The Sky is Falling or Crying

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The coaching staff will get another year. Zeke's suspension will be considered the reason for offensive failure. The defense has actually exceeded expectations considering they replaced the 3/4ths of the secondary with inexperienced players and Jaylon has played far too many snaps. The also have no legit 1tech. They must add talent regardless of coaching.

2018:

Draft BPA. Franchise DLaw. First round tender for Irving. Sign 1 legit Free Agent.

Super Star - They need to add a couple of Super Star players regardless of position. We've seen with Zeke how Super Stars make the team better even at a position that was not a perceived need.

WR - Maybe the biggest need. Dez just can't get open and doesn't catch many of the balls that hit his hands. They've tried to do too much with TWill because they lack a legit #1 and have a TE with limited range. Beasley is good when defenses are worried about other receiving threats but can be shut down when other receivers don't draw double-teams. Give Brown more snaps in 2017 to prep him to replace Butler in 2018.

TE - The top 2 receiving threats can't be a 35 year old TE and a very limited #1 WR. They might get by with one or the other but not both. Is Rico a legit option? I don't really want to draft one in the 2nd...

OT - Can Tyron have surgery on his back? I think compensating for his back might have caused the groin issue. They need a legit backup. Maybe sign 10 Greg Robinson types and see if one can play. Time to draft one also. They're paying for the decision in 2015 to re-sign Free instead of Parnell.

LB - They can't depend on Lee anymore. Jaylon may get to an OK level but they need more than just OK at 1 of the LB positions. Hitchens will want to leave because they've tried to give his job to Jaylon.

1tech - They must get a legit player here. Dontari Poe for 1-year, 8M would have been great. They need an experienced player here for 2018. Poe will be available.

Safety - We saw some of the reasons Woods has not been starting. He was out of position on at least one of the big runs by the Eagles. Maybe Awuzie comes back and plays this position.

DE - DLaw likely Franchised or re-signed. Irving could play some DE if a legit 1tech is acquired. Taco should be better next season. DLaw made a big improvement his 2nd season, IIRC. It would be interesting to give Jaylon snaps at RDE but I doubt it happens.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Zeke being out shouldn’t be an excuse for Garrett. If one non QB player being out destroys your season, you aren’t who you thought you were. Zeke is a great player, but missing any player other than a star QB should never have this big of an impact on an offense. If it does, you’ve got some serious explaining to do.

Other than that, agree with most of the rest.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke being out shouldn’t be an excuse for Garrett. If one non QB player being out destroys your season, you aren’t who you thought you were. Zeke is a great player, but missing any player other than a star QB should never have this big of an impact on an offense. If it does, you’ve got some serious explaining to do.

It will save him with Jerry. Stephen will not want to hire new coaches yet because they are all owed a lot of money.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

I mean this isn't on Zeke. Morris averaged Morrie yards per carry last night than Zeke has on the season and he did that without Tyron (no he isn't better but this is proof that our running game will be fine).

This isn't just about losing Zeke. This is about losing your 3 best players at once. What team in the NFL can lose their TOP 3 players and not miss a beat. Not an important player. Not a guy you'd like to keep. But your THREE best players.

This is an excuse. It's also the truth.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Meh, I'll watch the games. I've lost confidence in the organization to the point where mapping out plans for next year doesn't interest me. They either won't happen, or something else will go wrong and leadership won't be able to adapt. Another season down the drain, and we're back to a thread like this again. It's been that way for 20 years.

Go Cowboys.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten can’t be the primary TE next year. Too slow and really hinders the offense.

3X15CON1899.png

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
The coaching staff will get another year. Zeke's suspension will be considered the reason for offensive failure. The defense has actually exceeded expectations considering they replaced the 3/4ths of the secondary with inexperienced players and Jaylon has played far too many snaps. The also have no legit 1tech. They must add talent regardless of coaching.

2018:

Draft BPA. Franchise DLaw. First round tender for Irving. Sign 1 legit Free Agent.

Super Star - They need to add a couple of Super Star players regardless of position. We've seen with Zeke how Super Stars make the team better even at a position that was not a perceived need.

WR - Maybe the biggest need. Dez just can't get open and doesn't catch many of the balls that hit his hands. They've tried to do too much with TWill because they lack a legit #1 and have a TE with limited range. Beasley is good when defenses are worried about other receiving threats but can be shut down when other receivers don't draw double-teams. Give Brown more snaps in 2017 to prep him to replace Butler in 2018.

TE - The top 2 receiving threats can't be a 35 year old TE and a very limited #1 WR. They might get by with one or the other but not both. Is Rico a legit option? I don't really want to draft one in the 2nd...

OT - Can Tyron have surgery on his back? I think compensating for his back might have caused the groin issue. They need a legit backup. Maybe sign 10 Greg Robinson types and see if one can play. Time to draft one also. They're paying for the decision in 2015 to re-sign Free instead of Parnell.

LB - They can't depend on Lee anymore. Jaylon may get to an OK level but they need more than just OK at 1 of the LB positions. Hitchens will want to leave because they've tried to give his job to Jaylon.

1tech - They must get a legit player here. Dontari Poe for 1-year, 8M would have been great. They need an experienced player here for 2018. Poe will be available.

Safety - We saw some of the reasons Woods has not been starting. He was out of position on at least one of the big runs by the Eagles. Maybe Awuzie comes back and plays this position.

DE - DLaw likely Franchised or re-signed. Irving could play some DE if a legit 1tech is acquired. Taco should be better next season. DLaw made a big improvement his 2nd season, IIRC. It would be interesting to give Jaylon snaps at RDE but I doubt it happens.

What about QB?

RS12

Reaction score
They are saying it is not a deep draft this year. Defense needs a run stuffer at DT and two LBs that can run and cover desperately. On offense you need a WR and a TE or a good OL if they are value. Its all re arranging deck chairs at this point though.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
It will save him with Jerry. Stephen will not want to hire new coaches yet because they are all owed a lot of money.
I don’t think he needs an excuse really. I’ve never thought he was in jeopardy over his tenure. Not sure what it will actually take to put him on the hot seat at this point.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
He catches everything thrown to him. He gets results.

He's had 4 games this season with ONE catch and 2 more with 3 catches.

The other issue is teams don't have to worry about him going more than 10 yards down the field.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Jason needs to be relegated to pep squad. I love Witten—Everything he’s done and stands for, but we need a Kelce/Gronk type TE that can break a tackle.

Kelce? Sounds good, but the Cowboys saw someone they liked better and took him instead. His name is Gavin Escobar. He could really be something.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Kelce? Sounds good, but the Cowboys saw someone they liked better and took him instead. His name is Gavin Escobar. He could really be something.
You had to go there, didn’t ya?:)

RS12

Reaction score
My guess is that when push comes to shove Jerry props up Garrett again, and does the same on offense in the draft.

Zordon

Reaction score
although i agree with nearly everything you said, i do not trust this front office to execute this plan in a single offseason. this is a 3 year plan for this cheap, slow, dumb, disorganized front office. and that's only if they hit on players in the draft. look at 2015's draft and tell me you feel confident in these buffoons to draft the right players.