The Two NTs of Boston College

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2650206 said:
We will need him to get off the ball and be able to make plays in the backfield and show some quick burst....

what was his 10 yard spilt compared to Raji and Hill? What about broad jump? What about short shuttle? Or even his vertical? These workouts measure explosion and burst more than a 40. The 40 measures top speed and stamina

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;2650238 said:
what was his 10 yard spilt compared to Raji and Hill? What about broad jump? What about short shuttle? Or even his vertical? These workouts measure explosion and burst more than a 40. The 40 measures top speed and stamina

IDK but I doubt it's going to be much better than has 40 time.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2650248 said:
IDK but I doubt it's going to be much better than has 40 time.

I doubt it's great, but I'm willing to bet that the 10 yard split will be similar to the other guys. I could be wrong, but imo Brace's 40 time is about as meaningful as Felix Jones bench press last year

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;2650264 said:
I doubt it's great, but I'm willing to bet that the 10 yard split will be similar to the other guys. I could be wrong, but imo Brace's 40 time is about as meaningful as Felix Jones bench press last year

I wouldn't go that far. Considering the knock on Brace at Senior bowl was that he's slow and lethargic and he only has one move...I'd doubt he's going to wow us with anything else and I'd rather have more than just a space eater at NT someone that can penetrate up the middle would be nice.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;2650264 said:

I doubt it

part of the 40 is getting off the line

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2650140 said:
Raji ran a 5.13 and hill ran a 5.11 raji weighs more and hill is one lb less than Brace.....

And?

Raji is a different type of player entirely. He's not your typical NT and he could even be a 3-4 end. Brace is built more like a Jamal Williams and if he two-gaps and occupies blockers, you don't need him running 40 yards.

As for Hill, you can take the Stillman College player and I'll take the one who has produced at a high level against Big East competition.

Alexander

Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2650127 said:
no, that just hightlights how unexplosive he is

I've been down on him for awhile now

Tell me how a 40 is going to tell you how "explosive" he is. This ought to be funny.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;2650294 said:
And?

Raji is a different type of player entirely. He's not your typical NT and he could even be a 3-4 end. Brace is built more like a Jamal Williams and if he two-gaps and occupies blockers, you don't need him running 40 yards.

As for Hill, you can take the Stillman College player and I'll take the one who has produced at a high level against Big East competition.

Hill > Brace

I'll take the raw athlete over someone that only produce cause he was next to an All-American.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;2650296 said:
Tell me how a 40 is going to tell you how "explosive" he is. This ought to be funny.

not that alone, but to get a great 40, you have to get a good jump at the whistle

Alexander

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2650206 said:
We will need him to get off the ball and be able to make plays in the backfield and show some quick burst....

One day people will realize that Wade Phillips has played his defense with both quick penetrating nose tackles and space-eating blobs.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;2650306 said:
One day people will realize that Wade Phillips has played his defense with both quick penetrating nose tackles and space-eating blobs.

Jamal Williams isn't just a space-eating blob

Phillips' 3-4 is gap-intensive, you have to be able to split gaps, as well as contain your gap, Brace can only contain his gaps

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;2650306 said:

What does that have to do with anything?

Alexander

Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2650300 said:
not that alone, but to get a great 40, you have to get a good jump at the whistle

And what's to say he didn't? I haven't seen his 40, but I'd bet he was huffing and puffing for the last 20 of it.

Playing nose tackle has zero to do with whether or not he's quick out of the blocks like a track athlete. If he was as bad as you are making out due to his 40 time, then I doubt we and a host of other teams would have been crawling all over him for the last month.

Alexander

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2650310 said:
What does that have to do with anything?

It has a lot to do with it. You are acting like we have to have a Ratliff clone. We don't.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;2650311 said:
And what's to say he didn't? I haven't seen his 40, but I'd bet he was huffing and puffing for the last 20 of it.

Playing nose tackle has zero to do with whether or not he's quick out of the blocks like a track athlete. If he was as bad as you are making out due to his 40 time, then I doubt we and a host of other teams would have been crawling all over him for the last month.

he was probably too slow getting off the blocks too

the interest in Brace is called doing your due dilligence

they probably all want to see if Brace can do more than just take up space, which he can't

crimeny, Raji weighs 7 more lbs. and did his in under 5.15

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;2650313 said:
It has a lot to do with it. You are acting like we have to have a Ratliff clone. We don't.

You're right we don't need a Ratliff clone however, we do need someone that will have to be doubled team being slow off the snap only move being the bull rush I highly doubt he will demand the double teams that we would want him to.

Alexander

Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2650309 said:
Jamal Williams isn't just a space-eating blob

Phillips' 3-4 is gap-intensive, you have to be able to split gaps, as well as contain your gap, Brace can only contain his gaps

Hardly. BC ran quite a few zone blitzes and he even had to operate in space.

But look at that 40 time. He just can't play.