The Romo miscalculation

TheHerd

Reaction score
And to boot, those of us north of 35 can attest to, you get to a point where you're athletic abilities just diminish. Yes he's a pro athlete but he's nearing the age where you hit a wall.

Is Brady nearing that age anytime soon?

Reaction score
Is Brady nearing that age anytime soon?

yes....it's inevitable. Some are freaks of nature but when he hits that wall, which I think is a couple years away, his abilities will fall off fast. Him saying he's got another 10 years is ridiculous! I think we're lucky if Romo plays 3 more full seasons

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The common response to the Romo longevity question is 2-3 years. It's somewhat consensus that the Cowboys will have to replace him by 2018 at the latest.

But why? That makes no sense really.

I think the actual answer to this question is both scary and encouraging at the same time.

If Romo can play 3 more years, then why can't he play 4 or 5 if he wants to? If he can play a couple of seasons, then the collar bone is fine and the back is holding up pretty well, right? If it is, then 38 isn't that old to carry on. Peyton Manning would still be playing if he could feel a football. Tom Brady looks nowhere near being done. Drew Brees is trudging along quite well.

Or.....yikes.

Tony might be done already. Perhaps his ability to take a hit is no more. If that's the case, it's about to get dark around here real soon, as in, by September. We'll know this sooner rather than later. I look forward to seeing him take a good hit and landing on that shoulder (but not often). Let's find out right away. Bring it.

Tim Duncan was supposedly done about 7 years ago. Many didn't think Brees' body would hold up more than a season or two in New Orleans. Same goes for countless baseball players. We always seem too quick to count guys out, and it's not like Romo is a world-class sprinter or a middle linebacker.

Here's hoping for the sunny side of that egg. Romo until 2020.

Here's reality, Romo re-agravated his back in game 1 . His back will never be fully healed., in a attempt to protect his back he twists when being tackeled and lands on his side, that would be a solid strategy, if a 275 pound DE didn't land on top, snapping ribs and colerbones. While the procedure will help some, it won't solve the problem. Sadly, defenses will go the extra mile to deck him, even if late. Not only will tony fail to complete the season, he will come to his senses and retire. For his own good.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The common response to the Romo longevity question is 2-3 years. It's somewhat consensus that the Cowboys will have to replace him by 2018 at the latest.

I think the actual answer to this question is both scary and encouraging at the same time.

If Romo can play 3 more years, then why can't he play 4 or 5 if he wants to? If he can play a couple of seasons, then the collar bone is fine and the back is holding up pretty well, right? If it is, then 38 isn't that old to carry on. Peyton Manning would still be playing if he could feel a football. Tom Brady looks nowhere near being done. Drew Brees is trudging along quite well.

Or.....yikes.

Tony might be done already. Perhaps his ability to take a hit is no more. If that's the case, it's about to get dark around here real soon, as in, by September. We'll know this sooner rather than later. I look forward to seeing him take a good hit and landing on that shoulder (but not often). Let's find out right away. Bring it.

Tim Duncan was supposedly done about 7 years ago. Many didn't think Brees' body would hold up more than a season or two in New Orleans. Same goes for countless baseball players. We always seem too quick to count guys out, and it's not like Romo is a world-class sprinter or a middle linebacker.

Somebody better tell SJones because Tony is on the books for 20m a year in 2018-19. Those were supposed to be voidable years to spread out the signing bonus and restructures.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Nothing is set in stone. He may have 5 years left, or he may be done after this season. Who knows.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
I guess the idea is that part of his charm is he is a better administrator than technician on game days. I have no idea.

I can't recall of many head coaches getting fired/elevated after failing as a head coach. Usually a promotion means you earned it somehow.

Not with the Jones family.

Thefeelofcotton

Mandalorian
Reaction score

Or.....yikes.

I thought by the thread title this was an episode of The Big Bang Theory....

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Please enlighten me why Garrett moves to the front office in 2018 or later. The Boys and fans do not need or want a "front office executive in training'. If he cannot make it as a Head Coach how the heck will he improve or add value to our front office.

I dont have to explain why he should or not ....... thats just what I think will happen ......whether he deserves it or not.

The Jones like yes men ....... and Garrett is their number one guy.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If Romo actually hangs around 'til 2020, we may all be glad to see Dak take over whether he's capable or not. There's a limit for the best of 'em.

USMarineVet

Reaction score
Tony sticking around all that time is a bit far-fetched. But I wouldn't mind seeing him sticking around in a back-up QB/mentor role for a couple years once the young'uns develop. Just a thought. Juuuuust a thought.

Wouldn't be surprised if Tony was the QB Coach at some point down the trough.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Here's reality, Romo re-agravated his back in game 1 . His back will never be fully healed., in a attempt to protect his back he twists when being tackeled and lands on his side, that would be a solid strategy, if a 275 pound DE didn't land on top, snapping ribs and colerbones. While the procedure will help some, it won't solve the problem. Sadly, defenses will go the extra mile to deck him, even if late. Not only will tony fail to complete the season, he will come to his senses and retire. For his own good.

The back has nothing to do with how he turns from hits. He did that before the back issues, as do most qbs if they have time. It's natural. His back certainly wasn't an issue in 2010 when he first broke it.

The back is the real concern though. He is no more likely to break the collarbone in 2016 than he was in 2006.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
As opposed to the starry-eyed visions of Romo playing 5 more years?
No, bloke, Romo's superfans seem to think that of all the great QBs, Romo alone will escape Father Time. That is not realistic. Better for our front office to develop a worst-case scenario than to be so naive as to court disaster by delaying the signing of a blue-chip QB in the draft. DiasteR with a capital R, as the old gimme would write. (Bless his heart he is stuck in a greyhound station in Memphis, vowing to return to the forum soon, and he has taken names, he says.)
I really miss the old Gimme...:)

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Or.....yikes.

Not into conspiracy but frankly Romo does not seem to get a lot of protection from the refs. He has the fewest roughing the passer calls, heck Brady they get close to his knee and the flag flies. I hope Romo can play a while longer but I think the likelihood is 2 to 3 years given back issues

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
There seems to be a similarity about the way his collarbone has been broken. I may be wrong here but he appears to be on his side, scrambling for the ball, and the weight of the defender just is too much.

Not sure how to prevent this other than to protect him more.

But the running game will eliminate some plays that are risky if for no other reason than he is merely handing off. This is why i want Zeke to be brilliant, which doesn't diminish Romo, but protects him.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I really miss the old Gimme...:)
That is a dangerous thought. He's been on the road for months and, I assume, picking up more bad habits and . . . well, let us be glad that he is away for now.
How about them Cowboys! A dangerous offense that might be so good it will largely keep our inept defense off the field.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Brady is doing all this new - age stuff; eating right, stretching. compression chambers, hi tech mumbo jumbo, etc etc.....but, it remains to be seen if that stuff will actually work...

I don't think Romo does much of any of that stuff....and likes cheeseburgers a little too much....:)

There is a wall. a steady decline. As you get older you just cant do all that stuff anymore. Well......you can, but you aint moving for a few days afterward....:)

I notice it in my sleep habits. If I stay up all night.....like I use to, for any reason, My body sort of shuts down for the next few days...

Although, I do think one day, with a marriage between Hi-Tech and the Medical industries.....were going to see people living well past 100- 150 years old, maybe even longer. I don think there is anything that cant stop that from taking place. Its going to happen...................