The run game aint gittin no better this week

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No such thing as game flow dictating run.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::flagwave::lmao::lmao::lmao::rolleyes:

Thanks for the laugh. I actually fell down on the floor!

I’m shocked that I need to explain why, but I digress. Say it’s the 4th quarter with 7:00 mins left in the game and you just stopped the Ravens. You get the punt on the 20 yard line with 6:50 left. You’re up 20 - 17. What you gonna wanna do?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::flagwave::lmao::lmao::lmao::rolleyes:

Thanks for the laugh. I actually fell down on the floor!
It doesn't exist. There is no game script in which running is the better option. If you need first downs to milk the clock, throw the football. There is no down, distance, time, score in which running the ball is a more efficient option to win a game, other than taking a knee.

At times, defensive alignments dictate run - but that's on a play to play basis, it's not game script.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
The Ravens are an outlier, but the other three are pass first soooo
Really? The Niners lead with a power run game. Christian McCaffery ring a bell? The Lions drafted a RB in the first round last year in Gibbs, and use their run game to open the passing game. The Chiefs understand the importance of the run game in situational football, and have a pretty good back in Pacheko. Two teams have first round running backs on their team right now. One has Derrick Henry and Lamar Jackson, and the other does well to fill the position, even knowing that they have Mahommes.

What do all of these teams have in common? They all played in conference championship games last year. You may want to brush up on what successful franchises are doing in the modern NFL. Carrying scrubs at the position is a really bad idea.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Really? The Niners lead with a power run game. Christian McCaffery ring a bell? The Lions drafted a RB in the first round last year in Gibbs, and use their run game to open the passing game. The Chiefs understand the importance of the run game in situational football, and have a pretty good back in Pacheko. Two teams have first round running backs on their team right now. One has Derrick Henry and Lamar Jackson, and the other does well to fill the position, even knowing that they have Mahommes.

What do all of these teams have in common? They all played in conference championship games last year. You may want to brush up on what successful franchises are doing in the modern NFL. Carrying scrubs at the position is a really bad idea.
No. They are a passing offense that uses the mismatches they create in the passing game to generate numbers advantages in the run game. Same thing with the Lions. The Shanahan tree is about creating space. You do that through the passing game. It's why Mike Shanahan's won Super Bowls with Elway and was basically a .500 coach the rest of his career.

Nothing the Chiefs do is about anything other than a pass. "Every down is a throwing down" - Andy Reid

Baltimore a) has a bad offense and b) has a unique talent in Lamar. They also aren't successful.

Last edited:

Pipelayer72

Reaction score
For some reason I think the Cowboys will run the ball effectively against the Ravens. I think they'll be a good run/pass balance offensively. The defense needs to improve and I believe it will. Just prevent the big plays.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Ravens run D is giving up less than THREE YARD PER CARRY!! 2.7 to be exact. Yikes! So win or lose I expect the complaints about the running game will still be around next week. On the flip side they are dead last in the league in pass defense. So this thing will come down to Dak and his receivers to win it. Hopefully if we do win the whiners won't inundate the board with "trade for a stud RB!" posts.. on the heels of "you don't need a stud RB" posts for 4-5 years straight.
I wonder how much of that is them giving up the most passing yards……

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
No. They are a passing offense that uses the mismatches they create in the passing game to generate numbers advantages in the run game. Same thing with the Lions. The Shanahan tree is about creating space. You do that through the passing game. It's why Mike Shanahan's won Super Bowls with Elway and was basically a .500 coach the rest of his career.

Nothing the Chiefs do is about anything other than a pass. "Every down is a throwing down" - Andy Reid

Baltimore a) has a bad offense and b) has a unique talent in Lamar. They also aren't successful.

Why is it that teams with strong running games are the ones that decimate our defense? The game has changed, but not fundamentally. You still need to be able to run the ball. A good running game alters how a defense plays. It brings safeties into the box and takes away the ability to play pure coverage, 4 man rush. Our own Dak Prescott struggles when throwing against 7-man coverage. Why do you think DTs and LBs are getting paid big money? If you stop the run, the defense functions at a higher level.

The Dallas offense has consistently struggled without an effective run game, and they've been one of the best in the league for several years. This isn't exclusive to Dallas. Outside of Tom Brady and maybe Aaron Rodgers in recent memory, QBs struggle finding open receivers when the offense is 1-dimensional. This allows the pass rush to pin their ears back and feast. Defenders don't have to worry about containment or plugging their gaps. Dan Quinn's defense is a prime example. Absolutely brilliant when the other guys are forced to pass. Terrible when the other team could pound them into dust. You could even look at what Kamara did against Zimmer's defense and the end result, vs what the Browns were(n't) able to accomplish in week 1.

You can dig into stats all you want and buy into whatever metrics you've studied, but it's not going to change the basic fundamental truth...that you need a functional running game if you want to win football games. You don't need to run it 30× a game, but you absolutely need to show that you can do it. Those teams may throw the ball more, but they understand that they need threats at RB if they want to throw the ball effectively. Hence why there were two first round backs in the conference championship games. Did you ever consider that the Niners and Lions invested premium resources into the position because they know a strong ground attack opens up an explosive passing offense?

All of these teams have found recent success in the playoffs because they understand the importance, and have invested into the ground game, regardless of the fact that they plan on throwing the ball a bunch. How does that make you believe that the position isn't important?

kskboys

Reaction score
The Ravens run D is giving up less than THREE YARD PER CARRY!! 2.7 to be exact. Yikes! So win or lose I expect the complaints about the running game will still be around next week. On the flip side they are dead last in the league in pass defense. So this thing will come down to Dak and his receivers to win it. Hopefully if we do win the whiners won't inundate the board with "trade for a stud RB!" posts.. on the heels of "you don't need a stud RB" posts for 4-5 years straight.
Too early for this to matter. And they just got done playing the best QB in the game in their first game. Minschew threw for 276, not a juggernaut game. Mahomes threw for 291.

Those numbers will come down, Ravens pass D is not horrific.

kskboys

Reaction score
Why is it that teams with strong running games are the ones that decimate our defense? The game has changed, but not fundamentally. You still need to be able to run the ball. A good running game alters how a defense plays. It brings safeties into the box and takes away the ability to play pure coverage, 4 man rush. Our own Dak Prescott struggles when throwing against 7-man coverage. Why do you think DTs and LBs are getting paid big money? If you stop the run, the defense functions at a higher level.

The Dallas offense has consistently struggled without an effective run game, and they've been one of the best in the league for several years. This isn't exclusive to Dallas. Outside of Tom Brady and maybe Aaron Rodgers in recent memory, QBs struggle finding open receivers when the offense is 1-dimensional. This allows the pass rush to pin their ears back and feast. Defenders don't have to worry about containment or plugging their gaps. Dan Quinn's defense is a prime example. Absolutely brilliant when the other guys are forced to pass. Terrible when the other team could pound them into dust. You could even look at what Kamara did against Zimmer's defense and the end result, vs what the Browns were(n't) able to accomplish in week 1.

You can dig into stats all you want and buy into whatever metrics you've studied, but it's not going to change the basic fundamental truth...that you need a functional running game if you want to win football games. You don't need to run it 30× a game, but you absolutely need to show that you can do it. Those teams may throw the ball more, but they understand that they need threats at RB if they want to throw the ball effectively. Hence why there were two first round backs in the conference championship games. Did you ever consider that the Niners and Lions invested premium resources into the position because they know a strong ground attack opens up an explosive passing offense?

All of these teams have found recent success in the playoffs because they understand the importance, and have invested into the ground game, regardless of the fact that they plan on throwing the ball a bunch. How does that make you believe that the position isn't important?
Because our DT's suck. Honestly, it's really that simple. Yes, you need more than good DT's for a strong D, but strong DT's are the first step, and w/o them you lose the battle up front, which is why teams can run all over us.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Raiders had absolutely no running game and beat them with Menshew.
I would imagine BALT stacked the front to stop the run and dared Minsch to beat them through the air. So he did. He's a good middle of the pack QB. How many of those 30 completions were to RB's and TE's and slot guys? I didn't watch the game, but I see that Bowers caught 9, White caught 3, Abdullah caught 2. That's already 13. Looks to me as if he used the short pass as a running game.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
No such thing as game flow dictating run.
Disagree.. one thing that dictates it is the need to eat up time and be safe with the ball. Like when protecting a lead at the end of a half or game. Or when you get into winning FG range at the end of a game and you want the kick to be the last play of the game. Remember that season opener when the Cowboys got down to the Bucs 20-something yard line with like 2 minutes left? Run it three times and kick the FG they would have left Brady and Co very little time and no timeouts to answer. Instead we pass, get a holding call, then a sack and not only end up kicking a longer FG but leaving Brady time and two timeouts which he promptly used to beat us. That was the "yards are yards" game which was the day Kellen Moore became dead to me.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Too early for this to matter. And they just got done playing the best QB in the game in their first game. Minschew threw for 276, not a juggernaut game. Mahomes threw for 291.

Those numbers will come down, Ravens pass D is not horrific.
We shall see.. I do like the matchups of our WRs and their corners.. and I think a healthy Fergie is clearly a more dynamic threat than Schoon.

rambo2

Reaction score
I would imagine BALT stacked the front to stop the run and dared Minsch to beat them through the air. So he did. He's a good middle of the pack QB. How many of those 30 completions were to RB's and TE's and slot guys? I didn't watch the game, but I see that Bowers caught 9, White caught 3, Abdullah caught 2. That's already 13. Looks to me as if he used the short pass as a running game.
He isn't a good qb.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Because our DT's suck. Honestly, it's really that simple. Yes, you need more than good DT's for a strong D, but strong DT's are the first step, and w/o them you lose the battle up front, which is why teams can run all over us.
Correct. The reason you need strong DT play is to stop the run, and then collapse the pocket in the passing game as a secondary function. If you can't stop the run, you're dead in the water.

This is why you need to establish a run game on offense. To enforce your will on opposing defenses and open up passing lanes for the QB and receivers. It works both ways. You can win some games against bad teams and maybe sneak a few against good teams, but if you can't run the ball or stop the run, you aren't going to find consistent success against the best teams.