The straw that will break the camel's back

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But the OP is ALL about Dak. You kept repeating it it is not about Dak, but yet everything comes back to not keeping Dak. Not paying Dak, losing other players because of Dak.
also Bridgewater signed a new deal and a fairly decent one to stay in NO. As they told him they have confidence for him to take over for Brees, whenever that may be. Even a few years out.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Getting the next great QB doesn't always turn out that way.

Could you imagine trading up to get Mariota or Winston or Trubisky or Carr for example?
That is inherent in the game as there are no guarantees in the draft. The question is do you overpay for one that is not Tier 1 necessitating more money to the O side of the ball?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But the OP is ALL about Dak. You kept repeating it it is not about Dak, but yet everything comes back to not keeping Dak. Not paying Dak, losing other players because of Dak.
also Bridgewater signed a new deal and a fairly decent one to stay in NO. As they told him they have confidence for him to take over for Brees, whenever that may be. Even a few years out.
No way to really not make this about the present QB when I am in favor of going for another, you are correct. Just didn't want to turn this into another attack/defend the QB thread.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Perhaps they need to rethink uncaring so much into the OLine and RB. Teams competing for titles are built on defense and solid QB play.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Jerry should have learned from Romo's contract but yet he's still making the same mistakes he made when the team was enduring what I refer to as, cap hell.

I do not think Prescott is worth a top QB contact. He's proven nothing so far. Draft a QB, and not one that is a 6th round pick. Keep Prescott only if he settles for a more reasonable contract, but still draft a QB.

Remember, you can't keep the team together very long if your mindset is that no one is replaceable.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if its just so easy to find a Tier 1 Qb,just ask the Bears or the eagles or the Rams or the Bucs or the Titans or the Dolphins ...........
That's a fact but what's the alternative, the bird in the hand worth two in the bush? Settle for Tier 2 at Tier 1 money making it difficult to get the O and D more balanced with resources?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
That is inherent in the game as there are no guarantees in the draft. The question is do you overpay for one that is not Tier 1 necessitating more money to the O side of the ball?

The answer is no, you never overpay but the onus is on the Cowboys and frankly the issue with this team is this perception that pay is not always commensurate with performance.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this thread is based on the premise that Prescott is not a Tier 1 QB - then it absolutely is a Dak Prescott thread.

There aren't 5 quarterbacks in the league better than him right now.

And "Pigs" can fly baby...

FlyingPig.jpg

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No way to really not make this about the present QB when I am in favor of going for another, you are correct. Just didn't want to turn this into another attack/defend the QB thread.

Understandable, we have way to many of those.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And one thing about Prescott, why do you think the opposing coaches are singing his praises? Because they know the easiest sale runs the Cowboys, they want him to pay Prescott Tier 1 money. Let's see what happens if he were to test the open market. If Brady retires, think Belichick's going to pay him what he wants after his praise?

Same goes for Cooper, btw. In case, you didn't keep up with him in OAK, what you are seeing is exactly why they traded him. Inconsistency. Take it from a former DFS fantasy player, he was as hit and miss #1WR as there was.

JohnBoy

Reaction score
This teams problem are on the sidelines and the defensive side of the ball. If we dont repair that Aaron Rodgers could be under center and theyll still find ways to lose games

This offense has been WILDLY inconsistent. That Bills game was just miserable to watch - the Cowboys scored on the opening drive (see? It can be done!), to go up 7 - 0. But then they failed to score ANYTHING AT ALL until 4 minutes left in the game, and that last one was obviously a garbage-time touchdown allowance.

So I don't think we can hang this solely on the Defense and coaching. Special Teams have also been horrible this season. It's the whole enchilada.

This team is just inexplicable. For a team that has so much ostensibly going for it on paper, Dallas is somehow *less* than the sum of its parts. Is it really just coaching?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jimmy Johnson says Dak deserves to get paid, and he will probably get it.

He also says he does not believe any QB should be paid that much.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
How many resources do you throw at finding a "tier 1" QB and how and when do you determine they are a "tier 1" QB.
Is/was Goff, Wentz, Mayfield, Trubisky, Marriota, Winston, Garropolo, etc? What about guys like Rivers or Ryan, were they truly "tier 1" QBs? What if you think you have one but end up going like Bradford or Luck and they spend more time injured than playing. Draft capital to spend on those picks ain't cheap and if you won't settle for less than "tier 1" that means getting extremely lucky and/or spending a lot of draft picks and time on maybes. During that time and spending those picks, the rest of the team will suffer while we keep spending picks and the capital to make those picks on a QB, over and over again. Sounds like the Browns plan of action over the past couple of decades.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is not a Dak Prescott thread, it's just the opposite. This is about what to do instead of signing him to a long term deal.

There are some that want to tag him, pay him 30M for one season and draft a QB, I do not. The reason being you are still going to have to keep paying a lot of money to surround him with talent. I think Byron Jones is better at his position than Prescott is at his and more critical to keep. There are other options for a more affordable QB like maybe Bridgewater if Brees doesn't retire.

This team is unusual in that they have 4 OL in the top 6 paid at their position, the top paid RB and 3/4 DE and as a group they are not delivering according to their cap hits. They're not bad, just not that good.

Prescott is not bad either just not as good as the Tier 1 QBs with GB, NO and SEA and questionable whether he's as good as the one in SF. Do we want to make the same mistake that it looks like LAR and PHL have made?

It has become apparent to me that to be a true contender year after year, a team has to have that Tier 1 QB. Dak Prescott is not that guy and I think the Cowboys need to go as high as they can to get one that might be that guy and if not, go back again until they get him.

There is a chance the team has a new HC and we do not know what other changes that will bring about but maybe they do get Riley for the QB development but that would necessitate a new QB. This QB is not consistently as accurate as his last 3 QB's at OU.

Like I said, this is not about Prescott and whether he's deserving of a 35M contract, it's whether that should happen with this team and I say no for the reasons above. If this team is going to pay a QB top dollar, they need one that will not necessitate that being required of too many other players on offense. And we're looking at letting our most consistent player on the D walk to keep a QB and/or WR paid at the top tier level. This is an incomplete defense and will get worse without Jones.

OK, again, not about Prescott, this is about the idea of trying to get that future Tier 1 QB which would probably mean a couple of steps back to take some forward but steps I believe necessary to reach the destination.
Or we can see if the new HC can win with Dak. Lol

No fair getting a new HC and QB. How can we compare then ? Ha

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's about which risk are you willing to take: paying Dak and losing players around him or letting him walk and hoping you don't miss in the draft.

Don't forget Jerry tried to trade up for Lynch and Cook before settling for Dak. But is Dak really good enough?
Yep but let's not forget, Booger got outbid by a HOF QB in DEN.

No question about it, it's the trickiest part of the draft. Everyone uses Brady and Wilson as examples but they're exceptions. We had one that was an UDFA. Love him or not, he was a hell of a lot better than most of the QB's picked in that draft.

But, Jake, isn't that what this is all about? Risk? As good as Burrow looks right now and Lawrence next year and Tua in whatever year, there's still that risk factor. Hell, I remember when every analyst in the draft called it a tossup and were evenly divided between P. Manning and Leaf.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this thread is based on the premise that Prescott is not a Tier 1 QB - then it absolutely is a Dak Prescott thread.

There aren't 5 quarterbacks in the league better than him right now.
I agree, no way around that but I didn't want to debate him, just the idea of not signing him and looking for another.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
At this point, JJ's too old to pray to gamble on finding another 'diamond in the rough' at QB...especially since football teams can't even count on 1st round QBs being great (too many first round mediocre QBs to list over the last 15 years, but someone did earlier in this thread). So, JJ's going to pay him.

Dak is a work in progress, but better than most, and is a solid leader. I still believe in his abilities and his leadership acumen.

I also believe that lackluster offensive game plans and poor overall coaching is holding the entire team back.

There's very few players on defense I feel the Cowboys HAVE to keep. I'd even trade D Law if some team would give us some draft picks.

Zeke is here, so Dak and Zeke will be the foundation. Gallup too. Jarwin is probably our young TE in the making. I feel this team needs to keep drafting good offensive lineman, and WRs. Coop? He's a "nice to have", but still not sold on his hunger and passion for the game.

So, player wise, there's few that I think this team HAS to keep. Until they dump this coaching staff, this team can't make an impact in the playoffs....the overall game plans are too vanilla on both sides of the ball, and the players always seem to come out flat (and afraid to lose). A consistent recipe for coming up short.