The Running QB

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Dual-threat QBs. You need a QB who can run if needed. The days of the 6'4"+ statue pocket QB are over and that's pretty much the case with all of the QB prospects from the last 5 years. Everyone is mobile enough, maybe not to run North-South but you have to be able to scramble in the pocket

garyo1954

Reaction score
All those Champion QBs run when it's there or when they had to...Bradshaw? Haha. Anyway, if you don't get the point I'm making it's cool...its levels to this topic.

That's a good point when you talk about QBs who pull it down when necessary. That I agree with. Here's the three I listed and their stats so you can see what I was saying.......

Roger Staubach was called Roger the Dodger because of his scrambling ability. In 1971, he rushed for 343 yards — 2nd-most of any QB — with an 8.2 average and 2 touchdowns. He outrushed Bobby Douglass that year, and the Cowboys won the Super Bowl. Staubach ranked among the top 10 rushing QBs every full season of his career, and won two NFL titles.

Terry Bradshaw rushed for over 200 yards in six of his first seven seasons, a span that included two Super Bowl victories. In 1972, when the Steelers made the playoffs for the first time in team history, Bradshaw ran for a career-high 346 yards and 7 TDs, with a 6.0 average. When they won their first Super Bowl in '74, Bradshaw rushed for 224 yards in only 8 games, and out-rushed the entire Vikings team in Super Bowl IX (33-17). In 1975, Bradshaw was the 3rd-leading rusher among QBs, out-gained only by Bert Jones of the AFC East champion Colts, and by Staubach, whose Cowboys he met in Super Bowl X.

Steve Young was one of the most gifted runners ever to play quarterback in the NFL. He finished among the top three QBs in rushing yardage eight times, more than any other quarterback in history. He also led the NFL in passer rating six times, more than any other quarterback in history. His 43 rushing TDs are the most by any QB in the Super Bowl era, and his 96.8 passer rating is 2nd best all-time (Aaron Rodgers).

Mr_437

Reaction score
That's a good point when you talk about QBs who pull it down when necessary. That I agree with. Here's the three I listed and their stats so you can see what I was saying.......

Roger Staubach was called Roger the Dodger because of his scrambling ability. In 1971, he rushed for 343 yards — 2nd-most of any QB — with an 8.2 average and 2 touchdowns. He outrushed Bobby Douglass that year, and the Cowboys won the Super Bowl. Staubach ranked among the top 10 rushing QBs every full season of his career, and won two NFL titles.

Terry Bradshaw rushed for over 200 yards in six of his first seven seasons, a span that included two Super Bowl victories. In 1972, when the Steelers made the playoffs for the first time in team history, Bradshaw ran for a career-high 346 yards and 7 TDs, with a 6.0 average. When they won their first Super Bowl in '74, Bradshaw rushed for 224 yards in only 8 games, and out-rushed the entire Vikings team in Super Bowl IX (33-17). In 1975, Bradshaw was the 3rd-leading rusher among QBs, out-gained only by Bert Jones of the AFC East champion Colts, and by Staubach, whose Cowboys he met in Super Bowl X.

Steve Young was one of the most gifted runners ever to play quarterback in the NFL. He finished among the top three QBs in rushing yardage eight times, more than any other quarterback in history. He also led the NFL in passer rating six times, more than any other quarterback in history. His 43 rushing TDs are the most by any QB in the Super Bowl era, and his 96.8 passer rating is 2nd best all-time (Aaron Rodgers).
Steve Young was on of my favorite players because of his running ability...always thought he was a great QB.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Overall this is a pretty good article on running QBs and the Super Bowl. Just found it when I was looking for those stats. Worth sharing (I think)......

"What constitutes a running quarterback? If all we mean is guys who have rushed for 600 yards in a season, there are nine such players in NFL history. Three of those nine — Newton, Griffin, and Tim Tebow — have just started their careers, and might well win in the future. That leaves Vick, Bobby Douglass, Randall Cunningham, Steve McNair, Donovan McNabb, and Daunte Culpepper. That's six players. If that's what you mean by a running quarterback, you're not really talking about a category or style, you're just talking about six players."

https://www.sports-central.org/sports/2013/08/13/running_quarterbacks_win_super_bowls.php

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Arm talent should be primary but it's nice to have some ability to run. Having said that if you can get a dynamic runner like Lamar you pull the trigger. But you also better have a backup, preferable another running QB and just never give them a 2nd contract.

kskboys

Reaction score
Overall this is a pretty good article on running QBs and the Super Bowl. Just found it when I was looking for those stats. Worth sharing (I think)......

"What constitutes a running quarterback? If all we mean is guys who have rushed for 600 yards in a season, there are nine such players in NFL history. Three of those nine — Newton, Griffin, and Tim Tebow — have just started their careers, and might well win in the future. That leaves Vick, Bobby Douglass, Randall Cunningham, Steve McNair, Donovan McNabb, and Daunte Culpepper. That's six players. If that's what you mean by a running quarterback, you're not really talking about a category or style, you're just talking about six players."

https://www.sports-central.org/sports/2013/08/13/running_quarterbacks_win_super_bowls.php
Why 600? Young rushed for 537 one year, does 63 yds cut him out?

The "running QB" problem only comes in when that QB isn't a proficient passer. And/or when he takes off running all the time instead of going through his progressions. It's not a number, it's how and when they run.

Also, Kapernick rushed for 639 in 2014.

Vince Young 552 in 06.

Kordell Stewart 537 in 01.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Why 600? Young rushed for 537 one year, does 63 yds cut him out?

Its their number, and I'd think its an older article since it doesn't include Lamar Jackson (who was about what number 9 in rushing this year?).

You got me with that one.

kskboys

Reaction score
Its their number, and I'd think its an older article since it doesn't include Lamar Jackson (who was about what number 9 in rushing this year?).

You got me with that one.
I've always hated arbitrary numbers that appear to be set in stone to make some sort of point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Jackson is unquestionably the NFL MVP this season.
His team got blown out in a playoff game, the second of his career, and he turned the ball over 3 times.
Romo was a great QB despite games like that. Jackson has avoided injury, so who knows how long he can sustain this. One thing we know for sure; you cannot judge him on one game that ended this season. He will continue to destroy defenses next season.

Personally, I hate that style of football and hope the Cowboys never have a QB or offense like that. However, Baltimore is here to stay for awhile because of Jackson.

uvaballa

Reaction score
It’s better to have a dual threat QB over a statue. Didn’t Jackson set the Ravens TD passing record this year? How many true pocket passers didn’t even make the playoffs this year?

mahoneybill

Reaction score
HE never takes unnecessary contact as well. Rarely do you see him get drilled. He's mastered that. Wentz could really watch film on him.

Being a baseball player also I’m sure he learned how to slide and get down quickly which he does

blueblood70

Reaction score
truly this isnt new, its different way they are used to an extent but every era has a few qbs like this ie Staubach, Young, Cunningham, vick, and others..

being mobile is a great asset but being a running qb who can pass like rg3 and others and now its Jackson, it wont last..its fun to watch but I saw Watson doing agreat job or surfing the pocket but looking for the chunk play NOT to run..

so the best thing a OC/HC can do is once they draft or get a QB build around his skills instead of trying to eb the next xplayer..

Zman5

Reaction score
Why aren't people mentioning Frank Tarkenton? He was one of the best scramblers to play. Wilson reminds me of him more than anyone else.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
There is no way to “use” Dak in a way that you truly want him to be used. Many of us here would love to see him be like Mahomes. He will not be like that. He lacks the accuracy and arm. Some want him to be like Wilson. He lacks the speed and deep ball accuracy. Some want him to be like Rodgers. Lacks the accuracy and arm. So on and so forth. He cannot run fast. He cannot play well under pressure. Cannot play from behind.

We could use him like the Titans do Tannehill and see what happens. Or we could use him the way the 49ers do Garappolo, but even then, I’d take Garappolo still as he has been more clutch.