The Tank Thread, Or: Lay Off for Goff

KB1122

Reaction score
There's going to be a big long-term decision soon for the Cowboys. That decision is whether to re-insert Romo upon his recovery and play for the division title, or tank for a high draft pick.

My head says realistically the best thing for the franchise is to lose out, get a high pick, and grab the quarterback we want - Goff, Cook, or whomever. However I also have my sentimental reasons for wanting them to keep going.

My fear is that since nobody is running away with the division, The Cowboys are going to be tempted to play for the division title. When I look at the remaining schedule, I see tough games against Green Bay, Carolina, the Jets, and at Buffalo in December. Even at full strength and full health, that's a tough schedule. The real fear I have is that we'll go 6-10 or 7-9 and get neither a high pick nor a playoff spot.

So what should the decision be?

Wood

Reaction score
Whats making this complicated is Giants nor Eagles seem to want it. I felt Dallas needed to stay around .500 during Romo absence but they are win-less during this stretch. I will label the Eagles game as absolute must win but truth is the Giants can easily lose to Bucs and Skins will lose against NE. I don't think Bradford can win this division. Maybe we need to start talking about 8-8 might win this division.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Yeah, I can see our players tanking so we can get a high draft pick who could replace them on day one. That makes sense.

We're only a loss behind on the loss column. Lucky for us the other teams in our division suck with no excuse.

robjay04

Reaction score
There's going to be a big long-term decision soon for the Cowboys. That decision is whether to re-insert Romo upon his recovery and play for the division title, or tank for a high draft pick.

My head says realistically the best thing for the franchise is to lose out, get a high pick, and grab the quarterback we want - Goff, Cook, or whomever. However I also have my sentimental reasons for wanting them to keep going.

My fear is that since nobody is running away with the division, The Cowboys are going to be tempted to play for the division title. When I look at the remaining schedule, I see tough games against Green Bay, Carolina, the Jets, and at Buffalo in December. Even at full strength and full health, that's a tough schedule. The real fear I have is that we'll go 6-10 or 7-9 and get neither a high pick nor a playoff spot.

So what should the decision be?

It isn't a decision. If our coaches and players can actually get behind the idea of tanking a season to get a high draft pick, we are in worst shape than any of us could've possibly imagined.

You don't get into the NFL because you are fine with losing games. Fact is, even though we have dropped 5 straight, we are only 1 and a half games out of the playoffs and we will have Tony Romo for 7 of our next 9 games. Worse case scenario, we are 3 games back when Romo comes back. Sure it will be tough to win the division but not unrealistic. If we beat the Eagles, we will be within 2 games of the lead with 7 to go when Romo gets back.

robjay04

Reaction score
Suck for Luck ring a bell?

They didn't suck for Luck. The Colts were a lot like us that year, they were a decent team without their QB and leader and didn't have an adequate backup plan in place.

reddyuta

Reaction score
If we lose to Philly, tank

I would never root for the Cowboys to lose but i am ok with this because this is our season next week,a team we dominated without our QB and we should be be able to do it again.My brain says that Mccalin was very good in that game and completely clogged up the middle.The golden cock will not be able to do the same.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I don't really thing there is a real concern about tanking not like they are going to win at this point anyway.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
They are still in it. I cant sit here and say tank when they're only 1.5 games out and chasing mediocre teams. With that said, the next 2 are probably must-wins.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Suck for Luck ring a bell?

But was that really an option? Manning was running the show there and didn't Luck get them in the playoffs his first year? That season they had the highest points spread against them facing the Pats and still only lost by 6. I'm talking about true tanking, not a team playing bad because they lost their starting QB, we know how that looks.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
When I hear the word Tank this is how i react. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:. Now get out of here.

bark

Reaction score
I would never ever support tanking a season. ESP this year in the NFC east.
The playoffs are all about who is playing well at the end. 8-8 might do it and we would not be a typical 8-8 team. Play on

Sydla

Reaction score
Lose next week and we are 2-6.

I don't care how bad you think the division is, this team is not making the playoffs at 2-6. It's not.