The Ultimate Trade

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, this is not for a player but for a frustrating period of time. The posters not around through 95 will have a hard time deciding on this but those of you that lived through that, would you give those 4 years up to have an owner other than the one now?

Those years were great, the best 4 years in Cowboys history but what has followed, the 20 years of mediocrity, the spotlight seeking and general incompetence shown by management, does that equal out?

So would you give up those 4 years, 3 rings and the epitome of excellence to have a more traditional owner that hires a GM and doesn't run this as a family business and might, just might, have achieved more success during this 20 year period of mediocrity?

I would give it up in a hummingbird's heartbeat because maybe, just maybe, this team would have to win to be successful and not be guaranteed profits from the past and not be run as a rich man's toy.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Wouldn't trade it. As a matter of fact, give me those 4 years again right now and I'll gladly take another 21 year drought. While the 21 years were disappointing, the team did have some chances to accomplish more that went to waste, despite Jerry. Maybe not winning the SB but they should have been to the playoffs and won more playoff games than they did.

foofighters

Reaction score
This sounds like one of the many Sci-Fi movies out there where they good guys want to go back and time and stop the evil from happening. Unless you believe in Skynet, then it's the other way around. Can you imagine Jerry saying, "Come with me if you to live!!"

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I loved those 90’s championships and would not trade them. I was in high school and enjoyed every bit of it.

We’re getting close to finishing, whether we wanna admit it or not. Guess I still have some belief with the young roster we have. I’m frustrated as the next, but I still feel we’re close.

I will continue to ride with the Cowboys. I will continue to vent when needed.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, this is not for a player but for a frustrating period of time. The posters not around through 95 will have a hard time deciding on this but those of you that lived through that, would you give those 4 years up to have an owner other than the one now?

Those years were great, the best 4 years in Cowboys history but what has followed, the 20 years of mediocrity, the spotlight seeking and general incompetence shown by management, does that equal out?

So would you give up those 4 years, 3 rings and the epitome of excellence to have a more traditional owner that hires a GM and doesn't run this as a family business and might, just might, have achieved more success during this 20 year period of mediocrity?

I would give it up in a hummingbird's heartbeat because maybe, just maybe, this team would have to win to be successful and not be guaranteed profits from the past and not be run as a rich man's toy.
Nope!!!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wouldn't trade it. As a matter of fact, give me those 4 years again right now and I'll gladly take another 21 year drought. While the 21 years were disappointing, the team did have some chances to accomplish more that went to waste, despite Jerry. Maybe not winning the SB but they should have been to the playoffs and won more playoff games than they did.
But the point is, they did not accomplish more. 40% of the time the team has been in existence, they've been mediocre, a .500 team. And that is all in a row because those two years of having home field, they completely squandered that.

It is that 4 year run that is still driving the revenue machine that kept Booger as the owner. The team was bleeding when he bought it to the tune of 1M a month, how long do you think he could have held on before he had to do the same thing Bum Bright did? And Bright had other business interests, Booger went all in on this.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

The bigger question is what Franchise would you trade places with since 1990

The Pats 5 SBs is easy but who else?
DAL 3 SBs
DEN 3 SBs
NYG 3 SBs
PITT 2 SBs
GB 2 SBs
BAL 2 SBs

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
But the point is, they did not accomplish more. 40% of the time the team has been in existence, they've been mediocre, a .500 team. And that is all in a row because those two years of having home field, they completely squandered that.

It is that 4 year run that is still driving the revenue machine that kept Booger as the owner. The team was bleeding when he bought it to the tune of 1M a month, how long do you think he could have held on before he had to do the same thing Bum Bright did? And Bright had other business interests, Booger went all in on this.

I get it. I'll take the 3 titles in 4 years and then 21 years of being mediocre again in a heartbeat if that were an option. Sign me up right now and let's enjoy some titles. I probably won't be alive long enough to have to endure the entire 21 years of mediocrity again though but should be able to press through the SB years. :)

cern

Reaction score

jerral wayne bought the worst team in football at the time for 140 million dollars. now over 20 years later, while still among the worst teams due to the front office and coaching, it's worth over 4.2 billion.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I would not trade it at all, not even close.

What fans fail to realize, is a lot of organizations are run correctly. The Eagles, the Vikings, the Lions, the Falcons, the Panthers, the Cardinals (recently at least), the Bills, the Jaguars, the Texans the Titans and the Chargers, are all run correctly. But what do they all have in common?

Winning Super Bowls, isn't easy...

Kaiser

Reaction score
jerral wayne bought the worst team in football at the time for 140 million dollars. now over 20 years later, while still among the worst teams due to the front office and coaching, it's worth over 4.2 billion.

We are averaging 9 wins a season over the last four years, even with an injury to a franchise QB that guarantees a losing season. Amazing how lucky that is with horrible FO and coaching and all that.