The Tank Thread, Or: Lay Off for Goff

Wrangler87

Reaction score
NFL players cannot stand rookies and could not care less about the follow years draft. Do you really think Greg Hardy is going to tank his play so that the team may be able to draft some 22 year old punk rookie QB who won't be ready to start in the NFL for three years?

RS12

Reaction score
In Matt Cassel's defense

Paxton Lynch is the guy and he'll be long gone. So will Goff. But I think Hackenberg will be there.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
If they win next two-go for the division, lose one, especially Philly and it's over....call it off for Goff!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
People want to tank so they can be like other organizations who tank every year and still suck. That will fix our problems. People think we are going to draft a Andrew Luck(who btw, sucks this year). We aren't going to be bad enough to get a 1st overall pick so why are you tanking?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Way too early to tank. Do we need to burn a 1st/2nd day pick on a QB? You betcha.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
If we lose to the Eagles and/or Bucs might as well keep Romo on the Sidelines all season. If he comes back in he'll destroy our chances of a high draft pick. He'll probably get us to 8-8...can't do that.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If we can't win even one game while Romo is out, and he's the only thing that makes this thing work, I'm afraid our team is not championship worthy. You can't win with one person. Time to rebuild.

Wood

Reaction score
Jerry is 150 years old. He is not taking a rookie QB who has to be groomed. Dallas will have learned their lesson on RB and try to land next Gurley in 1st round. I do think he will upgrade back-up QB spot.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
They didn't suck for Luck. The Colts were a lot like us that year, they were a decent team without their QB and leader and didn't have an adequate backup plan in place.

they purposefully didnt have a good backup...for that very reason

robjay04

Reaction score
they purposefully didnt have a good backup...for that very reason

Don't believe that for a second. Because of the lockout, nobody knew much about Peyton, many believed he would play, the Colts just gave him a 5 year 90 million contract before the season. There were also no free agents to speak of that season for the Colts to sign.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do teams really tank in the NFL? I know it's an NBA thing, but actually throwing games, I don't see it.

Teams do not tank. They may play some other players to see what they have, in order to help know what direction to go. But they do not tank.
Or didn't use to. As in 1988 all GB needed was to lose to the Cardinals to get the 1st over all draft pick in 1989, to select Aikman. But they won, giving us the first pick.

Now they had a QB in Makowski, and still may have selected Mandrich, leaving us Troy at #2 pick. But either way it would have been a chance to tank or not either way.

Reactions: BAZ

dallasdave

Reaction score
There's going to be a big long-term decision soon for the Cowboys. That decision is whether to re-insert Romo upon his recovery and play for the division title, or tank for a high draft pick.

My head says realistically the best thing for the franchise is to lose out, get a high pick, and grab the quarterback we want - Goff, Cook, or whomever. However I also have my sentimental reasons for wanting them to keep going.

My fear is that since nobody is running away with the division, The Cowboys are going to be tempted to play for the division title. When I look at the remaining schedule, I see tough games against Green Bay, Carolina, the Jets, and at Buffalo in December. Even at full strength and full health, that's a tough schedule. The real fear I have is that we'll go 6-10 or 7-9 and get neither a high pick nor a playoff spot.

So what should the decision be?

To Be or Not To BE ?????

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Garrett has already lost the locker room.

I don't.

I seen the team quit on Wade...this team is still full of fire and trying hard...this is nothing like what we seen under wade.

But if it continues...that is another story.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Whats making this complicated is Giants nor Eagles seem to want it. I felt Dallas needed to stay around .500 during Romo absence but they are win-less during this stretch. I will label the Eagles game as absolute must win but truth is the Giants can easily lose to Bucs and Skins will lose against NE. I don't think Bradford can win this division. Maybe we need to start talking about 8-8 might win this division.

Yep. It's really frustrating. If someone would've just taken control of the division by now, I think it would've made their job easier in terms of deciding to sit Romo, Dez, Hardy, etc. Then again, if they sat everybody worth anything, it'd be obvious we were tanking and it probably wouldn't go over so well. Most teams that go 2-14 or so actually do suck. Jury's still out on us. Plus, I really couldn't see Romo being okay with sitting on the sideline knowing he's fully capable of coming in and helping us win. Just can't see it. That might burn bridges between Romo and the organization. That being said, the fact that the division is so bad throws another wrench in things because you'd really be kicking yourself if you packed it in Week 10 only to find out that some team won the division at 7-9. If we're truly a .900 win team with Romo and a .100 team without him, then by all means, let's get Romo back as soon as possible and win this division. However, based on how poorly we played even with Romo, I don't think we're much better than a .600 team fully healthy. I don't want to be 2-7, get Romo back, then go 4-3 and still lose the division.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Don't believe that for a second. Because of the lockout, nobody knew much about Peyton, many believed he would play, the Colts just gave him a 5 year 90 million contract before the season. There were also no free agents to speak of that season for the Colts to sign.

everyone saw curtis painter play prior to this and knew he was one of the worst backups in the league.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we can't win even one game while Romo is out, and he's the only thing that makes this thing work, I'm afraid our team is not championship worthy. You can't win with one person. Time to rebuild.

Certainly at the offensive skill positions a talent influx is needed... 1st, 2nd, 3rd rounds– QB, RB and WR... not necessarily in that order.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Garrett has already lost the locker room.

Nah.

I don't see that at all.

I think if you were too quiz the players and you were looking for honest feedback they'd probably list:
-Injuries
-The dropoff at talent from the starters at QB and WR (this season) and RB (last season) to this season's starters.
-A too conservative offensive approach.