The Sean Lee question

davidariust24

Reaction score
Let's be real. Lee USED TO be one of the best linebackers in the league when healthy. He's not the same player he was even a few years ago. He was a liability earlier this year, and teams were intentionally trying to match up players on him in the passing game.

Just because a player has played well in the past and is a fan favorite does not mean that he gets a pass. LVE is substantially better than Lee as a rookie.

If the team is smart, Lee will be an overpaid, quality backup for this season and riding the pine. That's fine for this year, but next year the team can assess options with Lee.

The team needs to be honest with itself about Lee's ability at this point and assess him for who he is NOW, not who he was.
He is just as good in the passing game as LVE is they can cover straight routes but routes with twist and turns they can't cover. Lee is still a great player. He isnt a has been. I'm very sure that once he gets back he will be back to his usual self making tons of tackles and getting tackles for loss.

davidariust24

Reaction score
Lee was an asset to the team last year. Early this year he looked like a complete liability. There have been times this year that he has, due to his recognition, made a play. One in particular probably accounted a game saving play, at the time it was made.

But LVE is significantly outplaying Lee. Anyone who doesn't see that isn't on point. At least that's the way I see it.

One more thing. Lee played putrid in his first few games this year. I'm not sure what was up with that. Maybe he was injured or whatever, but it was clear he wasn't the same player he was last year, especially early in the year.
You're talking about the first one or two games like vs the Panthers, every one knew what that was. That was because he didn't play the entire preseason so he really hadn't tackled anyone for a year because they wanted to make sure he was healthy for the first game but once he got his feet under him he was back to being who he was as usual

davidariust24

Reaction score
Lve
Lee was an asset to the team last year. Early this year he looked like a complete liability. There have been times this year that he has, due to his recognition, made a play. One in particular probably accounted a game saving play, at the time it was made.

But LVE is significantly outplaying Lee. Anyone who doesn't see that isn't on point. At least that's the way I see it.

One more thing. Lee played putrid in his first few games this year. I'm not sure what was up with that. Maybe he was injured or whatever, but it was clear he wasn't the same player he was last year, especially early in the year.
I like LVE a lot because he is the future, hes not the leader of the defense yet and Sean lee can still play just as good as he can right now. The only reason that the numbers that Lee may not show like it used to is because LVE and Jaylon Smith have gotten so good that Lee doeant have to make all the plays anymore but I know for sure if LVE got hurt Lee would put up big numbers as usual

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I looked through a few pages and it looks like most people want to avoid this question, but what do we do with Sean Lee both for the rest of the year and for next. I have to think there are a variety of situations where we can use any combination of LVE, Lee, and Smith in the short term and still get the most out of them... but looking ahead to next year. No way is Lee worth a $7 million base contract to us anymore, I would say keep him, but make him take a decent sized paycheck to play here next year.

Make him the LB coach, oh wait he already is..

Verdict

Reaction score
I avoid the question because the Lee situation is an emotional one.

I really root for the guy.

Exactly when a fan favorite starts to decline is always a hot button topic. When a guy who has been a top performer (or perceived to be) fans often shrug it off as being an aberration. Dez fans still can't accept that he is done based on 3 full years of sucking.

Witten fans thought that Witten had earned the right to play as long as he wanted to which is also absurd.

Sean Lee seems to be in the cusp of falling off the face of the earth, which is a little but surprising considering he played at a high level just last year. But early this year, to say Lee underperformed would be putting it kindly.

foofighters

Reaction score
I looked through a few pages and it looks like most people want to avoid this question, but what do we do with Sean Lee both for the rest of the year and for next. I have to think there are a variety of situations where we can use any combination of LVE, Lee, and Smith in the short term and still get the most out of them... but looking ahead to next year. No way is Lee worth a $7 million base contract to us anymore, I would say keep him, but make him take a decent sized paycheck to play here next year.
Who?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Exactly when a fan favorite starts to decline is always a hot button topic. When a guy who has been a top performer (or perceived to be) fans often shrug it off as being an aberration. Dez fans still can't accept that he is done based on 3 full years of sucking.

Witten fans thought that Witten had earned the right to play as long as he wanted to which is also absurd.

Sean Lee seems to be in the cusp of falling off the face of the earth, which is a little but surprising considering he played at a high level just last year. But early this year, to say Lee underperformed would be putting it kindly.

I'd be more in Lee's corner as well, but there was a play this year where Dion Lewis ran by him like he was standing still.
It's one thing to lose a step, and quite another to not even have the athleticism left to be remotely in position to make the play.
Still love the dude, but it's time to move on.
Now the problem is we still need LB depth.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'd be more in Lee's corner as well, but there was a play this year where Dion Lewis ran by him like he was standing still.
It's one thing to lose a step, and quite another to not even have the athleticism left to be remotely in position to make the play.
Still love the dude, but it's time to move on.
Now the problem is we still need LB depth.

Our linebacker depth, even without Lee, is much better than it has been in years past. But yes, if Lee moves on we will need to add another, preferably dominant linebacker.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I really feel they should wait until after next season then renegotiate. After this season I expect to see growth next year and if that happens then it's time to talk about reducing salary but not right off the bat after LVEs first season and Jaylons first healthy season., but after next season it's time to use that money to pay Jaylon.

Contract runs through 2019. Extending him before the 2019 season can bring his 10million doller cap hit down while he adjusts to a new role in backing up LVE. Either that or it's time to pay him to coach.

Verdict

Reaction score
Contract runs through 2019. Extending him before the 2019 season can bring his 10million doller cap hit down while he adjusts to a new role in backing up LVE. Either that or it's time to pay him to coach.

Why would you want to extend him? To make a pay cut not seem to be a pay cut, and pay him more money over time? Or to actually cut his pay?

If we extend him for a year he never sees, unless it is actually tied to expected performance is a bad idea.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Being a part time player and backup could extend his career.

Use limited snaps, as is often done with older defensive ends.

He still brings a whole lot to the table, especially for packages. His experience when all is on the line, is invaluable as well. He does call defenses top shelf...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Why would you want to extend him? To make a pay cut not seem to be a pay cut, and pay him more money over time? Or to actually cut his pay?

If we extend him for a year he never sees, unless it is actually tied to expected performance is a bad idea.

Bet you are also for taking big bucks even when deaths are discarded also? Billions/escape goats...billions?

My point: don't take heart out of view for a football fan!

No, I also like his contributions...not tied into wins associated with a myriad of other factors as well.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Funny how when a player is out, his contributions get minimized and Lee still has one of the best recognition minds in the game. He has future coach written all over him but that doesn't mean he has to take a pay cut. Smith and LVE are still on their 1st contracts.

Man, I hate the outlook of a group all seeing convenience of let's ax this escape goat, and imply that he's the whipping boy now. Hate that attitude...

lukin2006

Reaction score
Look at it this way, it unfortunate that Lee is out for so many games...but if he was not injured, we would not be witnessing a stud LB blossoming and getting better every week...

Verdict

Reaction score
Bet you are also for taking big bucks even when deaths are discarded also? Billions/escape goats...billions?

My point: don't take heart out of view for a football fan!

No, I also like his contributions...not tied into wins associated with a myriad of other factors as well.

I don't know what you mean by this post. Don't take the heart out of football? I disagree. You play the better player. You pay the better player. You pay for performance, not past performance. When it is time to send a player to pasture, send them to pasture.

I don't think Lee is completely done yet, but the fat lady is warming up to sing on his career. He's brilliant. There is no denying that. But brilliance alone won't get him very far, and he's slipping physically.

I hope we keep him around to coach the LBs. But he hasn't played well at times this year. When have you ever been able to say that prior to this year. Father Time is gaining ground on him rapidly.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Worry about next season .....next season. Right now with a healthy Sean we have arguably the best LB core in the NFL. Lets ride this wave to the playoffs and see what happens when we get there.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Look at it this way, it unfortunate that Lee is out for so many games...but if he was not injured, we would not be witnessing a stud LB blossoming and getting better every week...

LVE was given opportunity and stepped up...greats do that. As to Lee, it really isn't an either/or deal. A lot of things, including contract, can change...

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by this post. Don't take the heart out of football? I disagree. You play the better player. You pay the better player. You pay for performance, not past performance. When it is time to send a player to pasture, send them to pasture.

I don't think Lee is completely done yet, but the fat lady is warming up to sing on his career. He's brilliant. There is no denying that. But brilliance alone won't get him very far, and he's slipping physically.

I hope we keep him around to coach the LBs. But he hasn't played well at times this year. When have you ever been able to say that prior to this year. Father Time is gaining ground on him rapidly.

Naw, you conveniently 'don't know' to not alter your agenda chosen:

LVE was given opportunity and stepped up...greats do that. As to Lee, it really isn't an either/or deal. A lot of things, including contract, can change...

now play your cheeky route.