The Tua Hits

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Last week

Tonight

Looks like another concussion to me. Felt like the NFL had made a lot of progress on preventing these but definitely brings it all back.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Taken with a grain of salt, but somebody on Twitter mentioned that this looks like what's called decorticate posturing and could be life threatening. A Google search revealed that his hand posturing and body/limb positioning looks textbook. This is terrifyingly scary and I'm kinda sick to my stomach after watching this. Prayers sent and hope he's ok. Miami has some serious explaining to do. Just horrible.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Wow I got chills watching this. It sickens me how this was allowed to happen. God I hope he's alright.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Failure of the protocol. That stuff his hands were doing are a clear sign of brain trauma.

This wasn't a massive hit. He was already messed up. Fins made this so much worse by playing him

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Latest tweet i just saw was:

"QB Tua Tagovailoa is expected to be discharged from the University of Cincinnati Medical Center and will fly home with the team tonight."

Fantastic news!! Let's hope the Dolphins franchise does better due diligence this round in determining his health/safety before he sees a field again. I won't pretend to be a doctor, but that looked bad tonight. Who knows how many more hits he is away from having more serious issues?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
**** like this infuriates me.

At the end of the day, football is a game. He should not be out there on the field after clearly suffering a head injury mere days ago. Second impact syndrome is extremely serious.

Exactly, and it begs the question about how much money changed hands for him to be sent back in

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I'd sit the rest of the season if I were him. That wasn't a huge hit and the result was very scary.

Aftershock

Reaction score
Ufc fighters take 6 month - 1 year break from knockouts like that (the second one)

Redline360

Reaction score
Dolphins should have not let him play regardless of what the independent doctor said. Money had to exchange hands. Obvious to anyone that was no back/ankle injury the week prior.

Glad he's doing ok per the latest report but this is something that catches up to you later in life.

If I was him I'm sitting the rest of the season. Not putting my life in jeapody

Rayman70

Reaction score
Talking from my own experience, we have a son that was concussed 2 games in a row as well. This was in Highschool about 5 years back. We...HE...and the head doctor, decided unanimously that it would be best if he quit the sport immediately. He is 6-3 and 250 LBs btw. He was a RT. Some are just more apt to get the head injuries. Its just the facts. The NFL is brutal and that can never be changed unless they make a rule that turns it into flag football. Every level of the sport can be brutal. My kid is now in the Army and it was the best life decision he ever made. Life is 2 precious and fleeting to risk one's health. My advice 2 Tua and his family is he might need 2 make a major decision in this regard as well. What I saw last night made be scared, and it was cringy. Made my wife and I think about what happened with our son. For all that is sacred, I pray Tua retires. Its just not worth it guys. At least in his case and my kid. That choice should be made case by case. One size doesn't fit all.

Rayman70

Reaction score
BTW.. If I am Tua and his family, I am suing the heck out of the Dolphins and the medical staff, coaches etc. There is 0 way he needed 2 be on that field again last week and this. They knowingly put the kid in harms way..and of course Tua was pushing 2 play. Its the way all players are wired. But cooler heads needed 2 make that decision for him. They failed him badly. Shame on the team.They put dollars and cents, WINNING before the players well-being. AWFUL!

Creeper

Reaction score
I saw the game where Tua was first injured. I am no doctor, but he looked like a boxer who just took a clean left hook to the chin. If Miami's doctors say it was a back injury then they better have the evidence to prove it, and I mean X-Rays and brain scans because a blow to the spine can knock a person down but I don't think it looks like Tua did. If Miami followed the concussion protocol then there is something wrong with the protocol. After seeing Tua stumble around I was shocked he played Thursday night.

The second injury was awful and the way his head hit the turf looked much more forceful than the first injury. Was the second injury worse because he was not recovered from the first? Or was the second injury just the result of a more forceful impact to the turf and whiplash? Again, if the doctors took scans of his head the first time, they should be able to answer this question.

At this point, Tua should go on IR and sit out at least a month, assuming he plays at all this year. Aikman will tell you that these concussions are cumulative and they come easier for some guys.

Finally, these whiplash concussions are going to be hard to eliminate. The tackle last night was violent and maybe it didn't have to be so but how to your take that out of the game?

terra

Reaction score
Talking from my own experience, we have a son that was concussed 2 games in a row as well. This was in Highschool about 5 years back. We...HE...and the head doctor, decided unanimously that it would be best if he quit the sport immediately. He is 6-3 and 250 LBs btw. He was a RT. Some are just more apt to get the head injuries. Its just the facts. The NFL is brutal and that can never be changed unless they make a rule that turns it into flag football. Every level of the sport can be brutal. My kid is now in the Army and it was the best life decision he ever made. Life is 2 precious and fleeting to risk one's health. My advice 2 Tua and his family is he might need 2 make a major decision in this regard as well. What I saw last night made be scared, and it was cringy. Made my wife and I think about what happened with our son. For all that is sacred, I pray Tua retires. Its just not worth it guys. At least in his case and my kid. That choice should be made case by case. One size doesn't fit all.
its certainly been proven that some people are simply more susceptible to concussions then others. Shame there seems to be no way to determine that before they get them.
Definitely agree that Tua needs to think hard on this.

Rayman70

Reaction score
its certainly been proven that some people are simply more susceptible to concussions then others. Shame there seems to be no way to determine that before they get them.
Definitely agree that Tua needs to think hard on this.
Exactly

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I had a concussion back 30 years ago from a helmet to helmet hit on a Friday night. Was back a practice on Monday and felt fine. I was a WR and K. Was not allowed to go back in at WR that game, but was 4-4 on XP's. Why they let me keep kicking is beyond me. To this day, I have no recollection of that game at all. I've watched the film of it probably a dozen times and have no memory of doing the things I did on the field.

My son had a concussion in 8th grade. Went up for a rebound and got undercut and hit his head on the gym floor. He missed the final 2 weeks of the basketball season and had periodic headaches for about a month. In late July he was playing first base and got tangled up with a runner on an errant pick off attempt and again hit his head on the ground. He laid there for a minute or two and popped back up perfectly fine. But that was a scary feeling as a parent.

My point here is that the Dolphins pretty much treated Tua's situation like they were in the early 90's as opposed to 2022. what used to be "ok" back then is certainly not ok now. He should have never come back in the game on Sunday and he should have never played last night. I know that football players are conditioned to being "tough" and trying to play through things so they are perceived as "soft" but in this instance, the Dolphins and the doctors failed Tua in a potentially life altering way.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I had a concussion back 30 years ago from a helmet to helmet hit on a Friday night. Was back a practice on Monday and felt fine. I was a WR and K. Was not allowed to go back in at WR that game, but was 4-4 on XP's. Why they let me keep kicking is beyond me. To this day, I have no recollection of that game at all. I've watched the film of it probably a dozen times and have no memory of doing the things I did on the field.

My son had a concussion in 8th grade. Went up for a rebound and got undercut and hit his head on the gym floor. He missed the final 2 weeks of the basketball season and had periodic headaches for about a month. In late July he was playing first base and got tangled up with a runner on an errant pick off attempt and again hit his head on the ground. He laid there for a minute or two and popped back up perfectly fine. But that was a scary feeling as a parent.

My point here is that the Dolphins pretty much treated Tua's situation like they were in the early 90's as opposed to 2022. what used to be "ok" back then is certainly not ok now. He should have never come back in the game on Sunday and he should have never played last night. I know that football players are conditioned to being "tough" and trying to play through things so they are perceived as "soft" but in this instance, the Dolphins and the doctors failed Tua in a potentially life altering way.
Well said.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Failure of the protocol. That stuff his hands were doing are a clear sign of brain trauma.

This wasn't a massive hit. He was already messed up. Fins made this so much worse by playing him

At first I thought he had broken multiple fingers on his hands. That's how rigid they were. Looked like at least 2 o 3 on each one.

Heaven forbid, but if he can't continue his career for much longer or at all, he can probably sue to such an extent that the Ross family has to sell the team as part of the settlement. That's how blatantly wrong the decision to play him was and much willful disregard there was in that decision.