The Tank Thread, Or: Lay Off for Goff

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
Do teams really tank in the NFL? I know it's an NBA thing, but actually throwing games, I don't see it.

It's a shame because i was hoping to say this team is tanking and use that as the "EXCUSE" for how they are playing!!!!

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'd rather tank for a new head coach. I know if I played on that team, I wouldn't feel like the coach put us in the best position to win.

You'd tank for absolutely nothing then.

Garrett bought at least 3 extra years with last years success. So you tank this year you'd be doing so just to have him for at least 2 more years.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Lose next week and we are 2-6.

I don't care how bad you think the division is, this team is not making the playoffs at 2-6. It's not.

Crazier things have happened and until the math says otherwise and they have a chance they need to do anything and everything to win every game.

Reaction score
They didn't suck for Luck. The Colts were a lot like us that year, they were a decent team without their QB and leader and didn't have an adequate backup plan in place.

I think the Colts let a couple games "slip away", especially in the final weeks of the season when they were competing for that 1st pick. IMO, that's lame......we didn't tank for Aikman, we just stunk. I'm not really a college football follower, is there a QB in the draft with franchise player potential?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
There is absolutely no reason to discuss this unless you put yourself in a coaches shoes.

Reality is, we won't be tanking the season. Romo isn't going to sit. Anyone who thinks Romo will accept the bench because a coach wants to tank has lost their damn mind.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I think the Colts let a couple games "slip away", especially in the final weeks of the season when they were competing for that 1st pick. IMO, that's lame......we didn't tank for Aikman, we just stunk. I'm not really a college football follower, is there a QB in the draft with franchise player potential?

No, and don't let anyone here claim there is.

There is no Luck in this draft, just a bunch of Bortles.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Losers mentality ....... they expect the players to play hard and never give up ...... but certain fans they give up half way through the year.

Pathetic.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Suck for Luck ring a bell?

I still don't think they were tanking.

Peyton's Colts teams were often dreadful and I think he made a guy like Reggie Wayne from a pretty good WR to a future HoF'er. But his defenses in Indy were dreadful. They caught fire at the end of '06 and that's why they won a Super Bowl.

And like us, the dropoff in talent to the backup QB for the Colts we enormous.

I think that by nature, football is just different from basketball. Tanking would be to not play Romo and Dez for the rest of the year and maybe sit out somebody like Witten as well. But, IMO that time is valuable because it's very easy to get rusty and never quite get your skill back if you take too long of a break in football. In basketball it's easier because practice is more designed along the lines of what you do in actual games.

Just my .02

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
And what about Paxton Lynch?

Cinch for Lynch?

Get pinched for Lynch?

Throw your season in a ditch for Lynch?

YR

Aven8

Reaction score
With 9 games left?? Hell no. I want to be entertained here this fall!

tyke1doe

Reaction score
There won't be any tanking. Wherever we are in the draft, we'll pick a good player - based on our past strategy and success.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
What year are some people stuck in where they think a high 1st round drafted QB sits anymore? Wasting a high 1st on a player who, if all goes well, won't play for years, and when we have one of the top QB's in the game, is absurd to me.

Romo's heir can be drafted when he hangs them up.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
There is absolutely no reason to discuss this unless you put yourself in a coaches shoes.

Reality is, we won't be tanking the season. Romo isn't going to sit. Anyone who thinks Romo will accept the bench because a coach wants to tank has lost their damn mind.

This. Are there really people that think Romo would allow himself to sit out the second half of the season when healthy, or that the team would do that? I mean, do people think these things through before posting?

Deep_South

Reaction score
I remember years ago one of the coaches saying something like, "Tony Romo is they kind of guy who when walking with him down the hall to lunch will bet you he can beat you to the door."

Tony isn't going to be trying to lose or agree to sit on the sideline while he can play. It's just not the way he rolls.

Hailmary

Reaction score
I think you only tank when you are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Considering how bad this division is and how much improved we'll be once Romo returns, the thought of tanking shouldn't even enter our minds. If however, we do get eliminated, then I wouldn't be opposed to mixing up the personnel and see what Moore can do under center, what CMike can do carrying the ball 30 times a game. Maybe see if Green can return and play some RT for us. Maybe give Collins some reps at RT also. See what B.Jones can do on an island or let him make defensive calls playing FS. Give David Irving more PT. Call up some guys from the PS. Raid other teams PS....etc, etc....

I guess playing a bunch of backups can be considered tanking, but if we're out of contention already, then you could also consider it evaluating your roster in order to better prepare for the draft and for the future.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Do teams really tank in the NFL? I know it's an NBA thing, but actually throwing games, I don't see it.

All we have to do to tank it is not play Romo and let Garrett keep coaching

Reactions: BAZ

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
There's going to be a big long-term decision soon for the Cowboys. That decision is whether to re-insert Romo upon his recovery and play for the division title, or tank for a high draft pick.

My head says realistically the best thing for the franchise is to lose out, get a high pick, and grab the quarterback we want - Goff, Cook, or whomever. However I also have my sentimental reasons for wanting them to keep going.

My fear is that since nobody is running away with the division, The Cowboys are going to be tempted to play for the division title. When I look at the remaining schedule, I see tough games against Green Bay, Carolina, the Jets, and at Buffalo in December. Even at full strength and full health, that's a tough schedule. The real fear I have is that we'll go 6-10 or 7-9 and get neither a high pick nor a playoff spot.

So what should the decision be?

Get ready for 6-10.

robjay04

Reaction score

Even if we "tanked"

I seriously doubt we would spend a top 5 pick on QB. We would then be in a situation similar to the one the Colts were in when they drafted Luck. We would have to consider cutting ties with Romo but due to Romo's contract, we would eat a ton of dead money in the next two years if we let him go due to his most recent restructure.

If we had a top 5 pick, I would suspect a trade down, a defensive player or maybe even a WR. I would be completely open to spending a high pick on receiver considering what we have behind Dez.