The Truth seems to be really hard for people to understand and/or accept

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
You're great at deflecting questions, I'll give you that... but again, do you think Dilpher and Foles are better than the quarterbacks who've never won a Superbowl like Marino, Moon, McNair and Kelly???

Because you're obviously grading Daks worth on winning Superbowls so just answer the easy question since you believe every quarterback who's won a Superbowl is a measuring stick.

You're making a false assumption that I'm grading Dak's worth on winning Super Bowls.

I'm grading Dak's worth on his inability to throw receivers open, anticipate routes, decipher disguised coverages, and be consistently accurate with ball placement.

I'm not down on Dak because he hasn't won a Superbowl. I'm down on Dak because I believe the shortcomings I listed above make him incapable of winning a Superbowl.

Holding your breath on Dak being the next Trent Dilfer or Nick Foles is the equivalent to buying that power ball ticket. Realizing he isn't the guy and continuing to search for someone who is is the equivalent to investing in a 401k.

cmoney23

Reaction score
With that said...Dak was below average Sunday. Needed a "B+" from him...and we got a "C-"
I struggle in assessing his performance on Sunday... but I'd generally agree. He wasn't on top of his game.

We struggled though. Too many penalties. Stupid mistakes.
I thought Dak made some big-time throws down the stretch and Romo touched on a few. But, I don't think there is a team in the NFL that can overcome all the penalties we had against that level of team.

dckid

Reaction score
In our current day and age, the Truth seems to be really hard for people to understand and/or accept. I'd like to share with you some truth.

Football is a team game. Some call it the ultimate team game. The media and internet 'experts' try to oversimplify it and tell you that it's the QB... But it's not on him individually. It is one of the most important positions but it's not the key metric to team success. Fantasy football has also helped perpetuate this belief.

I'll give you a couple of examples:
Aaron Rodgers is largely believed to be one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game. He has ONE super bowl on his resume with a lot of playoff failures.
Patrick Mahomes. Often considered the next coming of football Jesus... has struggled mightily when things aren't perfect around him, including the last SuperBowl and an ~8 game stretch this season where the Chiefs had to go way back to the basics and sort of 'reset' their offense around running the ball and fundamentals.
Justin Herbert. Another second coming... missed the playoffs once again.

You might read that and think I'm now blaming those QBs for a lack of success. I'm not. They are examples of GREAT QBs in different stages of their careers that are struggling or have struggled.

The Chiefs got going because the DEFENSE became dominant and they committed to running the ball. Green Bay's big coaching change really just was a coach that committed to the run game. Look at the Rams. They run the ball they win. Stafford had 8 passes at half vs the Cards.

The truth is... Dak is a top 10 QB in this league. The team failed to execute (penalties). The coaches failed to develop consistent game plans that WON football games. They failed to rest injured players and exploit advantages The FO failed to address key position groups. And, at times, Dak failed too. But it's the team.
Here is my truth thread from this morning.
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/truth-that-fans-need-to-accept.492540/page-4#post-11677141

ScalperX

Reaction score
People miss the point. We could get a similar level of production as Prescott from a 1st or 2nd round rookie and save on average $35 million a year and build a stronger team.

This is another fantasy. What makes you think you're going to get a 1st or 2nd round rookie that will have similar production as Prescott? What if we end up with a Zach Wilson, or a Daniel Jones, or a Sam Darnold. What if we gave up multiple picks to move up in the first round to get one of those turds? You can forget about building a stronger team through the draft for a couple years. Plus 2 to 3 years to see if they are worth a damn. Then 3 - 4 years later we start the process all over again when this Dak clone doesn't work out.

Swagger

Reaction score
This is another fantasy. What makes you think you're going to get a 1st or 2nd round rookie that will have similar production as Prescott? What if we end up with a Zach Wilson, or a Daniel Jones, or a Sam Darnold. What if we gave up multiple picks to move up in the first round to get one of those turds? You can forget about building a stronger team through the draft for a couple years. Plus 2 to 3 years to see if they are worth a damn. Then 3 - 4 years later we start the process all over again when this Dak clone doesn't work out.
Far too early to write off Wilson. Darnold could have similar production to Prescott in this offense. We just don't know as he has only bad on bad offenses. Jones...fair enough.

Flip side of the coin is if Prescott had been drafted by the Jets them he would be driving a truck or mowing a lawn by now...i.e. out of the league. No other QB coming into the league since '16 has had as much around them as Prescott.

Last edited:

Swagger

Reaction score
Prescott has finished his 6th season in the NFL. He still struggles to read a defensive coverage within a reasonable time expected of a starting QB, progress through his reads and consistently rip the ball into fairly tight windows, throw receivers open and generally make the right decision with or without any duress. People still blame the calf injury...last time I checked my calf wasn't attached to my brain...

ScalperX

Reaction score
You're making a false assumption that I'm grading Dak's worth on winning Super Bowls.

I'm grading Dak's worth on his inability to throw receivers open, anticipate routes, decipher disguised coverages, and be consistently accurate with ball placement.

I'm not down on Dak because he hasn't won a Superbowl. I'm down on Dak because I believe the shortcomings I listed above make him incapable of winning a Superbowl.

Holding your breath on Dak being the next Trent Dilfer or Nick Foles is the equivalent to buying that power ball ticket. Realizing he isn't the guy and continuing to search for someone who is is the equivalent to investing in a 401k.

Isn't holding your breath on Dak being the next Trent Dilfer or Nick Foles the same as holding your breath hoping we land an elite QB? No matter what you will have to build a strong team around an above average QB. Elite QBs don't come around that often and usually require trading the farm to get.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
Isn't holding your breath on Dak being the next Trent Dilfer or Nick Foles the same as holding your breath hoping we land an elite QB? No matter what you will have to build a strong team around an above average QB. Elite QBs don't come around that often and usually require trading the farm to get.

I'd do Dak, two 1sts and a 3rd for a bonafide top 7 QB like the Rams did for Stafford. If that's the farm then take my overalls and call me a city slicker.

Scotman

Reaction score
I don't hate Dak. I've been solidly in his court for some time (even though I always said the contract was a mistake). But, Dak didn't do what Dak could have done to win this last playoff game. Maybe others didn't do what they could do. You could make that argument. That said, I expected Dak to be a catalyst for winning. I don't care where he ranks currently. 10th? 5th? Top 3? I don't care. I'm tired of losing and he wasn't enough to make sure that we didn't. If it was going to take heroics on his part, that's what I wanted to see.

I've listened to all the naysayers and it has grown old. It really has. The constant negativity is mind numbing. But the reality is that Dak didn't do enough for me to tell them without a doubt that they are wrong. I still hope they are wrong...but they don't look wrong right now. Right now we are sitting at home again and Dak isn't the reason we are still playing.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
KC had a their own Dak who led them to 10-6 and a wildcard loss. They made a change and were a neutral zone infraction away from going to the SB in year 1. With a defense ranked 31st in yards and 24th in points.

Tampa had a top 3 offense, #1 in passing yards. They went 7-9 because the QB threw 32 interceptions. They made a change and won the SB with essentially the same defense.

The Rams made the decision to get rid of the QB of their recent SB team to go with a guy who just won his first playoff game. We'll see how that turns out but it at least shows how important they think the position is.

You either have a difference maker at QB or you don't. If you don't, you should be trying to find one.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In our current day and age, the Truth seems to be really hard for people to understand and/or accept. I'd like to share with you some truth.

Football is a team game. Some call it the ultimate team game. The media and internet 'experts' try to oversimplify it and tell you that it's the QB... But it's not on him individually. It is one of the most important positions but it's not the key metric to team success. Fantasy football has also helped perpetuate this belief.

I'll give you a couple of examples:
Aaron Rodgers is largely believed to be one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game. He has ONE super bowl on his resume with a lot of playoff failures.
Patrick Mahomes. Often considered the next coming of football Jesus... has struggled mightily when things aren't perfect around him, including the last SuperBowl and an ~8 game stretch this season where the Chiefs had to go way back to the basics and sort of 'reset' their offense around running the ball and fundamentals.
Justin Herbert. Another second coming... missed the playoffs once again.

You might read that and think I'm now blaming those QBs for a lack of success. I'm not. They are examples of GREAT QBs in different stages of their careers that are struggling or have struggled.

The Chiefs got going because the DEFENSE became dominant and they committed to running the ball. Green Bay's big coaching change really just was a coach that committed to the run game. Look at the Rams. They run the ball they win. Stafford had 8 passes at half vs the Cards.

The truth is... Dak is a top 10 QB in this league. The team failed to execute (penalties). The coaches failed to develop consistent game plans that WON football games. They failed to rest injured players and exploit advantages The FO failed to address key position groups. And, at times, Dak failed too. But it's the team.

"The truth".....

so YOU are the arbiter of "truth" eh?

Anything you don't agree with you can dismiss as NOT truth?

Welll thank GOD we have you. You have cured cancer, built space ships to Mars. Solved Obesity and starvation!

If anyone truly knows truth well by God it's YOU!

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Stop comparing Dak to QBs who have won things.

It’s only a team sport when the QB isn’t that good.

The teams with the best QBs win more times than not.

Joe Burrow went to one of the worst organizations in not only football but all of sports and he’s 1 game away from a AFC title game behind one of the worst Olines in football.

It’s a QB driven league and it’s not an accident our guy has 1 playoff wildcard win in 6 seasons. He’s just not that good.

bull****. It is always a team game and that doesn’t exonerate dak from criticism. It’s always always always a team game- Marino zero rings. Manning 2. Rodgers only 1. Alternately Trent dilfer has a ring. Flacco has a ring. Nick foles has a ring. Sure, teams with great quarterbacks win more often then not- but it takes TEAMS to win super bowls.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
bull****. It is always a team game and that doesn’t exonerate dak from criticism. It’s always always always a team game- Marino zero rings. Manning 2. Rodgers only 1. Alternately Trent dilfer has a ring. Flacco has a ring. Nick foles has a ring. Sure, teams with great quarterbacks win more often then not- but it takes TEAMS to win super bowls.

Nah.. If we had a legit QB we would still be playing. Might have had the 1 seed and it would’ve never been a worry.

Instead we have a mediocre QB that goes into a shell when the tough gets going. It’s just what he does. Sorry.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't hate Dak. I've been solidly in his court for some time (even though I always said the contract was a mistake). But, Dak didn't do what Dak could have done to win this last playoff game. Maybe others didn't do what they could do. You could make that argument. That said, I expected Dak to be a catalyst for winning. I don't care where he ranks currently. 10th? 5th? Top 3? I don't care. I'm tired of losing and he wasn't enough to make sure that we didn't. If it was going to take heroics on his part, that's what I wanted to see.

I've listened to all the naysayers and it has grown old. It really has. The constant negativity is mind numbing. But the reality is that Dak didn't do enough for me to tell them without a doubt that they are wrong. I still hope they are wrong...but they don't look wrong right now. Right now we are sitting at home again and Dak isn't the reason we are still playing.

Dak’s going into year 7 and he’s done squat in the playoffs.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Nah.. If we had a legit QB we would still be playing. Might have had the 1 seed and it would’ve never been a worry.

Instead we have a mediocre QB that goes into a shell when the tough gets going. It’s just what he does. Sorry.

Your point is wrong. It’s always a team game. That is true whether we are talking about dak or the other quarterbacks mentioned. You bring absolutely nothing to the table when confronted with fact. Dak deserves all the criticism he can get but that doesn’t make football not a team game.

Sorry.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Your point is wrong. It’s always a team game. That is true whether we are talking about dak or the other quarterbacks mentioned. You bring absolutely nothing to the table when confronted with fact. Dak deserves all the criticism he can get but that doesn’t make football not a team game.

Sorry.

It’s a quarterback game.

Take Aaron Rodgers off the Packers and put him on the Lions and put Jared Goff on the Packers and the Packers are fighting for last place and the Lions would be winning the division with ease.

It’s all about the QB. The NFL has built a league that’s based on parity where most teams are similar. QB is what gives teams advantages.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
It’s a quarterback game.

Take Aaron Rodgers off the Packers and put him on the Lions and put Jared Goff on the Packers and the Packers are fighting for last place and the Lions would be winning the division with ease.

It’s all about the QB. The NFL has built a league that’s based on parity where most teams are similar. QB is what gives teams advantages.

if you wanna talk about winning games that mean jack ****. Dak wins games. Dak dominates a division- to win a super bowl it takes a team. A team. Parity in the nfl is a lie. It’s a parity based league in the sense that a 5 win team may win 11 the next season but very rarely do teams come out of nowhere and win the super bowl.

Great Quarterbacks can win games. Great teams win super bowls huge difference but again winning games doesn’t matter by your own words - it’s about deep playoff runs and rings. Not regular season game. U can’t have it both ways.