The straw that will break the camel's back

ryanbabs

Reaction score
This is not a Dak Prescott thread, it's just the opposite. This is about what to do instead of signing him to a long term deal.

There are some that want to tag him, pay him 30M for one season and draft a QB, I do not. The reason being you are still going to have to keep paying a lot of money to surround him with talent. I think Byron Jones is better at his position than Prescott is at his and more critical to keep. There are other options for a more affordable QB like maybe Bridgewater if Brees doesn't retire.

This team is unusual in that they have 4 OL in the top 6 paid at their position, the top paid RB and 3/4 DE and as a group they are not delivering according to their cap hits. They're not bad, just not that good.

Prescott is not bad either just not as good as the Tier 1 QBs with GB, NO and SEA and questionable whether he's as good as the one in SF. Do we want to make the same mistake that it looks like LAR and PHL have made?

It has become apparent to me that to be a true contender year after year, a team has to have that Tier 1 QB. Dak Prescott is not that guy and I think the Cowboys need to go as high as they can to get one that might be that guy and if not, go back again until they get him.

There is a chance the team has a new HC and we do not know what other changes that will bring about but maybe they do get Riley for the QB development but that would necessitate a new QB. This QB is not consistently as accurate as his last 3 QB's at OU.

Like I said, this is not about Prescott and whether he's deserving of a 35M contract, it's whether that should happen with this team and I say no for the reasons above. If this team is going to pay a QB top dollar, they need one that will not necessitate that being required of too many other players on offense. And we're looking at letting our most consistent player on the D walk to keep a QB and/or WR paid at the top tier level. This is an incomplete defense and will get worse without Jones.

OK, again, not about Prescott, this is about the idea of trying to get that future Tier 1 QB which would probably mean a couple of steps back to take some forward but steps I believe necessary to reach the destination.
The Cowboys can win with Dak. He's not the problem. Why do we want to draft another QB that odds say won't be as good as Dak? Aaron Rodgers is a tier 1 QB and the Packers don't always make the playoffs either. Brees is a tier 1 QB and the Saints don't always make the playoffs. Brady is a tier 1 QB and always does make the playoffs. The difference is coaching. This is the Cowboys #1 issue.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Cowboys can win with Dak. He's not the problem. Why do we want to draft another QB that odds say won't be as good as Dak? Aaron Rodgers is a tier 1 QB and the Packers don't always make the playoffs either. Brees is a tier 1 QB and the Saints don't always make the playoffs. Brady is a tier 1 QB and always does make the playoffs. The difference is coaching. This is the Cowboys #1 issue.
The problem is, it's starting to look like the Cowboys need all pro bowl OL, and how long can we do that? Dak looks fantastic when he doesn't have much pressure, but you have to admit he looks rather pedestrian when he doesn't have 4 or 5 seconds on most snaps. I hope that's something he can improve, but if not, the Boys are going to have a rough time.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem is, it's starting to look like the Cowboys need all pro bowl OL, and how long can we do that? Dak looks fantastic when he doesn't have much pressure, but you have to admit he looks rather pedestrian when he doesn't have 4 or 5 seconds on most snaps. I hope that's something he can improve, but if not, the Boys are going to have a rough time.
I think overall he has been much better with that this season. I agree he has enjoyed overall good pass protection this year, but I also think part of the reason we don't notice the pressure getting to him so much is because he is making quicker, more decisive reads, so he gets rid of the ball before the pressure gets to him.

That said, he handled things poorly on Thanksgiving. That may have been his roughest outing this year. He threw off his back foot more than he has most of the season, forced passes, and generally made some poor choices.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While coaching is an issue, I believe the QB situation is as well.

A Tier 1 QB is steak, you can eat that without anything else.

A Tier 2 QB is a good burger, you need the accompaniments with that like a slice of cheese, D, condiment, RB, etc.

The teams with the Tier 1's will make the playoffs more often and stand a better chance of winning when they get there and their greatest hindrance is injury to that player, not the others around him.

starfan1

Reaction score
How much was I thinking? :D

Actually, I was thinking Teddy would sign for around 25. I could be wrong, but then I don't think anyone else will pay him more than that.

well if Teddy would sign for that I am down with it even though I feel Dak is more than capable. How much is Foles making? That's were i figure the Teddy discussion would begin

starfan1

Reaction score
While coaching is an issue, I believe the QB situation is as well.

A Tier 1 QB is steak, you can eat that without anything else.

A Tier 2 QB is a good burger, you need the accompaniments with that like a slice of cheese, D, condiment, RB, etc.

The teams with the Tier 1's will make the playoffs more often and stand a better chance of winning when they get there and their greatest hindrance is injury to that player, not the others around him.

Was Romo teir 1 or 2? and how much did we make playoffs with him? The problem is Garrett! And the defense and special teams which leads back to Garrett. Dak has made playoffs 2 out 3 years and will likely do so again this year. Now I will say when you get to the dance having a tier 1 QB helps and can be the difference between SB or not

But hes well down the list of concerns

Dalmations202

Reaction score
IMO, there are only 4 Tier one QB's. These are the guys that will consistently put the team on their back and beat you at a high percentage.
Brady, Brees, Rogers, and Mahomes.

The rest like Prescott, Wilson, Mayfield, Murray, Jones, Rivers, Ryan, Watson, Jackson, Trubisky, Allen, Darnold, and a slew of others are Tier 2 and look great at times, but won't beat you consistently.

Develop your Tier 2 QB, draft one in the top 3 rounds every 3 years, and hope to finally find a Tier 1, and trade your Tier 2. If not, you still have a trading chip if you develop well.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was Romo teir 1 or 2? and how much did we make playoffs with him? The problem is Garrett! And the defense and special teams which leads back to Garrett. Dak has made playoffs 2 out 3 years and will likely do so again this year. Now I will say when you get to the dance having a tier 1 QB helps and can be the difference between SB or not

But hes well down the list of concerns
Romo was Tier 2. The Cowboys have only had 4 Tier 1's, Meredith, Morton, Staubach and Aikman. White and Romo were the two Tier 2's. White was actually close to a Tier 1.