The RT Problem

McMicah

Reaction score
Tyron Smith’s contract is laden with playing time-based incentives, which means the Cowboys probably promised him that outside of injuries, he’s the starter.

While Steele comes back from the ACL, Tyron is likely to start at RT to pace his return, and Tyler will play LT, which is what I believe the FO wants because they believe he can be an all-pro LT and likely don’t want to waste more time with him at LG.

Here is the issue: Steele is in a contract year, and Tyron’s pay is play-based. If they slow roll Steele’s return to appease Tyron or to get a better resign deal for Steele (something this FO would pull), then I can see Steele walking right on out next year and testing the market. We would immediately be in an OL nightmare

I’ll take my tin hat off now

CashMan

Reaction score
Tyron Smith’s contract is laden with playing time-based incentives, which means the Cowboys probably promised him that outside of injuries, he’s the starter.

While Steele comes back from the ACL, Tyron is likely to start at RT to pace his return, and Tyler will play LT, which is what I believe the FO wants because they believe he can be an all-pro LT and likely don’t want to waste more time with him at LG.

Here is the issue: Steele is in a contract year, and Tyron’s pay is play-based. If they slow roll Steele’s return to appease Tyron or to get a better resign deal for Steele (something this FO would pull), then I can see Steele walking right on out next year and testing the market. We would immediately be in an OL nightmare

I don't disagree, but at them end of the day, money talks. I think you are probably looking at the 2nd quarter of the season before Steele is ready to play a full game. No one touched his tender this past offseason. We all know Tyron is not going to last the full season, so I think you let this play out.

Beaker42

Reaction score

Not really - we'll use our 1st on a RT which is what we were probably going to do anyway.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
This just goes right along with the left guard problem.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
RT is definitely not, not a problem. I think Peters might put down the rake and sign. Would not surprise me. Plus Young Smith > Old Smith at LT. I hope Old Smith might be RT.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
The best move is to play the best 5. Tyler is the future at LT, but there's a gaping hole at LG that he can effectively fill. We have a championship defense and some really great skill position players on offense. Now is not the time to get cute with the line.

Motorola

Reaction score

Thank goodness...you had your Reynolds Wrap\ped too tight.
Once he returns to action, Steele will be the Cowboys starting RT for the remainder of 2023 - then beyond - and will be paid accordingly for that.
Tyron will become the swing tackle, and could sit out a game or two during midseason - especially if he makes it that far in without getting injured. (It's his swan song season; missing out on some extra money along the way to a deep playoff run is a decent tradeoff IMO.)
After a short hiatus, I could see the coaching staff give Tyler a game off and put Tyron back in at LT.
The Cowboys might have to do it anyway if the players that are in at LG
--- underwhelming journeyman Chuma Edoga, last-chance Josh Ball, or others don't step up and perform. (Is rookie OT Asim Richards going to slide inside to become a guard (left or riight?).
Less than months to go until training camp...that's when the OLine structure will begin to take shape.
No need to fret about it now.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Barring injury....Tyron is not playing right tackle.

They need Steele playing next to Martin in order to get the best out of Steele. Tyron unless he struggles IMO will be the LT.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Thank goodness...you had your Reynolds Wrap\ped too tight.
Once he returns to action, Steele will be the Cowboys starting RT for the remainder of 2023 - then beyond - and will be paid accordingly for that.
Tyron will become the swing tackle, and could sit out a game or two during midseason - especially if he makes it that far in without getting injured. (It's his swan song season; missing out on some extra money along the way to a deep playoff run is a decent tradeoff IMO.)
After a short hiatus, I could see the coaching staff give Tyler a game off and put Tyron back in at LT.
The Cowboys might have to do it anyway if the players that are in at LG
--- underwhelming journeyman Chuma Edoga, last-chance Josh Ball, or others don't step up and perform. (Is rookie OT Asim Richards going to slide inside to become a guard (left or riight?).
Less than months to go until training camp...that's when the OLine structure will begin to take shape.
No need to fret about it now.
Jerry ain't paying Tyron to sit while he is healthy.

Anyone thinking otherwise has no clue

Motorola

Reaction score
Jerry ain't paying Tyron to sit while he is healthy.

Anyone thinking otherwise has no clue
But there are a lot of CZers thinking that under no circumstances should Tyler be moved from LT for Tyron to go back to his longstanding position-- even though the 2nd year player has stated he will line up wherever the coaching staff wants him to play.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

No need to worry at all, fully believe Tyron will start at LT once Steele returns. If and when Tyron goes down, they will have contingency plans in place.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Tyron Smith - Tyler Smith - Biadasz - Martin - Steele

This is, IMO, what the team wants. If Tyron gets hurt at LT, they have a couple options.
  • They could move Tyler Smith to LT and play Edoga at LT
Or
  • Just put in Waletzko at LT
I’m interested to see Waletzko in camp this year. I think the team likes him a lot more than fans do. He definitely has the movement, feet and length to play LT. He also is probably the meanest OL on the team. He is a dog. All he needed was to get that shoulder fixed (he did) and get a little stronger.

If you asked me right now, I’d say that Waletzko will end camp as the swing tackle and get in if Tyron gets hurt. He will have to show it in camp, but I think he will.

Ball is done as an OT on this team. If he makes the team again, I think it’ll have to be as a guard.

Just my two cents worth.

Iago33

Reaction score
I don’t see a problem with Tyron at RT until Steele gets back. He’s not healthy and our best tackle tandem without Steele is the Smiths. We can worry about the adjustment once Steele is fully back. Why all the angst?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
They need Steele playing next to Martin in order to get the best out of Steele.
Zach said that Steele was the best run blocking T he has ever played with.

I mean they need Steele to be the RT but I'm not sure who is at RG has anymore to do with his play than any other player.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I think this is the reason I wasn’t too thrilled about the draft. Tyler is a LG so that means. Dallas might not have any OTs at some point. I get the Mazi DT pick, but didn’t get the TE pick when the team is so thin at OTs. I loved the Deuce pick, but waiting until the 6th round doesn’t make sense. Dallas lost last year because they couldn’t run the ball. If the picks really were BPA then okay, it’s just they could have moved around in the draft and got some OL help.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys promised a player a starting position?

Not sure I'm buying that.

McMicah

Reaction score
Tyron should be the LT, Tyler the LG and unfortunately Steele the RT until we can upgrade that position.

That's how you get your best 5 on the field this year.
Do you see Steele as an inferior player? I think he played extremely well last year, and he’s not even in his prime. I think the fact that they ran to the right so often last year is a credit to his play