Zordon

Reaction score
Realistic changes:

1. Replace linehan and Marinelli

2. Retire release Witten

3. Have a good draft

That is all we can wish for.
Releasing Witten is realistic? Lol

It's like some of you guys don't realize what Witten and Dez mean to this franchise marketing wise.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
We have a lot of young talent on the team and we have an NFL caliber quarterback. He isn't Tom Brady, but he has all the tools to be an above average NFL QB. It is clear that we need a change in coaching. The greatest coaches in the world adjust their schemes to fit their players. Wade Phillips and Bill Belichick are good examples.

Step 1: Replace the entire coaching staff.

This is pretty obvious. I would like to do something similar to what the Rams did. Hire a successful offensive minded coach and bring in an experienced defensive coordinator who has been successful recently in the NFL.

HC: Not sure. Lots of candidates. Maybe someone like Pete Carmichael from New Orleans.
DC: I like James Bettcher from the Cards. He might be available after Arians leaves.

Step 2: Offensive changes.

• Cut Dez Bryant. He simple isn't worth his price tag.
  • Develop Beasley and Switzer.
  • Draft/Acquire a possession receiver who is a master route runner. I like Jarvis Landry.
  • Keep T. Will.
  • Cut/Retire Jason Witten. I love the guy to death, but he doesn't do a whole lot for us anymore.
  • Draft/Acquire a receiving tight end. Troy Fumagalli? He's got great hands and is a good route runner, and is a serviceable blocker.
  • Draft/Acquire some better depth players on the offensive line. They should be able to find a better backup swing tackle on the open market.
I think the offense will be fine in the hands of someone who is more creative and caters to the strength of the team, which should be crisp route running and short to intermediate routes. I know people really want a burner, but I don't think that is necessary if the scheme is executed properly. Williams and Landry have big play potential.

Step 3: Defensive changes.

• Franchise DLaw. I want to see him prove it before we commit long term, but I don't want to let him get away.
  • Draft/Acquire a legit NT/1 tech. This depends on the scheme we are running, but nearly every scheme requires a space eater on the defensive line. This will help keep our LBs clean.
  • Draft/Acquire 2-3 linebackers. This is a big problem on the team. Smith is improving, but is still a wild card. Hitchens is a good player, and Sean Lee can't be relied upon. Easier said than done, I guess.
  • Draft/Acquire 2 safeties. It is clear that Heath isn't a starting NFL safety. Byron Jones is OK and I think a scheme change would help cater to his strengths. There isn't a lot of depth behind these guys, which is also concerning. I wouldn't mind paying a guy like Morgan Burnett.
I think we are extremely weak up the middle and are fine on the outside. If we can get a solid 1 tech/NT, and get at least 1 starting caliber linebacker and safety in free agency or the draft, we can field an OK defensive. This team needs a lot of work on fundamentals, like angles, form tackling, and ball awareness.

There are multiple teams that have proven you can turn it around fairly quickly. I think this is a reasonable plan.

On defense i think we need to go with a guy like Chuck Pagano once he gets let go from the Colts... Older runs a flex defense might not be looking to jump ship for HC job again.

Love the HC idea tho smart been with payton along time similar scheme verbiage... i'd like to add in for QB/OC Art Briles add some of that RPO stuff from College the kids are doing these days.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
On defense i think we need to go with a guy like Chuck Pagano once he gets let go from the Colts... Older runs a flex defense might not be looking to jump ship for HC job again.

Love the HC idea tho smart been with payton along time similar scheme verbiage... i'd like to add in for QB/OC Art Briles add some of that RPO stuff from College the kids are doing these days.
I can't remember for sure because my memory is the second shortest thing I have but isn't Pagano the one that got his panties in a wad a few years back with Jim Harbaugh after a game? I might be wrong on this though.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
WR, LB, and S are clearly the biggest needs on the team. After that, CB and DT are next. As has been the refrain for what feels like a decade, we need to go heavy on defense in early round picks in the next 2-3 drafts. We've got to try to find at least one day 1 starter on defense in the first round, and put bandaids on the other positions in free agency (or hope for quick development out of the current rookies by next year)

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I think a lot of it rests with Dak. I don't think he's terrible. He's shown that you can probably win a Super Bowl with him if you surround him with all the right pieces, but he'll probably never be someone who can carry a bad team on his back. The problem is it's very difficult to consistently keep an excellent team that's deep at every position. There are gonna be years when you lose someone to injury or free agency and you're stuck with a mediocre O-line or receiving corps or run game. You can't derail and become the worst team in the league every time something doesn't go according to plan.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
I can't remember for sure because my memory is the second shortest thing I have but isn't Pagano the one that got his panties in a wad a few years back with Jim Harbaugh after a game? I might be wrong on this though.

i think your thinking of his younger brother former DC of the SD/LA Chargers. Chuck is older one that had cancer and beat it. Arians and Team Rallied around him that year.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
Realistic changes:

1. Replace linehan and Marinelli

2. Retire release Witten

3. Have a good draft

That is all we can wish for.

realistically this is probably gona happen. and garrett will go on to waste zekes prime years and half of daks career.

JDSmith

Reaction score
That’s it guys and girls. All we have to do is replace the entire coaching staff and most of the players on the team and we are set for the Super Bowl

And ownership.

But if we get those 3 areas squared away it's nothing but smooth sailing from there.

BigD5

Reaction score
In all seriousness though, y’all quit being so down on the players. We really do have some good young talent to build around.

Most of the team is under 30. Only Witten, Lee and Durant are over 30?

But in today’s NFL with salary caps and roster restrictions it’s impossible for ANY team to build a complete roster. The difference in whoever you believe to be the best team and the worst team in the league is about 4 or 5 players. And sometimes the difference is just one, a great QB

The talent level is fairly equal amongst all teams now. So in order to be successful you have to out scheme and out coach other teams.

And our players don’t get any help from this coaching staff whatsoever and the result is what we’ve seen. Cause on talent alone, if there is any seperation among teams I’d put Dallas towards the top in that regard. And possibly second to last in coaching behind Cleveland

erod

Reaction score
If this quarterback isn't the real deal, all hope is lost for years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have a lot of young talent on the team and we have an NFL caliber quarterback. He isn't Tom Brady, but he has all the tools to be an above average NFL QB. It is clear that we need a change in coaching. The greatest coaches in the world adjust their schemes to fit their players. Wade Phillips and Bill Belichick are good examples.

This is pretty obvious. I would like to do something similar to what the Rams did. Hire a successful offensive minded coach and bring in an experienced defensive coordinator who has been successful recently in the NFL.

HC: Not sure. Lots of candidates. Maybe someone like Pete Carmichael from New Orleans.
DC: I like James Bettcher from the Cards. He might be available after Arians leaves.

• Draft/Acquire a possession receiver who is a master route runner. I like Jarvis Landry.
  • Keep T. Will.
  • Cut/Retire Jason Witten. I love the guy to death, but he doesn't do a whole lot for us anymore.
  • Draft/Acquire a receiving tight end. Troy Fumagalli? He's got great hands and is a good route runner, and is a serviceable blocker.
  • Draft/Acquire some better depth players on the offensive line. They should be able to find a better backup swing tackle on the open market.
I think the offense will be fine in the hands of someone who is more creative and caters to the strength of the team, which should be crisp route running and short to intermediate routes. I know people really want a burner, but I don't think that is necessary if the scheme is executed properly. Williams and Landry have big play potential.

• Franchise DLaw. I want to see him prove it before we commit long term, but I don't want to let him get away.
  • Draft/Acquire a legit NT/1 tech. This depends on the scheme we are running, but nearly every scheme requires a space eater on the defensive line. This will help keep our LBs clean.
  • Draft/Acquire 2-3 linebackers. This is a big problem on the team. Smith is improving, but is still a wild card. Hitchens is a good player, and Sean Lee can't be relied upon. Easier said than done, I guess.
  • Draft/Acquire 2 safeties. It is clear that Heath isn't a starting NFL safety. Byron Jones is OK and I think a scheme change would help cater to his strengths. There isn't a lot of depth behind these guys, which is also concerning. I wouldn't mind paying a guy like Morgan Burnett.
I think we are extremely weak up the middle and are fine on the outside. If we can get a solid 1 tech/NT, and get at least 1 starting caliber linebacker and safety in free agency or the draft, we can field an OK defensive. This team needs a lot of work on fundamentals, like angles, form tackling, and ball awareness.

There are multiple teams that have proven you can turn it around fairly quickly. I think this is a reasonable plan.

Awesome stuff, I really appreciate the time and thought you put into it.

And for the record, you had me at "replace the entire coaching staff"!

:thumbup:

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I don't know about the poised part. I know they better work twice as hard as everyone else in the NFL because in Cowboy land there are twice as many obstacles to overcome for a SB victory these days, or maybe that's always been the case. Either way they got to put in more personal or group training during the offseason. Go running miles in all different climates and landscapes, expensive yes, but you only play one career in the NFL, it's now or never for these players.

The owner or coaches won't bring this team to glory so if the players want glory their going to have to do it on their own somehow. Not a easy task. Best of luck.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

• Keep T. Will.