The run game aint gittin no better this week

visionary

Reaction score
McCarthy is a pass heavy coach. Nobody ever should have bought his "we're going to commit to the run" declaration. That said I have to admit I was fooled when he said he was going run in situations when we NEEDED to be able to run it. So far our redzone play calling does not reflect that. The Cowboys ran 10 plays inside the Saints 20 yard line on Sunday. 7 were called pass plays.. 5 attempts and two sacks. There was one run with Zeke, one with Vaughan and one with Cooks. I'm sorry but that's sheer lunacy. I suppose we could blame some of that on Dak changing the play but Dak is not the one who sent Deuce Vaughan in at RB on two of their three trips into the red zone. Early on was the perfect time to set the tone and let the biguns up front eat. Line Zeke up in deep and hammer away at the D. Instead we run the 175 pound guy and then a jet sweep then a sack.. It was pretty much game over from there because the Saints continued to carve up our defense and made it 21-6 the next time they got the ball.
Im not worried
We paid Dak 60 million to get is a SB or 2
Dak will get it done

diamonddelts

Reaction score
The Ravens run D is giving up less than THREE YARD PER CARRY!! 2.7 to be exact. Yikes! So win or lose I expect the complaints about the running game will still be around next week. On the flip side they are dead last in the league in pass defense. So this thing will come down to Dak and his receivers to win it. Hopefully if we do win the whiners won't inundate the board with "trade for a stud RB!" posts.. on the heels of "you don't need a stud RB" posts for 4-5 years straight.
No fear. Zeke will get those "tough, dirty yards" you fantasize about every preseason.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Cowboys are a passing team anyways they don't value the run game, it's just lip service. The lack of attention to the RB position tells you everything. Dak should be attempting 40 passes a game.
You mean the lack of attention recently because before that we've had some of the best running backs in the history of the NFL up until this year literally had Tony Pollard on $11 million contract everyone thought he was the bee's knees and he wasn't so yes they're gonna have to do like they did in 2016 is there gonna have to go out and get a top running back in the first 3 rounds and they will I mean this is gonna be an experiment that didn't work like in 2015 it will be effective enough but it'll be so lackadaisical Jerry will then see the fans are calling for it and won't get mad if they pick another Ezekiel Elliott in the top five if there's there be Bijon Robinson type ,but you guys said we should be picking running backs at high don't pick running backs in the first round don't pay running back second contracts now all of a sudden y'all are you've changed 180° on we should've got an aged out Derrick Henry or someone like that better by the way they're not writing records this year so far lots of guys like Justin Jacobs and all these other guys outside of Berkeley which he dropped the ball you're not supposed to have to pay second contracts or pick running backs high remember?

It's funny how these boards provide lip service heavy you and there'll be everyone here that over the years they didn't want Ezekiel Elliott to get that big old contract they also didn't want him to pick another running back that high remember I'd rather have jalen Ramsey well we'd have got jalen Ramsey's who's on his fourth or 15 now he may be good but he's overpaid so he probably wouldn't have been here anyway,
but I don't think we'd ended up with Prescott you can't change the nature of a draft and then think all the other parts would have fell in place and without Prescott here ramses would've been useless...

We ended up getting our pass rusher in our corner anyway but I'm just telling you guys I heard this nonsense too much in here and now Jerry's giving you what you wanted he's not paying any running backs and if any running back by committee should be able to run as long as the offensive line the scheme to play calling right...

I mean it seems to have worked for Kansas City using a seventh round pick they had no backup plan now they're bringing in Kareem Hunt?? I don't see how Kareem hunt is moving any needles but how come they didn't have a deeper running backroom and they had a seventh round draft pick as a starter?

I mean looks like Christian McCaffrey got paid 2 years $38 million nineteen million per year and he hasn't changed the nature of that team they were already good, it's that system look at their other quarterbacks they had before Christian McCaffrey they let Mozart go they were doing pretty well by using and running back by committee with guys who are just pretty good,, would you need any more proof I never even heard of their backup quarterback I don't even remember his name is it James Morgan or something weird 07 this dude's 100 yard a game back in this system behind this offensive line that's the problem here right now it's Mike McCarthy and Kelly Moore like you said they don't value the run game this is not Jerry Jones not providing a good running back 'cause he's done that ever since he's been here I mean you got Ezekiel Elliott Murray and Emmett Smith just to name a few they were all considered great they were elite and don't say they weren't and now this place said that they shouldn't do that ever again you just get one in the draft in the third fourth round use them up well I don't see if we think that those guys in this office will be doing any better just because of the way Mike McCarthy is calling these plays they're not in these backs properly for the play calls and for situational football it's it's all disjointed and it has been for a while..

I truly don't believe even if we had the best running back in the league right now which I don't know who that is we'll be doing well in this offense not from what I've seen the first two games and not from what I've seen what they were doing with the rotation last year I believe most of this on Mike McCarthy and he's probably not gonna be here this year we're gonna have to have a whole new staff top to bottom and maybe somebody will get in jerry's ear and they'll get another top quality running back.

blueblood70

Reaction score
True but the Raiders defense at least showed up for the game. I'm not sure I trust ours to.
right!!! That's what people keep forgetting you can't really run an offense properly when you look over there and see a defense that you're gonna end up needing an offense like we did in the Seattle game last year you're gonna either score in every drive or you're gonna lose..

I'm not sure at any level of football you can play football the way our defense just gave up 92 points in two games at home and even in the other games they are not stepping up in the bigger games in the bigger moments they're expecting our offense to be perfect..

You have these other teams even Patrick mahomes this year Josh Allen I look over at these scores and they're low scoring tight games and I'm thinking man I wish we had that and it has nothing to do with our offense or a run game...

You literally need a defense that can keep you in a game where you don't feel the pressure of having to score in every drive that causes turnovers that causes guys playing tight where you have one guy tripping phone it changes the nature of the whole game because you needed that series.

You can't have a no punt defense, that's right I just made it up, you can't have a no punt defense, you know a defense that expects your offense too never punt and score on every damn drive!

Aikman and Roger were NEVER asked to play in those environments!!

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Most of the teams that advanced on the Playoffs last season were running the ball well. Good offenses aren't void of a running game like Dallas even if they choose to pass mostly.
Pure gold sir. Pure gold.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Who needs a running game when Dak came out and said that CD and him are going to be the best pass combo the NFL have ever seen, or some nonsense like that. So, if the run game does not work, it's going to be up to those two to win this game. Of course, if they don't, we still have the defense to blame, so all is good in JJ's Circus.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Who needs a running game when Dak came out and said that CD and him are going to be the best pass combo the NFL have ever seen, or some nonsense like that. So, if the run game does not work, it's going to be up to those two to win this game. Of course, if they don't, we still have the defense to blame, so all is good in JJ's Circus.
If the defense gives up another 40 burger you damn right they're gonna get blame. I don't know how any sane person argues different.. but then who's looking for sanity on an internet forum.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Minus CeeDee no other WR can block...Hard to turn a corner that way.... Man. Dallas has so many problems that can be fixed-yet-Table Massage Mike does nothing. I really believe Jerry is running the on field stuff. he said NO! When asked about starting Cook this Sunday. Shouldn't that be a McCarthy call :huh:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If the defense gives up another 40 burger you damn right they're gonna get blame. I don't know how any sane person argues different.. but then who's looking for sanity on an internet forum.
Yeah, they screwed the pooch last game, and won the first game. But, what did Dak contribute to? Nothing.

I know, I know, no running game, no receivers, no pass protection, and the list goes on and on and on.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Awww, dayum. :(
It is what it is man.. A defense giving up less than 3 ypc on the ground but getting eaten alive through the air you absolutely have to go into the game thinking pass first. Get up on them and see if you can save OUR defense from getting run over using the scoreboard. The longer they stay within one score the more body blows the defense has to take from Henry and that bunch.. and sooner or later the dam will break and the Ravens will run all over us. Hopefully not in the first quarter like last week. At least get us to halftime with a competitive game.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It is what it is man.. A defense giving up less than 3 ypc on the ground but getting eaten alive through the air you absolutely have to go into the game thinking pass first. Get up on them and see if you can save OUR defense from getting run over using the scoreboard. The longer they stay within one score the more body blows the defense has to take from Henry and that bunch.. and sooner or later the dam will break and the Ravens will run all over us. Hopefully not in the first quarter like last week. At least get us to halftime with a competitive game.
I wish the Cowboys had a damn running game, keep the ball out of the air.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I wish the Cowboys had a damn running game, keep the ball out of the air.
There is no bigger proponent of running the ball than me.. but here in the real world when I see a team is as good against the run as the Ravens I adapt my game plan. Not to completely eschew the run because you still have to do it even if you're only getting 2-3 yards a pop.. But I just adjust my mindset to know that's about ALL um gonna get so don't quit doing it just cause you're not breaking off 20 yarders left and right.