CFZ The stage is set for the sports drama of 2023

ESisback

Reaction score
It’s interesting how some who don’t enjoy these type of negative speculative doom and gloom what if type threads all too often gravitate to them if nothing else to tell us how much they don’t like them. Lol
Gravitate to? Not really. You read something you don’t agree with, you voice your opinion. That’s the way these forums work. It’s less an obsession than nonstop stress threads.

blueblood70

Reaction score
With the Cowboys, I shouldn't limit that to sports because they're so reality show like, they get interest from outside the sports world.

Remember that "Season of the Reliable Source" and how much fun that wasn't? This one is the perfect storm for a sequel to that.

The QB leads the league in picks and while they do excuse some of those as receiver error, the response is to let the OC walk, the HC take over play calling with a reference to running the ball more (not his forte, by the way) and no one can be sure if this was really his idea. The team allows one season to label the QB as turnover prone instead of his body of work.

Plenty of blame for Kellen Moore here but once he hit the beach, he didn't have time to get his little umbrella out of his cocktail before he had another OC gig with one of the hottest young QB's in the league. All media eyes in Dallas will not be on NY, PHL or WAS, they will be on the Los Angeles Chargers. Kellen Watch will be in full bloom.

The owner has fired a HC in season just once and he had the heir apparent just waiting to take over. Now, he has Quinn in the wings so the transition would be smooth. Unless you consider Shottenheimer is now the OC and play caller.

More than any HC in the league, McCarthy is going to be under the magnifying glass early on in the season and if he can win the ones he supposed to, he should be OK but lose one of those?

What if the Chargers beat the Dolphins, and look good doing it, on opening weekend and the Cowboys should stumble against the Giants? The Cowboys face their old nemesis, Aaron Rodgers, in the home opener in what could be a must win game for Mike McCarthy.

What if it is the offense struggling and the defense is doing their job? The spotlight will not be brighter on the second weekend of the season than on Dallas with the rumor mill already cooking.

Should the unthinkable happen, the Cowboys open 0-2, it is not fantasy that the other East teams would all be 2-0. The Cowboys are no longer the 3rd best NFC team, they're not even the 3rd best NFC East team.

Conjecture? Of course it is, that is what we do here. But this was the first thing that hit me when they let Moore walk and McCarthy took over the play calling and the QB voiced his opinion on that. This is a keep the QB happy league and this QB was already smarting from the picks. Add to that, they let his guy walk and openly state they want to run the ball more to take it out of the QB's hands.

This team is standing on shaky ground to start the season and they have to come out of the gate smoking. Think the Joneses have the patience to let McCarthy work his way out of a 0-2 hole with Quinn on stand-by?

And what makes this so specific to the Cowboys is the media is begging for this to happen, makes their jobs easier in getting in their required Cowboys coverage but a lot of them would have more fun if the team was struggling.

Go ahead, tell me it can't happen, won't happen. Others have told me that too. Right up until it happened.
I just skimmed this hyperbole and conjecture. its not how you start, its how you finish, case recently the Bengal's starting out horribly ,9ers slowly. both finished strong remember the DC with ES 0-2 won sb.. them starting out 0-2 as death sentence is a bit more then conjecture as if the seasons over.. meh 2 WC games now 17 games changes all that example TB making the playoffs with bad record, its all you need nowadays is a shot much like both Giants SBs. ITS HOW YOU FINISH, need more

3-5 start, 2nd round finish, sound familiar? that would be 2018 DCs... starting out 3-0 didn't get us anywhere recently either. Got Garett fired.. lastly if you think MM could get fired starting 0-2 you need to check the air quality for some fumes in the home. id say thats a mid season judgment ath the earliest say 3-6 maybe and that stretch but possible.

heres a one line conjecture on the other end of the spectrum, if MM starts out 9-2 do they give him a 10 year new deal right then and there?? or do they wait and see how they finish.. isnt it the same? 0-2 really?? come on.

75boyz

Reaction score
There's gotta be somebody here that at least calls Couch an Eagles fan now right?

And no I'm not calling you one Couch, it's just this board has re defined itself into a board where anyone pointing out possible or actual negative circumstances and team criticisms as to being labeled Eagles fans for doing so.
Can you say immaturity to the extreme?, lol.

But back to your OP,
I could see it happening just the way you described it.

jmo

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Gravitate to? Not really. You read something you don’t agree with, you voice your opinion. That’s the way these forums work. It’s less an obsession than nonstop stress threads.
So, you don’t agree with a Cowboy fan making a “ what if” speculative thread ? Got it. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There's gotta be somebody here that at least calls Couch an Eagles fan now right?

And no I'm not calling you one Couch, it's just this board has re defined itself into a board where anyone pointing out possible or actual negative circumstances and team criticisms as to being labeled Eagles fans for doing so.
Can you say immaturity to the extreme?, lol.

But back to your OP,
I could see it happening just the way you described it.

jmo
Right . Anyone providing critical thinking or a negative thought must be an Egirls fan.

Really sad these homers are so lazy that’s their only rebuttal. Such a sensitive bunch. GMAB.

Last edited by a moderator:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just skimmed this hyperbole and conjecture. its not how you start, its how you finish, case recently the Bengal's starting out horribly ,9ers slowly. both finished strong remember the DC with ES 0-2 won sb.. them starting out 0-2 as death sentence is a bit more then conjecture as if the seasons over.. meh 2 WC games now 17 games changes all that example TB making the playoffs with bad record, its all you need nowadays is a shot much like both Giants SBs. ITS HOW YOU FINISH, need more

3-5 start, 2nd round finish, sound familiar? that would be 2018 DCs... starting out 3-0 didn't get us anywhere recently either. Got Garett fired.. lastly if you think MM could get fired starting 0-2 you need to check the air quality for some fumes in the home. id say thats a mid season judgment ath the earliest say 3-6 maybe and that stretch but possible.

heres a one line conjecture on the other end of the spectrum, if MM starts out 9-2 do they give him a 10 year new deal right then and there?? or do they wait and see how they finish.. isnt it the same? 0-2 really?? come on.
There are a lot of ways to arrive at that 0-2 mark. This is a thin team and they have to at least start the season healthy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

While your argument has some merit it’s probably not the same because it’s about perception . Not our perception but Jethro’s .

How long does he go with an 0-2 start or worse before he feels the public pressure to make a move especially with a very popular DC sitting in the wings to potentially stop the bleeding and save the season .

Personally I don’t think 0-2 would be enough to spark a reaction but he definitely could become nervous if it didn’t turn . And why I’d be looking at the Bye with a 2-4 or 1-5 start that could trigger a move .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There are a lot of ways to arrive at that 0-2 mark. This is a thin team and they have to at least start the season healthy.
Yep. Now if a key injury like to Prescott early that could provide a pass for MM. Maybe even a collapse on OL like with Martin and Smith or defensively with Parsons.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is a certain amount of self-selling with positives and any negative vibe can challenge that and some don't like that, I get it.

In the last couple of years I've had to self-sell with positives and any negatives that challenge that foundation are considered the enemy, they steal my mojo.

I am not doing anything but posing a what if because of the owner of this team because he is more in step with the perception of his team, and himself, than any other.

The other element is the fact that there is a qualified candidate in place to step in for the first time since he's owned the team and he made sure he paid him whatever necessary to make sure he is there.

But the counter element is there is not one ready to step in and run the offense should he fire McCarthy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not at all. My message is directed toward those that never seem to post anything BUT negative. Got it?
Yea , of course but Coach isn’t one of those fans.

And thought his scenario and perspective were a reasonable thought for discussion in offseason . Certainly less negative than the dead-end Dak threads.

Even for those that can’t imagine a slow start to the season are you even able to offer your thoughts on Coach’s scenario or are you only here to shoot down the thought of it cause it comes off negative ?

ESisback

Reaction score
Yea , of course but Coach isn’t one of those fans.

And thought his scenario and perspective were a reasonable thought for discussion in offseason . Certainly less negative than the dead-end Dak threads.

Even for those that can’t imagine a slow start to the season are you even able to offer your thoughts on Coach’s scenario or are you only here to shoot down the thought of it cause it comes off negative ?
I certainly can imagine the wheels falling off. I simply have a tendency to voice a concern, then put it aside. I don’t dwell on it.

Beaker42

Reaction score
After considering Jerry Jones' handling of Dave Campo, Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett in hindsight?

Answer: Yes.
This ^^^^^. Campo and Garrett should’ve been canned after one season apiece. Gailey should never have happened. That’s what happens when dumb and dumber are playing with our favorite team.

rambo2

Reaction score
This ^^^^^. Campo and Garrett should’ve been canned after one season apiece. Gailey should never have happened. That’s what happens when dumb and dumber are playing with our favorite team.
That was a long time ago. You have to like what they are doing now. The pump is primed.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
With the Cowboys, I shouldn't limit that to sports because they're so reality show like, they get interest from outside the sports world.

Remember that "Season of the Reliable Source" and how much fun that wasn't? This one is the perfect storm for a sequel to that.

The QB leads the league in picks and while they do excuse some of those as receiver error, the response is to let the OC walk, the HC take over play calling with a reference to running the ball more (not his forte, by the way) and no one can be sure if this was really his idea. The team allows one season to label the QB as turnover prone instead of his body of work.

Plenty of blame for Kellen Moore here but once he hit the beach, he didn't have time to get his little umbrella out of his cocktail before he had another OC gig with one of the hottest young QB's in the league. All media eyes in Dallas will not be on NY, PHL or WAS, they will be on the Los Angeles Chargers. Kellen Watch will be in full bloom.

The owner has fired a HC in season just once and he had the heir apparent just waiting to take over. Now, he has Quinn in the wings so the transition would be smooth. Unless you consider Shottenheimer is now the OC and play caller.

More than any HC in the league, McCarthy is going to be under the magnifying glass early on in the season and if he can win the ones he supposed to, he should be OK but lose one of those?

What if the Chargers beat the Dolphins, and look good doing it, on opening weekend and the Cowboys should stumble against the Giants? The Cowboys face their old nemesis, Aaron Rodgers, in the home opener in what could be a must win game for Mike McCarthy.

What if it is the offense struggling and the defense is doing their job? The spotlight will not be brighter on the second weekend of the season than on Dallas with the rumor mill already cooking.

Should the unthinkable happen, the Cowboys open 0-2, it is not fantasy that the other East teams would all be 2-0. The Cowboys are no longer the 3rd best NFC team, they're not even the 3rd best NFC East team.

Conjecture? Of course it is, that is what we do here. But this was the first thing that hit me when they let Moore walk and McCarthy took over the play calling and the QB voiced his opinion on that. This is a keep the QB happy league and this QB was already smarting from the picks. Add to that, they let his guy walk and openly state they want to run the ball more to take it out of the QB's hands.

This team is standing on shaky ground to start the season and they have to come out of the gate smoking. Think the Joneses have the patience to let McCarthy work his way out of a 0-2 hole with Quinn on stand-by?

And what makes this so specific to the Cowboys is the media is begging for this to happen, makes their jobs easier in getting in their required Cowboys coverage but a lot of them would have more fun if the team was struggling.

Go ahead, tell me it can't happen, won't happen. Others have told me that too. Right up until it happened.
I'd never rule out McCarthy getting fired during the season, but if you're willing to fire a guy after 2 games then you probably should've replaced him after last season.

Wade was 1-7 when he got fired in-season. I think it would take something more like that for Mike to clean out his office in 2023.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yest but 100 ways to survive and overcome it, miss the point much? its not death sentence in today's NFL wasn't back in the 90s either. I was clear on those 17 games 2 WCs lot of teams had slow starts but strong finishes. i guess i should paste and cut my last response. :facepalm: MM job wil not be in jeopardy if we start 0-2 that absurd..same reason as my first line.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If that's how you see this, can't help you. I can read it to you but I can't make you
Coach, it could absolutely happen. Or not happen. It’s the modern day Cowboys.

One thing I’ve come to believe over the last few years is somewhat surprising- I don’t think Jerry is as desperate to win as we think he would. I think he just loves playing with his football toy and making loads of cash with little effort.

Does he want to win a championship again? He would love to for sure. But is he willing to “do whatever it would take” to win? He‘s proven for nearly 3 decades he doesn’t want to win that bad.
This feels different. I remember Jimmy Johnson’s revolving door. This is not the same organization efforts. I’m liking it.