The Running QB

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prescott and Watson are not running QB's. Both are good passers.

Jackson/Vick/Cunningham are/were not good passers.

To understand this, you'd have to make the distinction between running QB's and Qb's who can run. The QB running is not the problem, the QB running too much and not being a good enough passer is the problem. Quite simply, a QB who depends on running the ball himself is too one dimensional. Against good D's, those type QB's get exposed.

One of the problems is that after a QB has taken off and run a good ways, he's huffin' and puffin' a bit, and this throws off his passing for a play or two, sometimes a series.
Sad thing about Vick and Cunningham is they both had truly great arms, but throughout their developmental years in football were able to rely on, and dominate with, their great athleticism and running ability, and they therefore never developed their passing skills to the level they could have.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Teams want mobile QB because if he is a sitting duck it's a wrap. Sidenote: wish Dak would run more when the pocket breaks down or when he doesn't have an open WR... seemed reluctant to run like his mind was solely on passing.

kskboys

Reaction score
Sad thing about Vick and Cunningham is they both had truly great arms, but throughout their developmental years in football were able to rely on, and dominate with, their great athleticism and running ability, and they therefore never developed their passing skills to the level they could have.
Cunningham broke his leg in his 6th season, after starting for 4 1/2 years. He was marginally effective after that.

Most have forgotten that Vick's last 2 seasons he was 7-9 and 8-8. It was continuously blamed on his receivers being bad. Yeah, that Roddy White sucked, didn't he?

kskboys

Reaction score
Teams want mobile QB because if he is a sitting duck it's a wrap. Sidenote: wish Dak would run more when the pocket breaks down or when he doesn't have an open WR... seemed reluctant to run like his mind was solely on passing.
Disagree. Running should be the last resort. Keeping your eyes downfield is the sign of a good QB.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Disagree. Running should be the last resort. Keeping your eyes downfield is the sign of a good QB.
That's why I attempted to further explain by saying he should run when he has nothing. Disagree or not Dak needs to remember he can run.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cunningham broke his leg in his 6th season, after starting for 4 1/2 years. He was marginally effective after that.

Most have forgotten that Vick's last 2 seasons he was 7-9 and 8-8. It was continuously blamed on his receivers being bad. Yeah, that Roddy White sucked, didn't he?
Cunningham’s best passing season was actually at 35 years old in Minnesota.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Lamar Jackson has ran 323 times since his first start last season. That is unreal and not sustainable in the NFL. Whether immediate or slowly, the body will break down - no one is superman. It will happen at Jackson's weight. No QB that has ran at a high rate got through it without major injuries that had them miss significant time.

Become a pocket passer or find yourself in the medical tent more often than you'd like.

I was pleased to see the Gimmick QB knocked out. It would have been a black stain on the NFL had they won the SB.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's why I attempted to further explain by saying he should run when he has nothing. Disagree or not Dak needs to remember he can run.

Personally, I think this is Dak's biggest weakness. Too often he can step up in the pocket and he doesn't. And on a lot of those he can step up and pick up yards and he doesn't.

He can ever get a knack for that then he will become a total and complete offensive weapon.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Whether he wins a championship is a whole other story, Jackson simply gives you a smaller window to get this done. You can't have a QB running nearly 200 times a year, that is not sustainable at QB weight.
Jackson is 22 years old. He can run wild for atleast a couple more years. What the Ravens hope will happen is he will develop into passing quarterback like Vick did. I don't know if he can. He could be Cam and that would be ok also.

garyo1954

Reaction score

Why do you want to pay a passer to run when you are already paying a running back to do that?

A passer is paid for his arm, not his legs. Staubach, Bradshaw and Young were all good runners who won with their arm. Rodgers is a good runner but nobody notices that.

kskboys

Reaction score
Jackson is 22 years old. He can run wild for atleast a couple more years. What the Ravens hope will happen is he will develop into passing quarterback like Vick did. I don't know if he can. He could be Cam and that would be ok also.
Vick only passed for a high level for around 6 games. Then he went back to his nature, and quickly got hurt again.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Why do you want to pay a passer to run when you are already paying a running back to do that?

A passer is paid for his arm, not his legs. Staubach, Bradshaw and Young were all good runners who won with their arm. Rodgers is a good runner but nobody notices that.
All those Champion QBs run when it's there or when they had to...Bradshaw? Haha. Anyway, if you don't get the point I'm making it's cool...its levels to this topic.

kskboys

Reaction score
All those Champion QBs run when it's there or when they had to...Bradshaw? Haha. Anyway, if you don't get the point I'm making it's cool...its levels to this topic.
Bradshaw rushed for 2,257 in his career and rushed for over 200 yds 6 times. He was very mobile and a good runner.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Vick only passed for a high level for around 6 games. Then he went back to his nature, and quickly got hurt again.
He won MVP with the Eagles. He was a pocket passer until he started getting concussions.