The team is poised to be a contender next year

vaturkey

Reaction score
Well, we will have a 3rd place NFC East schedule next year. That should give us a couple more wins I'm thinking. Agree Garret has to go. Watch how the new coach of the Ram's works with his players during the game. There is something special there that I don't see here.

rags747

Reaction score
If this quarterback isn't the real deal, all hope is lost for years.
And that is exactly why everyone is so upset. Last year Dak was a top QB in the league, this year starting with the 1st Giants game he has not been as good. Maybe we should trade up for Baker Mayfield if Dak finishes out the way the past three games have gone for him.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I was enjoying your post until you said "Keep Twill". Why on earth should we do that? He can't catch with his hands. He shouldn't even be out there, this is something our coaches aren't smart enough to address.

He's a good #2 option. He has been clutch in the past and although he's had some mental breakdowns this year, he can stretch the field and is the best run after catch option we have.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
He's a good #2 option. He has been clutch in the past and although he's had some mental breakdowns this year, he can stretch the field and is the best run after catch option we have.

I'm sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about and neither does our coaches. He is WORTHLESS. Can't catch with his hands and is a dumb player.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
The Cowboys might have a good regular season, but they're not poised to be a contender. We've seen the same old song you're singing for 22 years running.

There's no chance of winning big games come January when your coach is Jason Garrett. There's no chance to build the necessary balanced roster to win a Super Bowl when your team is ran by Jerry Jones. As long as those 2 things are in place, the Cowboys aren't contender next year, nor any year thereafter.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Well, we will have a 3rd place NFC East schedule next year.

If you pay attention to trends, it is just as likely that 2nd or 3rd place divisional finishers are just as likely to be next year's "best".

The days where a team dominates a division for years and years are over. So drawing a "first place schedule" is not that big of a deal.

The strength of schedule for divisional winners is not any harder than anyone else's since the league is so diluted and reactive.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I'm sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about and neither does our coaches. He is WORTHLESS. Can't catch with his hands and is a dumb player.
Yes, yes, please continue.

Your anger about our worthless number two WR is a distraction to the real issues.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Would I be wrong to assume you mean "poised" ironically given the substantial changes you recommend?

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was about to abuse you, then I saw step 1 and you completely redeemed yourself!!

We have a lot of young talent on the team and we have an NFL caliber quarterback. He isn't Tom Brady, but he has all the tools to be an above average NFL QB. It is clear that we need a change in coaching. The greatest coaches in the world adjust their schemes to fit their players. Wade Phillips and Bill Belichick are good examples.

Step 1: Replace the entire coaching staff.

This is pretty obvious. I would like to do something similar to what the Rams did. Hire a successful offensive minded coach and bring in an experienced defensive coordinator who has been successful recently in the NFL.

HC: Not sure. Lots of candidates. Maybe someone like Pete Carmichael from New Orleans.
DC: I like James Bettcher from the Cards. He might be available after Arians leaves.

Step 2: Offensive changes.

• Cut Dez Bryant. He simple isn't worth his price tag.
  • Develop Beasley and Switzer.
  • Draft/Acquire a possession receiver who is a master route runner. I like Jarvis Landry.
  • Keep T. Will.
  • Cut/Retire Jason Witten. I love the guy to death, but he doesn't do a whole lot for us anymore.
  • Draft/Acquire a receiving tight end. Troy Fumagalli? He's got great hands and is a good route runner, and is a serviceable blocker.
  • Draft/Acquire some better depth players on the offensive line. They should be able to find a better backup swing tackle on the open market.
I think the offense will be fine in the hands of someone who is more creative and caters to the strength of the team, which should be crisp route running and short to intermediate routes. I know people really want a burner, but I don't think that is necessary if the scheme is executed properly. Williams and Landry have big play potential.

Step 3: Defensive changes.

• Franchise DLaw. I want to see him prove it before we commit long term, but I don't want to let him get away.
  • Draft/Acquire a legit NT/1 tech. This depends on the scheme we are running, but nearly every scheme requires a space eater on the defensive line. This will help keep our LBs clean.
  • Draft/Acquire 2-3 linebackers. This is a big problem on the team. Smith is improving, but is still a wild card. Hitchens is a good player, and Sean Lee can't be relied upon. Easier said than done, I guess.
  • Draft/Acquire 2 safeties. It is clear that Heath isn't a starting NFL safety. Byron Jones is OK and I think a scheme change would help cater to his strengths. There isn't a lot of depth behind these guys, which is also concerning. I wouldn't mind paying a guy like Morgan Burnett.
I think we are extremely weak up the middle and are fine on the outside. If we can get a solid 1 tech/NT, and get at least 1 starting caliber linebacker and safety in free agency or the draft, we can field an OK defensive. This team needs a lot of work on fundamentals, like angles, form tackling, and ball awareness.

There are multiple teams that have proven you can turn it around fairly quickly. I think this is a reasonable plan.

Wood

Reaction score
We have a lot of young talent on the team and we have an NFL caliber quarterback. He isn't Tom Brady, but he has all the tools to be an above average NFL QB. It is clear that we need a change in coaching. The greatest coaches in the world adjust their schemes to fit their players. Wade Phillips and Bill Belichick are good examples.

This is pretty obvious. I would like to do something similar to what the Rams did. Hire a successful offensive minded coach and bring in an experienced defensive coordinator who has been successful recently in the NFL.

HC: Not sure. Lots of candidates. Maybe someone like Pete Carmichael from New Orleans.
DC: I like James Bettcher from the Cards. He might be available after Arians leaves.

• Draft/Acquire a possession receiver who is a master route runner. I like Jarvis Landry.
  • Keep T. Will.
  • Cut/Retire Jason Witten. I love the guy to death, but he doesn't do a whole lot for us anymore.
  • Draft/Acquire a receiving tight end. Troy Fumagalli? He's got great hands and is a good route runner, and is a serviceable blocker.
  • Draft/Acquire some better depth players on the offensive line. They should be able to find a better backup swing tackle on the open market.
I think the offense will be fine in the hands of someone who is more creative and caters to the strength of the team, which should be crisp route running and short to intermediate routes. I know people really want a burner, but I don't think that is necessary if the scheme is executed properly. Williams and Landry have big play potential.

• Franchise DLaw. I want to see him prove it before we commit long term, but I don't want to let him get away.
  • Draft/Acquire a legit NT/1 tech. This depends on the scheme we are running, but nearly every scheme requires a space eater on the defensive line. This will help keep our LBs clean.
  • Draft/Acquire 2-3 linebackers. This is a big problem on the team. Smith is improving, but is still a wild card. Hitchens is a good player, and Sean Lee can't be relied upon. Easier said than done, I guess.
  • Draft/Acquire 2 safeties. It is clear that Heath isn't a starting NFL safety. Byron Jones is OK and I think a scheme change would help cater to his strengths. There isn't a lot of depth behind these guys, which is also concerning. I wouldn't mind paying a guy like Morgan Burnett.
I think we are extremely weak up the middle and are fine on the outside. If we can get a solid 1 tech/NT, and get at least 1 starting caliber linebacker and safety in free agency or the draft, we can field an OK defensive. This team needs a lot of work on fundamentals, like angles, form tackling, and ball awareness.

There are multiple teams that have proven you can turn it around fairly quickly. I think this is a reasonable plan.

I agree with one conditions: If they make run for Drew Brees.

Skillit

Reaction score
It’s like a Bermuda Triangle thing....

1- A coach who can’t adjust or deviate as circumstances develop.......a system/ process guy who adheres to his systems/processes like religion (but it’s kept him his job and he’s barely a .500 coach)

2- The center of the O AND the center of the D......throw in the all pro LT are all gone

3- a GM who would rather rule with impunity than hire and then empower a coach who would hold players accountable and set a culture around here

Put these 3 together and you get the worst stretch of football ever.

IMHO— it gets worse before it gets better.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Well, we will have a 3rd place NFC East schedule next year. That should give us a couple more wins I'm thinking. Agree Garret has to go. Watch how the new coach of the Ram's works with his players during the game. There is something special there that I don't see here.

Green Bay is also likely to finish 3rd.

Last edited:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
There's plenty of teams in the NFL with mounting injuries that are still competitive. This is more damning of Garrett than anything, IMO.
Didn't the Packers make the Super Bowl with a banged-up team?

rpntex

Reaction score
I believe we'd be okay with the same coaching staff (minus Marinelli) if we address the depth issues at OT, LB, and in the secondary, and add a veteran CB or safety (a little glue to hold the secondary together). Garrett needs to lose the "next man up" mantra, as it just doesn't work that way. If the backups were on the same talent level as the starters, they wouldn't be backups in Dallas, but starting elsewhere. Garrett/Linehan need to adjust the game plan to fit the capabilities of the backups when they are forced to play.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

• Keep T. Will.

Jolly good post, mullet chap!
Lots of good material.
You're a good lad!