The Tua Hits

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I saw the game where Tua was first injured. I am no doctor, but he looked like a boxer who just took a clean left hook to the chin. If Miami's doctors say it was a back injury then they better have the evidence to prove it, and I mean X-Rays and brain scans because a blow to the spine can knock a person down but I don't think it looks like Tua did. If Miami followed the concussion protocol then there is something wrong with the protocol. After seeing Tua stumble around I was shocked he played Thursday night.

The second injury was awful and the way his head hit the turf looked much more forceful than the first injury. Was the second injury worse because he was not recovered from the first? Or was the second injury just the result of a more forceful impact to the turf and whiplash? Again, if the doctors took scans of his head the first time, they should be able to answer this question.

At this point, Tua should go on IR and sit out at least a month, assuming he plays at all this year. Aikman will tell you that these concussions are cumulative and they come easier for some guys.

Finally, these whiplash concussions are going to be hard to eliminate. The tackle last night was violent and maybe it didn't have to be so but how to your take that out of the game?

The fact that they covered up the first one is what is going to make them pay. Everyone involved in that decision had better be shutting up and finding a lawyer because it's coming. If not from Tua himself then the NFLPA is probably going to file a suit on his behalf. If the NFLPA balks on this one, DeMaurice Smith better look at updating his resume because he's gonna have a revolt on his hands that will likely lead to him being removed from his role.

The Dolphins clearly lied and put Tua in danger because they were 3-0. If they were 0-3 then I don't think Tua is playing last night.

You say he looked like a boxer, and I would agree. I will also say that if he were in a boxing ring the referee would have stopped the fight the second he stumbled back down. Also, no boxing commission would have allowed that guy to fight again for weeks, if not months.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Last week

Tonight

Looks like another concussion to me. Felt like the NFL had made a lot of progress on preventing these but definitely brings it all back.

Independent Dr’s said the previous week was not a concussion but a back issue. Their careers are on the line and IMO they wouldn’t have let him back on the field if he fails concussion protocol testing. Fans and talking heads who are saying, “yeah that was a concussion “ Don’t know what they’re talking about.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The fact that they covered up the first one is what is going to make them pay. Everyone involved in that decision had better be shutting up and finding a lawyer because it's coming. If not from Tua himself then the NFLPA is probably going to file a suit on his behalf. If the NFLPA balks on this one, DeMaurice Smith better look at updating his resume because he's gonna have a revolt on his hands that will likely lead to him being removed from his role.

The Dolphins clearly lied and put Tua in danger because they were 3-0. If they were 0-3 then I don't think Tua is playing last night.

You say he looked like a boxer, and I would agree. I will also say that if he were in a boxing ring the referee would have stopped the fight the second he stumbled back down. Also, no boxing commission would have allowed that guy to fight again for weeks, if not months.
How do you know they covered something up? Were you one of the doctors that examined him?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
How do you know they covered something up? Were you one of the doctors that examined him?

Obviously, I wasn't one of the doctors. If you're willing to buy the back injury story, I have a bridge you can purchase.

Off topic, but your post count and likes are dead even. Kinda cool with such high numbers.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Obviously, I wasn't one of the doctors. If you're willing to buy the back injury story, I have a bridge you can purchase.

Off topic, but your post count and likes are dead even. Kinda cool with such high numbers.
What bridge and how much?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
What bridge and how much?

It's a little bridge. You know, the toothpick kind from middle school. About 12" in length.

Yours for the low price of $25K. It has sentimental value and all. That's not nearly as much as you just lost by screwing up your post:like ratio. You should have called it done and opened a new account so as to keep perfection in the box.

Silverz1972

Reaction score
Tua definitely needs to consider retiring. That did not look good.

I hope nfl do not over react on this. They should fine the dolphins on not taking the correct precautions.

Flamma

Reaction score
BTW.. If I am Tua and his family, I am suing the heck out of the Dolphins and the medical staff, coaches etc. There is 0 way he needed 2 be on that field again last week and this. They knowingly put the kid in harms way..and of course Tua was pushing 2 play. Its the way all players are wired. But cooler heads needed 2 make that decision for him. They failed him badly. Shame on the team.They put dollars and cents, WINNING before the players well-being. AWFUL!

Players lie. That's probably how he got around the protocol. But the team should have known that wasn't a back injury. I don't know anyone that believes that. That said, him suing the team should be off the table for that reason. But it won't be.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
How do NFL protocols allow this?

Don't know, but I suspect there'll be H-E- double hockey sticks to pay over this incident. Miami is gonna be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Havic

Reaction score
This is a league where its admirable to play through injuries (Tony Romo Punctured Lung game) and the list goes on. You have to protect players from themselves, especially with head injuries. Hell, even RGIII's knee was disgusting when he was playing through that.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Players lie. That's probably how he got around the protocol. But the team should have known that wasn't a back injury. I don't know anyone that believes that. That said, him suing the team should be off the table for that reason. But it won't be.
I agree with you Flamma, good points all. But the predominant anti-corporate attitude of this day and age will probably prevail even if they actually know the player lied to get around the protocol. By rights that should definitely make a difference if in fact he lied, but like you said, Miami is probably in deep do-do either way.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

That's not what happened.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He was checked by both team medical staff and league neurologist. They all cleared him. There's absolutely nothing more to be discussed about this - you either trust the experts that were hired or you don't. "Eye test" is not always reliable - so we move onto, do we now completely remove a player from a game if you simply SUSPECT there was a concussion?

Havic

Reaction score
Even if a player lies, modern day medicine can determine if you are concussed. I don't need to ask you if you are concussed to know.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Even if a player lies, modern day medicine can determine if you are concussed. I don't need to ask you if you are concussed to know.
exactly right. I can attest to this. Seeing the changes in my son after his 2 in consecutive weeks...its very evident. No medical degree is needed. They let the kid down. Miami put the team ahead of HIM. I truly want him 2 retire while he still has his remaining faculties. Tua shouldn't even have a say at this point. For his own good.His family, the league and his doctors must step in and say NO. I can't get that image out of my head, what we saw Thursday night. He could have EASILY died on live TV.

Flamma

Reaction score
He was checked by both team medical staff and league neurologist. They all cleared him. There's absolutely nothing more to be discussed about this - you either trust the experts that were hired or you don't. "Eye test" is not always reliable - so we move onto, do we now completely remove a player from a game if you simply SUSPECT there was a concussion?

I'm just going by what I heard on the radio. About lying while he's being checked out.

As far as the eye test goes, this really isn't a debate. He was obviously dizzy. That's why he was stumbling. Not for any other reason. Whether or not he had a concussion is up for debate.

Flamma

Reaction score
Independent Dr’s said the previous week was not a concussion but a back issue. Their careers are on the line and IMO they wouldn’t have let him back on the field if he fails concussion protocol testing. Fans and talking heads who are saying, “yeah that was a concussion “ Don’t know what they’re talking about.

The only thing in question is whether or not he had a concussion in the Buffalo game. There's no way anyone can see that. You have to be checked out. But the reason he was stumbling around was not a back issue. Anyone sober and over the age of 9 can tell you that. It was a head issue. But they don't always result in concussions.

Flamma

Reaction score

People will buy anything. People would do themselves a service by looking up how doctors diagnose concussions. There's no sure way to tell unless it's a severe concussion and obvious.

https://www.healthgrades.com/right-care/brain-and-nerves/how-doctors-diagnose-concussion

lukin2006

Reaction score
Tua laying on the field and the video of his hands was awful…I wish they never showed that…

how did they allow him to return to the game last week and the play this week. These players need to have independent advocates at every game…I hope he goes to his own doctor(s) and makes a wise decision on his future.