The RT Problem

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Zach said that Steele was the best run blocking T he has ever played with.

I mean they need Steele to be the RT but I'm not sure who is at RG has anymore to do with his play than any other player.
I mean I don’t doubt that but who’s the completion? La’el Collins?

plasticman

Reaction score
What are the odds of all three tackles, Tyron, Tyler, and Terence, remaining healthy for an entire 17 game season?

In fact, what are the odds that all three will be healthy just coming out of the preseason? Are the Cowboys typically gifted with excellent health going into the beginning of the regular season?

All three will have significant playing time based on their health.

We have a total of 34 starts by the tackle position, two for each regular season game. I could easily see Tyler with 15, Tyron with 9 and Terence with 10. there is also some playoffs, hopefully.

Three offensive tackles capable of being quality starters is never a problem. Terence will be offeed a contract by the Cowboys prior to the end foi the 2023 season if his performance warrants it.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
TJ Bass, Bostik, Waletzko, Steele, Smith...we're fine at RT.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Tyron Smith’s contract is laden with playing time-based incentives, which means the Cowboys probably promised him that outside of injuries, he’s the starter.

While Steele comes back from the ACL, Tyron is likely to start at RT to pace his return, and Tyler will play LT, which is what I believe the FO wants because they believe he can be an all-pro LT and likely don’t want to waste more time with him at LG.

Here is the issue: Steele is in a contract year, and Tyron’s pay is play-based. If they slow roll Steele’s return to appease Tyron or to get a better resign deal for Steele (something this FO would pull), then I can see Steele walking right on out next year and testing the market. We would immediately be in an OL nightmare

I’ll take my tin hat off now
Seems more like a question in search of a problem to me.

Every team in the league has opportunities.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Do you see Steele as an inferior player? I think he played extremely well last year, and he’s not even in his prime. I think the fact that they ran to the right so often last year is a credit to his play
I think people try to talk down his play hoping that Jerry reads the posts. 8)

It’s gonna cost $$$ to keep Steele in a Dallas uniform.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Thank goodness...you had your Reynolds Wrap\ped too tight.
Once he returns to action, Steele will be the Cowboys starting RT for the remainder of 2023 - then beyond - and will be paid accordingly for that.
Tyron will become the swing tackle, and could sit out a game or two during midseason - especially if he makes it that far in without getting injured. (It's his swan song season; missing out on some extra money along the way to a deep playoff run is a decent tradeoff IMO.)
After a short hiatus, I could see the coaching staff give Tyler a game off and put Tyron back in at LT.
The Cowboys might have to do it anyway if the players that are in at LG
--- underwhelming journeyman Chuma Edoga, last-chance Josh Ball, or others don't step up and perform. (Is rookie OT Asim Richards going to slide inside to become a guard (left or riight?).
Less than months to go until training camp...that's when the OLine structure will begin to take shape.
No need to fret about it now.
Good point about them making Tyron the swing tackle. Given his age and injury history, he might not last the whole season. But if they lighten his load throughout the regular season by playing swing, then he should be rested enough to play in the playoffs if someone gets hurt or LG is still an issue.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Do you see Steele as an inferior player? I think he played extremely well last year, and he’s not even in his prime. I think the fact that they ran to the right so often last year is a credit to his play
NO one denies that Steele is an excellent run blocker. THAT is not the problem. He is only average as a pass blocker.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
While the front office is stupid. They don’t sucker punch / cheat their players. This isn’t a concern of mine. They won’t do Steele dirty.
The list of players this team has screwed since Jerry Jones took over...is longer than the list of coaches that could coach this team to a Super Bowl.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
The cowboys oline will be above average or average this year and the next. There is a chance it will be better than that. You guys over react

They now have one of the best dlines in the league

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The cowboys oline will be above average or average this year and the next. There is a chance it will be better than that. You guys over react

They now have one of the best dlines in the league
They have almost zero depth and a JAG RT.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NO one denies that Steele is an excellent run blocker. THAT is not the problem. He is only average as a pass blocker.
Average is being generous.

The bottom line is I want better than Steele at RT but he's the best option right now.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think if Steele is healthy he plays right tackle and Tyron is the left tackle, as long as he remains healthy. Tyler goes to LG. When Tyron gets hurt, Tyler slides over to LT and they will have a backup plan for LG, either Edoga or Farniok.

The real question is will Steele go the free agency route next year. The Steele situation reminds of the Jeremy Parnell situation a little bit. Could we see Steele walk in free agency next year like Parnell did because someone offers him more money than the Cowboys are willing or able to pay? The Cowboys have to think about other contracts. I wonder if Steele is the odd man out. The way they are talking up Waletzko make me wonder if they are preparing the fans for when Steele get a big contract some some other team.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Depends on health.
Maybe, but we also do not know how it will turn out yet, or the style of play they will have. Their new TE should help with blocking too.

The cowboys went from having one of the best oline's, to what might be the best dline. An average or above average oline is not horrible trade off.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe, but we also do not know how it will turn out yet, or the style of play they will have. Their new TE should help with blocking too.

The cowboys went from having one of the best oline's, to what might be the best dline. An average or above average oline is not horrible trade off.
They do not have the best DL.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Out of 32 teams, do you think they will average or above average on their oline?
There is both quality and depth...and now, an aggressive attitude as a group! Above average on team building, even now.