The Superdome to be no more

munkee

Reaction score
Don't have a link, but Ted Koppel stated it would be torn down durning the FSU/Miami game earlier tonight.

CalCBFan

Reaction score
The Nightline show that aired this evening about an hour ago, interviewed a
gentleman that managed both the SD and the Convention Center. He was the
one saying the SD would have to be torn down. He referenced the roof "peeling off" and the fact that it "was still under water". (I did not realize that the SD had water in it except for leaks in the roof.) He also said a new tructure should be built to withstand a Category 5 Hurricane. I would think a new roof and inside renovation would be a lot cheaper than tearing down the existing one and
completely rebuilding. Sounds like the grafters and profiteers are already planning what to do w/ all that federal money set to pour into the city...

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
CalCBFan said:
Sounds like the grafters and profiteers are already planning what to do w/ all that federal money set to pour into the city...
Halliburton, Bechtel, and subsidiaries have probably already made some nice looking scale models of the Superdome II.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CalCBFan said:
The Nightline show that aired this evening about an hour ago, interviewed a
gentleman that managed both the SD and the Convention Center. He was the
one saying the SD would have to be torn down. He referenced the roof "peeling off" and the fact that it "was still under water". (I did not realize that the SD had water in it except for leaks in the roof.) He also said a new tructure should be built to withstand a Category 5 Hurricane. I would think a new roof and inside renovation would be a lot cheaper than tearing down the existing one and
completely rebuilding. Sounds like the grafters and profiteers are already planning what to do w/ all that federal money set to pour into the city...
thanks for the update. I was curious about whether the info had been verified or not.

As for whether it should be renovated or rebuilt. It's much cheaper to bulldoze the place and then start anew. Right now, the Superdome is a biohazard and it'll take alot of money just to clean it out from all the crud that's in there. And then you have to do repairs. It's not worth it, financially. It would just be throwing good money after bad.

lspain1

Reaction score
kmp77 said:
Evolution takes millions of years...but the people in there devolved from people to animals in a matter of hours and days...#@%! sick.

Kmp, I have a couple of comments on your statement.

1. If you were poor and could not leave or if you made a mistake and did not leave, and you needed food and water to survive you might break into a store to get it. Regardless of whether we think the government did a good job in a disaster of this magnitude it is hard for me to condemn people trying to get food and water in a very bad place. There was no plan to evacuate the large numbers of poor (and incapacitated for any number of reasons) who lived in New Orleans. There was no transportation plan and no place for them to go. There is a meaningful object lesson for all of us who live in hurricane (or other disaster) prone areas that you had better have a plan for yourself and your family because relying on the government is a dicey proposition at best

2. The people who were thugs, carrying guns and looting businesses were thugs before the hurricane ever got there. I make no excuses for them. Like all large cities in the US, New Orleans had a percentage of the population who preyed upon others for their livelihood. I have heard reports that this percentage was a bit larger in New Orleans than other cities but I doubt that had a major effect. When order broke down, these low life individuals were freed to take advantage of the circumstances to accomplish everything from theft to murder, arson, and rape.

Major relief efforts take time to organize. My questions for the local, state, and federal officials who oversee disaster planning in the US relate to where were the troops to keep order in the days immediately following the event? There was never any doubt that the New Orleans Police Dept. would be overwhelmed in a large scale event. We had SAR (search and rescue) efforts proceeding without any order in the city of New Orleans. There were a number of warning events in Louisiana preceding Katrina's arrival. Was the Nat'l Guard not activated? What additional resources were allocated to New Orleans for a flooding event? Why did communications in the New Orleans Police Dept. completely break down? Were prisoners in fact released onto the streets following the levee system breaking? I could go on and on but I'll stop now. There is plenty of blame to go around on this and I hope people get fired at a minimum. I hope there is a major investigation and lessons learned from the 1000's of deaths that resulted here.

Martice

Reaction score
kmp77 said:
Evolution takes millions of years...but the people in there devolved from people to animals in a matter of hours and days...#@%! sick.

You'd be surprised how quickly ALL people would react under similar situations. Let all of America wake up in a situation like that and watch how animal like we become. Survival is a powerful drug!

Now for the crooks, who can explain that away? Who can explain away the rapists that took advantage of the situation and preyed on innocent people. As said before, the crooks were crooks before the hurricane and it is only logical that some of the crooks remained crooks during and after the hurricane.

These are the "sick" people that many are talking about.

notherbob

Reaction score
Doesn't the NFL have the power to fine this guy for conduct unbecoming to the league? If he doesn't refund the tickets, couldn't the NFL fine him, say twice the amount of the tickets?

jman

Reaction score
notherbob said:
Doesn't the NFL have the power to fine this guy for conduct unbecoming to the league? If he doesn't refund the tickets, couldn't the NFL fine him, say twice the amount of the tickets?

If the NFL can force the sale of the 49'ers (Although to a relitive), then they can force this wack job to sell his share or all if he's the only owner, of the Saints.

Besides, doesn't this *** whipe, own several car dealerships in the New Orleans area? If so, no one will ever, nor should they, buy a car from this thief again. I guess all the looters (not those other wise honest people trying just to survive) will now have a new king.