The RT Problem

CCBoy

Reaction score
Good point about them making Tyron the swing tackle. Given his age and injury history, he might not last the whole season. But if they lighten his load throughout the regular season by playing swing, then he should be rested enough to play in the playoffs if someone gets hurt or LG is still an issue.
One just doesn't build or game plan upon failure, and this set of coaches haven't. I'll do a signature bet on this offensive linemen group in house, runs the course strongly!

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think people try to talk down his play hoping that Jerry reads the posts. 8)

It’s gonna cost $$$ to keep Steele in a Dallas uniform.
Right now that is manageable and smart to resign before farther down the road.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last I seen right before the OTA's. Steele said he was told he was ahead in his rehab compared to others who had the same injury.
However, this team, as usual will start him on PUP come TC time. And that may be ok as well. It gives the team time to look at the depth to develop which is much needed.

Steele will be at RT much sooner than many believe. Worse case they go the route they did with Gallup. Keep him on the 53 so he doesn't miss the 4 games minimum.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Tyron Smith - Tyler Smith - Biadasz - Martin - Steele

This is, IMO, what the team wants. If Tyron gets hurt at LT, they have a couple options.
  • They could move Tyler Smith to LT and play Edoga at LT
Or
  • Just put in Waletzko at LT
I’m interested to see Waletzko in camp this year. I think the team likes him a lot more than fans do. He definitely has the movement, feet and length to play LT. He also is probably the meanest OL on the team. He is a dog. All he needed was to get that shoulder fixed (he did) and get a little stronger.

If you asked me right now, I’d say that Waletzko will end camp as the swing tackle and get in if Tyron gets hurt. He will have to show it in camp, but I think he will.

Ball is done as an OT on this team. If he makes the team again, I think it’ll have to be as a guard.

Just my two cents worth.
Agree Wally is viewed highly inside their building and he maybe that insurance plan for Tyron’s lack of durability at the position, although he also has to stay healthy. They also have several guard options if they need to move Tyler to tackle. Think we also need to remember, this isn’t Kellen Moore’s system any longer, MM has stated he wants the ball out more quickly this yr

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I think people try to talk down his play hoping that Jerry reads the posts. 8)

It’s gonna cost $$$ to keep Steele in a Dallas uniform.
There's a lot of that delusional thinking on this board.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Steele is now on a very controlled diet and has lost like 10 pounds...does that serve a more fluid guard or a right tackle?
I'd keep him on the right side. He won't get enough practice time to make a successful transition. IMO

J-man

Reaction score
They drafted a young man out of NC that could play RT next year.

J-man

Reaction score
Tyron Smith - Tyler Smith - Biadasz - Martin - Steele

This is, IMO, what the team wants. If Tyron gets hurt at LT, they have a couple options.
  • They could move Tyler Smith to LT and play Edoga at LT
Or
  • Just put in Waletzko at LT
I’m interested to see Waletzko in camp this year. I think the team likes him a lot more than fans do. He definitely has the movement, feet and length to play LT. He also is probably the meanest OL on the team. He is a dog. All he needed was to get that shoulder fixed (he did) and get a little stronger.

If you asked me right now, I’d say that Waletzko will end camp as the swing tackle and get in if Tyron gets hurt. He will have to show it in camp, but I think he will.

Ball is done as an OT on this team. If he makes the team again, I think it’ll have to be as a guard.

Just my two cents worth.
I agree and disagree with different parts of this.

I too am excited to see what Waletzko can do this year. I think he has a legit shot at the swing tackle spot.
100% agree on Ball and will add that I doubt he makes it.

But, as long as they can get a starting caliber LG out of the group they have assembled, I think the better move would be to start Tyler at LT and Tyron at RT, keeping Steele, who is still rehabbing, as the flex. And I am against moving Steele to LG.
This is how I see the current "depth chart" for that LG spot: Richards, Farniok, Edoga, Lindstrom, Ball, Hoofman, Bass

If one of them can be the starting LG, having Steele be the primary back up makes the most sense for several reasons.
1. He's already been that in the past so the team is familiar with him there. which = greater continuity
2. If/when Tyron gets injured, they only make 1 move on the line to replace him. which = greater continuity
3. He may not be ready for extended work this offseason while rehabbing. He may be better suited to keep in reserve for later in the year.
4. We all know this is Tyron's last ride, so keeping Steele's snaps down for another year helps the team long term.