CFZ The stage is set for the sports drama of 2023

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oh I can see Jerry screwing up the MM to Quinn transition royally and we lose both. Jerry and his big mouth to the media is just a time bomb.
Do we really think Quinn wants to stay here as HC?

Surely he’s just waiting on a perfect situation elsewhere? And he’s hoping if he has more success here as DC he will be the top prospect as can basically choose which opening he wants .

Cowboys have been a dead-end HC job since Jimmy left. Only Gailey returned elsewhere after leaving Dallas and it took him about a decade at Ga Tech.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd never rule out McCarthy getting fired during the season, but if you're willing to fire a guy after 2 games then you probably should've replaced him after last season.

Wade was 1-7 when he got fired in-season. I think it would take something more like that for Mike to clean out his office in 2023.
The season was lost already with Phillips and Garrett was in training. I do think Quinn's presence adds another twist to this, especially if Booger has more confidence in him to turn it.

But, I agree, firing him after an 0-2 start, it would have to be a real ugly 0-2.

But I do find the interesting twist of having Moore to compare to McCarthy exacerbates Booger's angst.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
For the sake of argument do we believe there’s a window that if Quinn took a HC job elsewhere and MM was let go after end of his contract in a couple years that if Moore took the league by storm in LA that he could return to Dallas as HC?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Aside from something scandalous, only way for McCarthy to be in serious trouble during the season is if the team record is poor while also "looking" dysfunctional. I just can't see a scenario where they give up on him even if the team has lost some games it shouldn't have unless there is a lot of evidence suggesting it can't get better with him there.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The season was lost already with Phillips and Garrett was in training. I do think Quinn's presence adds another twist to this, especially if Booger has more confidence in him to turn it.

But, I agree, firing him after an 0-2 start, it would have to be a real ugly 0-2.

But I do find the interesting twist of having Moore to compare to McCarthy exacerbates Booger's angst.
Whose decision do we think it was to let Moore go and McCarthy take over play calling. Was it Mike or Jethro?

If it was Mike then his butt is definitely on the line for this offense .

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Whose decision do we think it was to let Moore go and McCarthy take over play calling. Was it Mike or Jethro?

If it was Mike then his butt is definitely on the line for this offense .
I'd guess Mike requested it and Jethro complied.

"Look, if my job is on the line this season then let me control the offense. If I blow it then fire me, but at least let it be in my hands." (or something to that effect)

My read on what Mike has said is he felt Moore was too pass happy in situations with a lead in the second half. They didn't burn clock, there were picks, and games lost - Green Bay and Jacksonville immediately come to mind. Now it'll be in his hands and he owns the results.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Very true but for those of us who were supportive of Garrett there will be some consolation if MM struggles as well.

Much like with Jethro, it’s a double edged sword . We are ultimately rooting for his success as it translates to Cowboys Football success but there is some comfort with his disappointment or lack of success.

When we are talking about the most hated sports personality in DFW versus the most loved sports team it’s always a mixed bag of emotions.
Great post shows how twisted you really are.

A mixed bag of emotions that sums it up pretty well if only there was some logic

CCBoy

Reaction score
After it was all said and done, ESPN determined that the Kansas City Chiefs, Cincinnati Bengals, Philadelphia Eagles, Miami Dolphins and Buffalo Bills (in that order) were the top 5. The Dallas Cowboys just missed out and came in at number six.

6. Dallas Cowboys
Roster core:
QB Dak Prescott, LB Micah Parsons, WR CeeDee Lamb, G Zack Martin, CB Trevon Diggs
Average core age: 26.8
The Cowboys’ core is a clear display of why they are a true — perhaps even underrated — Super Bowl contender. Prescott isn’t at a Mahomes or Allen level, but he’s supported by a Defensive Player of the Year candidate in Parsons, a star No. 1 wideout in Lamb and a future Hall of Fame offensive lineman in Martin. And no player has more interceptions over the past two seasons than Diggs (14).
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...s-core-dak-prescott-micah-parsons-ceedee-lamb

This is an indicator that the show down in the NFC is between Dallas and Philadelphia...I would add San Francisco.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the Cowboys, I shouldn't limit that to sports because they're so reality show like, they get interest from outside the sports world.

Remember that "Season of the Reliable Source" and how much fun that wasn't? This one is the perfect storm for a sequel to that.

The QB leads the league in picks and while they do excuse some of those as receiver error, the response is to let the OC walk, the HC take over play calling with a reference to running the ball more (not his forte, by the way) and no one can be sure if this was really his idea. The team allows one season to label the QB as turnover prone instead of his body of work.

Plenty of blame for Kellen Moore here but once he hit the beach, he didn't have time to get his little umbrella out of his cocktail before he had another OC gig with one of the hottest young QB's in the league. All media eyes in Dallas will not be on NY, PHL or WAS, they will be on the Los Angeles Chargers. Kellen Watch will be in full bloom.

The owner has fired a HC in season just once and he had the heir apparent just waiting to take over. Now, he has Quinn in the wings so the transition would be smooth. Unless you consider Shottenheimer is now the OC and play caller.

More than any HC in the league, McCarthy is going to be under the magnifying glass early on in the season and if he can win the ones he supposed to, he should be OK but lose one of those?

What if the Chargers beat the Dolphins, and look good doing it, on opening weekend and the Cowboys should stumble against the Giants? The Cowboys face their old nemesis, Aaron Rodgers, in the home opener in what could be a must win game for Mike McCarthy.

What if it is the offense struggling and the defense is doing their job? The spotlight will not be brighter on the second weekend of the season than on Dallas with the rumor mill already cooking.

Should the unthinkable happen, the Cowboys open 0-2, it is not fantasy that the other East teams would all be 2-0. The Cowboys are no longer the 3rd best NFC team, they're not even the 3rd best NFC East team.

Conjecture? Of course it is, that is what we do here. But this was the first thing that hit me when they let Moore walk and McCarthy took over the play calling and the QB voiced his opinion on that. This is a keep the QB happy league and this QB was already smarting from the picks. Add to that, they let his guy walk and openly state they want to run the ball more to take it out of the QB's hands.

This team is standing on shaky ground to start the season and they have to come out of the gate smoking. Think the Joneses have the patience to let McCarthy work his way out of a 0-2 hole with Quinn on stand-by?

And what makes this so specific to the Cowboys is the media is begging for this to happen, makes their jobs easier in getting in their required Cowboys coverage but a lot of them would have more fun if the team was struggling.

Go ahead, tell me it can't happen, won't happen. Others have told me that too. Right up until it happened.
The Dak and Zeke era started with a bang and will end with a whimper!
This coming season the offense will once again be our Achilles heel (What else is new) and the bodies that will be left on the field (Coaches and players) will be plenty and significant!
COWBOYS!!!!
P.S. For the "IF" crowd keep on hoping as it's a free country baby!!!!

rambo2

Reaction score
The Dak and Zeke era started with a bang and will end with a whimper!
This coming season the offense will once again be our Achilles heel (What else is new) and the bodies that will be left on the field (Coaches and players) will be plenty and significant!
COWBOYS!!!!
P.S. For the "IF" crowd keep on hoping as it's a free country baby!!!!
An odd way to look at a contender.