picks have been 1st rounders (guys like Harrison, Tim Brown, Moss, Irvin, Rice, Monk, Lofton).

The only current active WR that is a sure 100% lock for HOF is to no surprise a first rounder as well (Larry Fitzgerald).

I don't think "more non 1st rounder in HOF at every position" is true at all. Like 80% of the runningbacks in the hall of fame where 1st rounders......

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see your reasoning but I don't think it's smart to put the smaller Beasley outside if for only the reason of on running plays the outside receivers have to block and with having to block and the additional pounding of being outside I don't think he will last.
Inside WR's have to block as well and I would place more value with him on the outside as a WR.