The Ultimate Trade

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get it. I'll take the 3 titles in 4 years and then 21 years of being mediocre again in a heartbeat if that were an option. Sign me up right now and let's enjoy some titles. I probably won't be alive long enough to have to endure the entire 21 years of mediocrity again though but should be able to press through the SB years. :)
Excellent, same here. And the reason I could make the trade is that I was around for the 20 winning seasons and 5 trips and 2 rings before that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The bigger question is what Franchise would you trade places with since 1990

The Pats 5 SBs is easy but who else?
DAL 3 SBs
DEN 3 SBs
NYG 3 SBs
PITT 2 SBs
GB 2 SBs
BAL 2 SBs
It's not as much about the rings as being a true contender for them. 4 NFC Champs games in a row and not a divisional win since, doesn't seem like a fair trade to me.

cern

Reaction score
We are averaging 9 wins a season over the last four years, even with an injury to a franchise QB that guarantees a losing season. Amazing how lucky that is with horrible FO and coaching and all that.
eagles lost their franchise qb this year. and their lt. and their best lb. they'll be playing in the superbowl in just over a week. why you ask?????? outstanding hc and outstanding gm. two things we lack. new England will also be in the superbowl. outstanding hc and gm. and in their case, it's the same guy doing both jobs.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
But the point is, they did not accomplish more. 40% of the time the team has been in existence, they've been mediocre, a .500 team. And that is all in a row because those two years of having home field, they completely squandered that.

It is that 4 year run that is still driving the revenue machine that kept Booger as the owner. The team was bleeding when he bought it to the tune of 1M a month, how long do you think he could have held on before he had to do the same thing Bum Bright did? And Bright had other business interests, Booger went all in on this.
Point is, nobody is giving you a response that coincides your beliefs. All good though. Feel your pain. It’s okay to vent, because that’s all we have as fans. Change starts at the top. “They” ain’t ready from what we read and see. Journey on brother!

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
No, this is not for a player but for a frustrating period of time. The posters not around through 95 will have a hard time deciding on this but those of you that lived through that, would you give those 4 years up to have an owner other than the one now

Those years were great, the best 4 years in Cowboys history but what has followed, the 20 years of mediocrity, the spotlight seeking and general incompetence shown by management, does that equal out?

So would you give up those 4 years, 3 rings and the epitome of excellence to have a more traditional owner that hires a GM and doesn't run this as a family business and might, just might, have achieved more success during this 20 year period of mediocrity?

I would give it up in a hummingbird's heartbeat because maybe, just maybe, this team would have to win to be successful and not be guaranteed profits from the past and not be run as a rich man's toy.

My answer to the question is no. Not only was it 4 great years of football, but 4 of the best years of my life. Both of my kids were born during that time, guess what wifey and I did after wins!! Best *** and football of my life!!

Not just that either. Those teams are among the best ever assembled. You can give that up and and dream of a new GM who would do things differently? Let me think about the number of teams who have changed GM's since 1995 and have zero to show for it. Coaches as well. One fact, the Patriots have dominated the playoff/ SB era of the 2000's. Now, if you ask me if I would give up those 3 rings for Bellichik and Brady for 10 years of Patriot success, I would say yes, as long as I got to celebrate after every win. To hell with the vasectomy

blueblood70

Reaction score

DAL 3 SBs
DEN 3 SBs
NYG 3 SBs
PITT 2 SBs
GB 2 SBs
BAL 2 SBs
did you leave out san fran and Washington somehow? did they not have multiples? i don't remember maybe not and I'm too lazy to look it up..

however this brings perspective to all these haters and blowhards claiming mediocrity, seems like other than NE, we are still on par with the best teams in the league since 1990 and i bet if you pull up W and Ls we also would be way up there.. i realize the monumental let downs of 2003, 2007, 2014, and 2016 as we should have went deeper in the playoffs and should IMO have one the 2014 SB had Murray and Baily not choked and the dez no call etc..yes it hurts but in no way are or should be compared to the Cleveland's, Tampa Bays, and even Cincinnati's of the NFL(few examples) ..

Proof

Reaction score
No, this is not for a player but for a frustrating period of time. The posters not around through 95 will have a hard time deciding on this but those of you that lived through that, would you give those 4 years up to have an owner other than the one now?

Those years were great, the best 4 years in Cowboys history but what has followed, the 20 years of mediocrity, the spotlight seeking and general incompetence shown by management, does that equal out?

So would you give up those 4 years, 3 rings and the epitome of excellence to have a more traditional owner that hires a GM and doesn't run this as a family business and might, just might, have achieved more success during this 20 year period of mediocrity?

I would give it up in a hummingbird's heartbeat because maybe, just maybe, this team would have to win to be successful and not be guaranteed profits from the past and not be run as a rich man's toy.

No. Those were very special times in my life. Shaped my fandom and gave me a team to root for and stick with moving around the world as a military brat with no real home.

And as much as I’d love the team to win now, there’s just no comparing a kids love and idolization of a sports team / players to an adults.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It's not as much about the rings as being a true contender for them. 4 NFC Champs games in a row and not a divisional win since, doesn't seem like a fair trade to me.
you mean NFC divisional win like an NFCG because we have won many division titles since than and a few first round byes..?

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Problem is, you aren't guaranteed any SB with a different GM. So giving up 3 SB's for just a CHANCE at 1 since then? Nope.
........yah, but the GM wannabe's would be fired. Not encouraged.

We are stuck with the worst GM in Cowboy history. Football history................

Not only does he not have football intelligence at a GM level, he doesn't have a backbone either. Wired completely wrong for a GM.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score

DAL 3 SBs
DEN 3 SBs
NYG 3 SBs
PITT 2 SBs
GB 2 SBs
BAL 2 SBs

Not.pitt.. they didn't win those 2 sbs.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Point is, nobody is giving you a response that coincides your beliefs. All good though. Feel your pain. It’s okay to vent, because that’s all we have as fans. Change starts at the top. “They” ain’t ready from what we read and see. Journey on brother!
I am not venting, I am accepting. All of the frustration with Booger, how deep is that? Deep enough to give something up not to have it?

And I am not looking for anyone to align with my beliefs, just wondering how frustrated posters here really are? This was posed on another site and the responses were about the same. I did not pose the question but I did respond the same way.

I like these Cowboys sites but the incessant whining about Booger and something that isn't about to change yet they continue to rail instead of accepting what is, that is venting. But it does serve a purpose. And not everyone dislikes him as the owner, they think he's just swell.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, this is not for a player but for a frustrating period of time. The posters not around through 95 will have a hard time deciding on this but those of you that lived through that, would you give those 4 years up to have an owner other than the one now?

That is an excellent question. It’s almost impossible for me to say I would ever give up a known for an unknown.

But the truth you touch on here is that because Jerry was a part of those 4 glory years, he is still deludednwith the fool’s gold that he was mostly responsible for those 3 SBs.

The irony is Jerry does know HOW to build a SB winner. His 3 SBs of the 90s had this formula: a strong HC coupled with Jerry’s risk taking made a great balance. Today, sadly, Jerry chooses to use only 50% of that winning formula.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is an excellent question. It’s almost impossible for me to say I would ever give up a known for an unknown.

But the truth you touch on here is that because Jerry was a part of those 4 glory years, he is still deludednwith the fool’s gold that he was mostly responsible for those 3 SBs.

The irony is Jerry does know HOW to build a SB winner. His 3 SBs of the 90s had this formula: a strong HC coupled with Jerry’s risk taking made a great balance. Today, sadly, Jerry chooses to use only 50% of that winning formula.
Well, that's the tricky part, the unknown. Might not have been much better and you'd be out the 3 rings.

I am a little different than most here because to me, the ring's not the thing. I remember how I felt after the first 2, not much different and any euphoria was short lived accented by a letdown season to follow.

Given the choice, I would take contending for at least 10 of the last 20 seasons over the rings. But, I am not the norm, to many the ring is the thing, the only thing. And that's fine for them.

20 seasons of irrelevancy has put a heavy fade on those 4 seasons. I guess it comes down to mattering. Even when we were not going to SB's, we mattered. 20 winning seasons in a row insured that we mattered and that's what earned the term "America's Team". The Cowboys matter to the ratings and revenue, and some even cite the value as accomplishment, but do the Dallas Cowboys really matter in terms of the game anymore?

Just take a look at most of the responses of how posters feel this season will go. Most have resigned themselves to not mattering. Mattering matters to me.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This is one of the most ridiculous threads/topics I’ve ever seen. Is this for real? A fan would have to be completely out of their mind to trade away those championship years years in the 90s that saw the Cowboys become the team of the decade, just to have a traditional owner and GM. There’s teams that have traditional owners and GM’s that haven’t come close to accomplishing what the Cowboys did in the 90s. Regardless the owner and GM you have it still comes down to the players on the field. To even have the thought of trading away the most special period in your franchises history just to have a traditional owner and GM is completely insane. Jerry not being a traditional owner is what led to the Cowboys having arguably the most spectacular stadium and training facility in the league. His ownership and marketing skills have the Cowboys as the richest franchise in the league despite the lack of on the field success the team has had.

The marketing that teams do today was all started by Jerry. He’s been a great owner which is why he was elected to the Hall of Fame but he’s been a miserable GM. Having a traditional owner and GM doesn’t guarantee you success, just look around the league. Only one team has Tom Brady. The success the Cowboys had in the 90s was in a untraditional way by having a head coach and owner working together. There probably wasn’t another owner and head coach that had the type of working relationship that Jimmy and Jerry had. I don’t care how frustrated you are with Jerry or the state of the franchise you don’t trade away what the team accomplished in the 90s just to have a traditional owner and GM. Not many teams in the history of the league had a four year period as successful as the Cowboys did from 92 to 95. Why give that away for what most teams have? Get real!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is one of the most ridiculous threads/topics I’ve ever seen. Is this for real? A fan would have to be completely out of their mind to trade away those championship years years in the 90s that saw the Cowboys become the team of the decade, just to have a traditional owner and GM. There’s teams that have traditional owners and GM’s that haven’t come close to accomplishing what the Cowboys did in the 90s. Regardless the owner and GM you have it still comes down to the players on the field. To even have the thought of trading away the most special period in your franchises history just to have a traditional owner and GM is completely insane. Jerry not being a traditional owner is what led to the Cowboys having arguably the most spectacular stadium and training facility in the league. His ownership and marketing skills have the Cowboys as the richest franchise in the league despite the lack of on the field success the team has had.

The marketing that teams do today was all started by Jerry. He’s been a great owner which is why he was elected to the Hall of Fame but he’s been a miserable GM. Having a traditional owner and GM doesn’t guarantee you success, just look around the league. Only one team has Tom Brady. The success the Cowboys had in the 90s was in a untraditional way by having a head coach and owner working together. There probably wasn’t another owner and head coach that had the type of working relationship that Jimmy and Jerry had. I don’t care how frustrated you are with Jerry or the state of the franchise you don’t trade away what the team accomplished in the 90s just to have a traditional owner and GM. Not many teams in the history of the league had a four year period as successful as the Cowboys did from 92 to 95.
Thanks for your endorsement and I have done much more ridiculous threads than this. It is for real but I am not.

Since the first job of the owner is to hire the GM, you lost me at "great owner" and he got the jacket for making them money and being a part of that first TV contract greater than the combined value of all 32 teams.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That was to prove a point, and Jerry was right about there being 500 coaches that could win with that team....albeit it being the last time he was right about anything.......but he was right about that.
"I was asleep on the couch and my wife said 'Jerry Jones is on the phone' and he wants to know if I want to coach the Dallas Cowboys.... I said 'Hell yeah'........" - Barry Switzer

ShortRound

Reaction score
Nope, those were magical years, memories we'll all cherish.

It goes to show how difficult it is to win the super bowl. As good as Rodgers has been, the Packers only won 1 with him.