The "Russell Wilson" window

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
The problem is that you are not offering up an actual person to make the splash. Yes, I'd love to get someone terrific, now who is he? I don't know who's expected to be out there, and you don't throw money at guys hoping to make a splash - you need a specific target who you believe is guaranteed to make that splash for us. Vernon is costing the Giants 13, 16, 17, 19.5, 19.5 against the cap over the next 5 years. So far this season he's got 4 sacks. Is that a splash? It sure is a big splash in terms of his cap number, but it's not much in terms of actual on the field production.

Sign a couple of those and you will eat up all of the value you gained by having a young franchise QB, and you won't be much better as a team.

I want one guy -- who he is, admittedly, I don't know. As I have said several times, I need to check out the upcoming class of FA's. and I'm sure (as I have also said) that McClay and Vital are all over it. There is no problem, it is a generalization. A plan. An idea. A thought. A possible direction.

I have bloody covered every corner of this argument I possibly can in this thread. Respectfully, JD, my bud.

And not to toot my own horn (well, <toot toot>), I think I make a good counterpoint.

There's almost nothing else I can add, that I haven't said. There's nuance in my argument. Look for it. Again, with all due respect, my brother.

waldoputty

Reaction score
The problem is that you are not offering up an actual person to make the splash. Yes, I'd love to get someone terrific, now who is he? I don't know who's expected to be out there, and you don't throw money at guys hoping to make a splash - you need a specific target who you believe is guaranteed to make that splash for us. Vernon is costing the Giants 13, 16, 17, 19.5, 19.5 against the cap over the next 5 years. So far this season he's got 4 sacks. Is that a splash? It sure is a big splash in terms of his cap number, but it's not much in terms of actual on the field production.

Sign a couple of those and you will eat up all of the value you gained by having a young franchise QB, and you won't be much better as a team.

Here are obvious options - also Sheard DE of NE - also Mo or replacement, Mcclain DT or replacement, and Leary or replacement:

1. Chandler Jones 3-4 OLB 27 ARI
2. Jamie Collins 3-4 OLB 27 CLE

3. Le’Veon Bell RB 25 PIT
4. Kirk Cousins QB 29 WAS Franchised
5. Kawann Short DT 28 CAR
6. Alshon Jeffery WR 27 CHI Franchised
7. Dont’a Hightower 4-3 OLB 27 NE
8. Eric Berry S 28 KC Franchised
9. Kevin Zeitler G 27 CIN
10. Melvin Ingram 3-4 OLB 28 SD
11. T.J. Lang G 29 GB
12. Calais Campbell 3-4 DE 31 ARI
13. A.J. Bouye CB 25 HOU
14. Tony Jefferson S 25 ARI
15. Terrelle Pryor WR 27 CLE
16. Ryan Schraeder OT 29 ATL
17. Jason Pierre-Paul 4-3 DE 28 NYG
18. Bennie Logan DT 27 PHI
19. Nick Perry 3-4 OLB 26 GB
20. Zach Brown ILB 26 BUF
21. Morris Claiborne CB 26 DAL
22. Martellus Bennett TE 29 NE
23. Nick Fairley DT 28 NO
24. Darian Stewart S 28 DEN
25. Larry Warford G 26 DET to replace Leary
26. Ronald Leary G 27 DAL

27. Eddie Lacy RB 27 GB
28. Trumaine Johnson CB 27 LA Franchised
29. Charles Johnson 4-3 DE 30 CAR
30. Dontari Poe DT 27 KC

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Jaylon Smith will be playing MLB next year.

Sean Lee at WILL and Damien Wilson at SAM.

Anthony Hitchens and Mark Nzeocha will be reserves.

Kyle Wilber likely gets released.

Look to add another draft pick and have Justin Durant (if he doesn't retire) on speed dial in case of a training camp/pre-season injury.

Agreed, Bluefin, I think you're dead on. And in this case it's almost certain that RDE must be addressed. And if it's not there in the first, we'd be screwed. And if it is, it's an awefully lofty expectation to put the onus on a rook, even a hit, a hit out of the park, with where we're gonna be picking, to come in and salve our woeful DE wound.

Reaction score
You're missing the 9M they save in 2018.
understood, I was responding to the question on 2017. Based on below and if I'm interpreting properly, it looks like we'd save considerably more than 9M in 2018 and 2019 if Romo was not on the team next year.

YEAR | AGE | BASE SALARY | SIGNING BONUS |OPTION BONUS | RESTRUC. BONUS | CAP HIT | DEAD CAP
2016 36 $8,500,000 $5,000,000 $1,635,000 $5,700,000 $20,835,000 $40,435,000
2017 37 $14,000,000 $5,000,000 $5,700,000 $24,700,000 $19,600,000
2018 38 $19,500,000 $5,700,000 $25,200,000 $8,900,000
2019 39 $20,500,000 $3,200,000 $23,700,000 $3,200,000

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Isn't Sheldon Richardson a FA next year. That said, I don't know if he's the kinda headache we wanna bring on.

lwehlers

Reaction score
Here are names to remember as Dallas chases Free Agents. Dre Kirkpatrick, Barkavious Mingo amd Cordorelle Patterson
mingo is the only one that is worth anything. Kirkpatrick is a Claiborne clone so might as well keep mo. Patterson is a first round bust who has blazing speed but nothing more.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
My whole point is that the dynamic is different, now. Stephen was operating his "philosophy" on the pretext of a different team, a different makeup, and the heels of 8-8 redundancy. To argue this with me will be futile.

With respect to you Asthma (and you know how much I admire you), we don't know the future direction of this team.

But I gave you a "like" because your post was amazing, as always :)

And I said that maybe the dynamic is viewed differently by the Cowboys because of Dak. I mean, we just don't know how they'll view it after this season. Heck, we don't even know how this season will eventually play out. That is important in our discussion. If you're saying you think the dynamic has changed and that Dallas should sign a catalytic player... then you and I are in agreement. I hope they do.

However, if you're saying you know that the Cowboys will view it differently after this season, then all I'm saying is that I'm not sure they will. I'm just not convinced. .

Does Dallas view themselves as contenders now? Certainly, they do. They also viewed themselves as contenders after the 12-4 season, I'm sure. Their philosophy didn't change at that point. They let Murray walk (in large part because of his position and how age effects RB). They did sign Hardy because they recognized that it was their biggest weakness and wanted to shore it up on a contending team, so I do think they might try a big signing this offseason...

Which brings me to one of my biggest points: I tend to doubt that a truly catalytic player who is young enough and good enough off the field will even be available in Free agency.

Having to hope that Dallas changes philosophically and that a guy good enough to make them change it will be available, just might be a bridge too far. I certainly wouldn't call their entire offseason a failure if that longshot doesn't come to pass.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
What not there, Darth? Not many good DE's or MLB's? Or both? I've been lazy, I need to check out the 2016-2017 free agency list for DE's and MLB's

I think he meant to say "It's not their MO"

JDSmith

Reaction score
Which brings me to one of my biggest points: I tend to doubt that a truly catalytic player who is young enough and good enough off the field will even be available in Free agency.

Having to hope that Dallas changes philosophically and that a guy good enough to make them change it will be available, just might be a bridge too far. I certainly wouldn't call their entire offseason a failure if that longshot doesn't come to pass.

And that's my issue in a nutshell. You don't go out and say,"We need a splash player" because there might not be any. Teams who go into the offseason determined to get a splash typically overpay and reach for someone in a desperate attempt to create said splash. That rarely ends well for the team.

We don't need a splash, we need to improve our defense - that might come through the draft or one great free agent signing, or it might come by adding 2 or 3 really solid players at reasonable prices. As long as it improves the defense, it's a win.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Here are obvious options - also Sheard DE of NE - also Mo or replacement, Mcclain DT or replacement, and Leary or replacement:

1. Chandler Jones 3-4 OLB 27 ARI
2. Jamie Collins 3-4 OLB 27 CLE

3. Le’Veon Bell RB 25 PIT
4. Kirk Cousins QB 29 WAS Franchised
5. Kawann Short DT 28 CAR
6. Alshon Jeffery WR 27 CHI Franchised
7. Dont’a Hightower 4-3 OLB 27 NE
8. Eric Berry S 28 KC Franchised
9. Kevin Zeitler G 27 CIN
10. Melvin Ingram 3-4 OLB 28 SD
11. T.J. Lang G 29 GB
12. Calais Campbell 3-4 DE 31 ARI
13. A.J. Bouye CB 25 HOU
14. Tony Jefferson S 25 ARI
15. Terrelle Pryor WR 27 CLE
16. Ryan Schraeder OT 29 ATL
17. Jason Pierre-Paul 4-3 DE 28 NYG
18. Bennie Logan DT 27 PHI
19. Nick Perry 3-4 OLB 26 GB
20. Zach Brown ILB 26 BUF
21. Morris Claiborne CB 26 DAL
22. Martellus Bennett TE 29 NE
23. Nick Fairley DT 28 NO
24. Darian Stewart S 28 DEN
25. Larry Warford G 26 DET to replace Leary
26. Ronald Leary G 27 DAL

27. Eddie Lacy RB 27 GB
28. Trumaine Johnson CB 27 LA Franchised
29. Charles Johnson 4-3 DE 30 CAR
30. Dontari Poe DT 27 KC

We need to re-sign Mo, Carr, and Church. Mo at 5-5.5 aav (I was 3-3.5 mil higher before his recent soft tissue injury), Carr around 3-4 aav, and Church somewhere around 2-2.5 aav. Otherwise we have additional holes in the draft -- and -- petty, low-level free agent signings to shore up the secondary.

lwehlers

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith will be playing MLB next year.

Sean Lee at WILL and Damien Wilson at SAM.

Anthony Hitchens and Mark Nzeocha will be reserves.

Kyle Wilber likely gets released.

Look to add another draft pick and have Justin Durant (if he doesn't retire) on speed dial in case of a training camp/pre-season injury.
we need another linebacker in the middle rounds next year to maybe backup lee if he goes down. I still do not see the love for nzeocha the guy has never played in an actual game has he. maybe we try to get rid of him with someone who can actually be active on game day.

waldoputty

Reaction score
And I said that maybe the dynamic is viewed differently by the Cowboys because of Dak. I mean, we just don't know how they'll view it after this season. Heck, we don't even know how this season will eventually play out. That is important in our discussion. If you're saying you think the dynamic has changed and that Dallas should sign a catalytic player... then you and I are in agreement. I hope they do.

However, if you're saying you know that the Cowboys will view it differently after this season, then all I'm saying is that I'm not sure they will. I'm just not convinced. .

Does Dallas view themselves as contenders now? Certainly, they do. They also viewed themselves as contenders after the 12-4 season, I'm sure. Their philosophy didn't change at that point. They let Murray walk (in large part because of his position and how age effects RB). They did sign Hardy because they recognized that it was their biggest weakness and wanted to shore it up on a contending team, so I do think they might try a big signing this offseason...

understood, I was responding to the question on 2017. Based on below and if I'm interpreting properly, it looks like we'd save considerably more than 9M in 2018 and 2019 if Romo was not on the team next year.

YEAR | AGE | BASE SALARY | SIGNING BONUS |OPTION BONUS | RESTRUC. BONUS | CAP HIT | DEAD CAP
2016 36 $8,500,000 $5,000,000 $1,635,000 $5,700,000 $20,835,000 $40,435,000
2017 37 $14,000,000 $5,000,000 $5,700,000 $24,700,000 $19,600,000
2018 38 $19,500,000 $5,700,000 $25,200,000 $8,900,000
2019 39 $20,500,000 $3,200,000 $23,700,000 $3,200,000

How can we have the cake and eat it too?

Salary cap is no problem - $10M/yr annual rise until 2020 - unprecedented.
Massive cap manipulation is possible as a result.
For example, TSmith's and TFred contracts are built for annual restructuring for creating cap space.

Here is a simple example for free agent X with a 50M 5 year contract and $9M signing bonus:
Year ------Year 1---------------Year 2-------------Year 3-----------Year 4----------Year 5
Base -------$1M ----------------$10M--------------$10M-----------$10M-----------$10M
Bonus------$2M ----------------$2M--------------$2M-------------$2M-------------$2M
Cap hit----$3M-----------------$12M-------------$12M-----------$12M-----------$12M

In year 2, to open up cap space, you restructure the contract with a $8M restructure bonus and while reducing year 2 salary to $2M:
Year -----Year 2-----------Year 3-----------Year 4----------Year 5
Base -----$2M------------$10M------------$10M-----------$10M
Bonus----$2M -------------$2M-------------$2M------------$2M
Restru---$2M--------------$2M-------------$2M------------$2M
Cap hit---$6M------------$14M------------$14M-----------$14M

You can say $6M is pretty big for a restructured contract. The reason it is $6M is that I did not cut the base salary to $1M because the math is more cumbersome. It could easily be $5M. Cap experts can probably do better also, but this is my little attempt.

This type of contract is typical, and can be used to resign Mo or replacement FA CB, TWill, DT Mcclain, Church, Wilcox and even Leary. The year 1 cap hit for these could be in the range of: Mo/replacement ($3M), TWill ($2M), Mcclain ($2M), Church ($1.5M), Wilcox ($1.5M) and Leary ($2M), totaling $12M. The year 2 cap hit for these could be in the range of: Mo/replacement ($5M), TWill ($3.5M), Mcclain ($3.5M), Church ($2M), Wilcox ($2M) an Leary ($3.5M), totaling $17.5M.

You can also argue that as you keep restructuring, the $ keep rising and sooner or later it will blow up. That is where the $10M/yr annual cap rise comes in, as well as Romo/Witten contracts coming off the books.

waldoputty

Reaction score
We need to re-sign Mo, Carr, and Church. Mo at 5-5.5 aav (I was 3-3.5 mil higher before his recent soft tissue injury), Carr around 3-4 aav, and Church somewhere around 2-2.5 aav. Otherwise we have additional holes in the draft -- and -- petty, low-level free agent signings to shore up the secondary.

see my post #75

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

I can't argue with anything in this post. I just dislike the absolutes, the "we have a new philosophy, haven't you seen it" arguement from some in here (not you).

I've been saying all thread, let's see what happens with this new team and new approach, and for me, hope it includes an impact signing for our very needy D :)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
And that's my issue in a nutshell. You don't go out and say,"We need a splash player" because there might not be any. Teams who go into the offseason determined to get a splash typically overpay and reach for someone in a desperate attempt to create said splash. That rarely ends well for the team.

We don't need a splash, we need to improve our defense - that might come through the draft or one great free agent signing, or it might come by adding 2 or 3 really solid players at reasonable prices. As long as it improves the defense, it's a win.

I've always said smart. And part of your post says what I've been saying lol