The Tua Hits

visionary

Reaction score
Both look like clear concussions, period

Dolphins and doctors should be held to account

terra

Reaction score
Well unless he actually examine him, seems more like someone wanting the limelight.
Though from all I have ever heard a brain injury does not really heal - the brains sort of rewires itself so maybe he is right.
Still not good no matter what.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well unless he actually examine him, seems more like someone wanting the limelight.
Though from all I have ever heard a brain injury does not really heal - the brains sort of rewires itself so maybe he is right.
Still not good no matter what.

I think the doctor is correct. The two concussions in a short period of time and the manner of his injuries are very significant. Additionally, he's now susceptible to more concussions, and I don't think anyone wants him going down the CTE road.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think the doctor is correct. The two concussions in a short period of time and the manner of his injuries are very significant. Additionally, he's now susceptible to more concussions, and I don't think anyone wants him going down the CTE road.

He probably did suffer some permanent brain damage due to having the 2nd concussion before the first one totally healed. That's also when it's easier to get another concussion. Before the prior one totally heals.

You might be right on him being more susceptible now after damage, but I'm not sure. My info is coming from Doctors either talking about this or writing about it. So my memory fails me sometimes. Either way, he has to wait a very long time before his last concussion. Something like 4-6 months. But I'm sure they'll get him back in sooner.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He probably did suffer some permanent brain damage due to having the 2nd concussion before the first one totally healed. That's also when it's easier to get another concussion. Before the prior one totally heals.

You might be right on him being more susceptible now after damage, but I'm not sure. My info is coming from Doctors either talking about this or writing about it. So my memory fails me sometimes. Either way, he has to wait a very long time before his last concussion. Something like 4-6 months. But I'm sure they'll get him back in sooner.

If they do let him back before the end of this season, then that will show that "player safety" is a load of crap. Frankly, I really think, as the doctor said, Tua should retire. He's made good money, he's a bright person, and I do worry about his future if he gets another concussion.

Flamma

Reaction score
If they do let him back before the end of this season, then that will show that "player safety" is a load of crap. Frankly, I really think, as the doctor said, Tua should retire. He's made good money, he's a bright person, and I do worry about his future if he gets another concussion.

Here's the thing about concussions from what I've learned. To be totally sure a concussion is healed, it takes about 4 weeks. It's anywhere from 2-4 weeks, but 4 weeks to be sure. The NFL has never had that policy.

Years ago players would always come back the next week. Mainly because they felt good. But that doesn't mean it's totally healed. So it's easier to get another concussion. Like the doctor I was listening to said, the NFL doesn't have a concussion problem, they have a concussion management problem. If you wait for the concussion to totally heal, it's not easier to get the next one. If you don't, and let them get one on top of the other, the healing process is much much longer.

Should Tua retire? I really don't know. He's made 25M up to this point. Half of that is gone in taxes and agents, not counting what he's already spent. I'm guessing he won't retire. He's looking for that big pay day. The one thing he can do to help himself is to get rid of the damn ball when he's out of the pocket.

That last concussion never should have happened. He wasn't blindsided. Tua didn't even protect himself. He just stood there. Get rid of the ball or at least tuck and go down.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Here's the thing about concussions from what I've learned. To be totally sure a concussion is healed, it takes about 4 weeks. It's anywhere from 2-4 weeks, but 4 weeks to be sure. The NFL has never had that policy.

Years ago players would always come back the next week. Mainly because they felt good. But that doesn't mean it's totally healed. So it's easier to get another concussion. Like the doctor I was listening to said, the NFL doesn't have a concussion problem, they have a concussion management problem. If you wait for the concussion to totally heal, it's not easier to get the next one. If you don't, and let them get one on top of the other, the healing process is much much longer.

Should Tua retire? I really don't know. He's made 25M up to this point. Half of that is gone in taxes and agents, not counting what he's already spent. I'm guessing he won't retire. He's looking for that big pay day. The one thing he can do to help himself is to get rid of the damn ball when he's out of the pocket.

That last concussion never should have happened. He wasn't blindsided. Tua didn't even protect himself. He just stood there. Get rid of the ball or at least tuck and go down.

I agree that he should have played smarter, but, my goodness, was that scary!

Flamma

Reaction score
I can't find a video clip of it, but I'm pretty sure it was the Cowboys VS Chargers in 1980. This is a classic play and is shown a lot. A Chargers WR over the middle catches the ball and gets knocked out, but he holds on to the ball. I'm thinking Wes Chandler. Anyone here remember that play? Dude was out cold, ball in hand.

He comes back in the game later on.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The NFL needs to be called out on this and held accountable in perpetuity to Tua's Family. Jalen Ramsey provided some harsh reality for the NFL with his comments regarding the NFL's strict uniform rules that are subjective and strictly enforced while a player in obvious distress from a head injury is allowed back on the field in violation of clear and understood concussion protocols. Goodell and the NFL Owners obviously place the bottom line in higher standing than player safety. Disgraceful and embarrassing lack of leadership from the league and owners here.

terra

Reaction score
The NFL needs to be called out on this and held accountable in perpetuity to Tua's Family. Jalen Ramsey provided some harsh reality for the NFL with his comments regarding the NFL's strict uniform rules that are subjective and strictly enforced while a player in obvious distress from a head injury is allowed back on the field in violation of clear and understood concussion protocols. Goodell and the NFL Owners obviously place the bottom line in higher standing than player safety. Disgraceful and embarrassing lack of leadership from the league and owners here.
Yeah, Ramsey is right about the NFL caring more about their contracts with whoever as regards a players uniform then the player himself.

Flamma

Reaction score

Of course. It's like any other business. Not playing (working) and still being paid is bad for business. But Tua himself is partially at fault on this one. He's the one that lied about his condition in Buffalo.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Of course. It's like any other business. Not playing (working) and still being paid is bad for business. But Tua himself is partially at fault on this one. He's the one that lied about his condition in Buffalo.
Once Tua was seen staggering of the field, anything he would have said at that point should have been of no consequence.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Once Tua was seen staggering of the field, anything he would have said at that point should have been of no consequence.

They didn't just take his word. He went through protocol and then went through it during the week.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
They didn't just take his word. He went through protocol and then went through it during the week.
The independent dude who orchestrated the examination protocol doing the Buffalo game was fired. Tua should never have been allowed back on the field in that game after hitting his head.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
At first I thought he had broken multiple fingers on his hands. That's how rigid they were. Looked like at least 2 o 3 on each one.

Heaven forbid, but if he can't continue his career for much longer or at all, he can probably sue to such an extent that the Ross family has to sell the team as part of the settlement. That's how blatantly wrong the decision to play him was and much willful disregard there was in that decision.

Its called a fencing response

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The independent dude who orchestrated the examination protocol doing the Buffalo game was fired. Tua should never have been allowed back on the field in that game after hitting his head.

Yeah of course a firing was going to happen - this is before the investigation even concluded. Unless the investigation comes back that malpractice happened, it's an unjust firing.

You either trust the neurologists and your team doctors or you ignore what they say. The Dolphins weren't forced to put Tua back on the field and Tua was not forced either. They got the go ahead after going through initial tests, came back fine AND was fine throughout the week, and then he took a nasty hit on TNF.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Yeah of course a firing was going to happen - this is before the investigation even concluded. Unless the investigation comes back that malpractice happened, it's an unjust firing.

You either trust the neurologists and your team doctors or you ignore what they say. The Dolphins weren't forced to put Tua back on the field and Tua was not forced either. They got the go ahead after going through initial tests, came back fine AND was fine throughout the week, and then he took a nasty hit on TNF.
Does that look like a dude who should have been cleared to finish against the Bills?

Gross malpractice, particularly when considering the violence inherent with the game of football. Many Neurologists have been outspoken about the disservice and neglect shown to Tua from that Buffalo game.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Does that look like a dude who should have been cleared to finish against the Bills?

Gross malpractice, particularly when considering the violence inherent with the game of football. Many Neurologists have been outspoken about the disservice and neglect shown to Tua from that Buffalo game.

I'm not a doctor nor am I neurologist. I'm not playing eye test, he went through the testing - professionals said it wasn't his head, but his back. He went through testing throughout the week, it came back fine. Also you can be "dizzy" or your back can absolutely cause that. We don't know, nor do you. Here is also something: The hit that Sunday does not mean it connects to the concussion on Thursday. They were BOTH big hits, that's the issue, Tua is getting hit too much and he's taking too many hits he shouldn't.

And Neurologists doing armchair diagnosis' from Twitter are narcissist looking for a minute of attention. No professional would flap their gums without doing the test themselves.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm not a doctor nor am I neurologist. I'm not playing eye test, he went through the testing - professionals said it wasn't his head, but his back. He went through testing throughout the week, it came back fine. Also you can be "dizzy" or your back can absolutely cause that. We don't know, nor do you. Here is also something: The hit that Sunday does not mean it connects to the concussion on Thursday. They were BOTH big hits, that's the issue, Tua is getting hit too much and he's taking too many hits he shouldn't.

And Neurologists doing armchair diagnosis' from Twitter are narcissist looking for a minute of attention. No professional would flap their gums without doing the test themselves.

You are absolutely right. I can't really argue anything you said because all of it is possible. But keep in mind there is no such thing as a concussion test. No real way to know for sure. A lot of what they go by is the actual play, and how the player responds to their questioning.

For example, most players are perfectly fine a week later after a concussion. That's why they always would come back the following week. But regardless of that, concussions take longer than a week to fully heal.