The Ultimate Trade

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
No, this is not for a player but for a frustrating period of time. The posters not around through 95 will have a hard time deciding on this but those of you that lived through that, would you give those 4 years up to have an owner other than the one now?

Those years were great, the best 4 years in Cowboys history but what has followed, the 20 years of mediocrity, the spotlight seeking and general incompetence shown by management, does that equal out?

So would you give up those 4 years, 3 rings and the epitome of excellence to have a more traditional owner that hires a GM and doesn't run this as a family business and might, just might, have achieved more success during this 20 year period of mediocrity?

I would give it up in a hummingbird's heartbeat because maybe, just maybe, this team would have to win to be successful and not be guaranteed profits from the past and not be run as a rich man's toy.

No way. They were the best of times. And a normal owner who hires a regular GM does not guarantee you a Superbowl. See: Philadelphia Eagles.

LOBO7

Reaction score
32 TEAMS / 3 super bowls in 96 years would be about average

No I wouldn't trade that era away. Best total talent we ever had.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is one of the most ridiculous threads/topics I’ve ever seen. Is this for real? A fan would have to be completely out of their mind to trade away those championship years years in the 90s that saw the Cowboys become the team of the decade, just to have a traditional owner and GM. There’s teams that have traditional owners and GM’s that haven’t come close to accomplishing what the Cowboys did in the 90s. Regardless the owner and GM you have it still comes down to the players on the field. To even have the thought of trading away the most special period in your franchises history just to have a traditional owner and GM is completely insane. Jerry not being a traditional owner is what led to the Cowboys having arguably the most spectacular stadium and training facility in the league. His ownership and marketing skills have the Cowboys as the richest franchise in the league despite the lack of on the field success the team has had.

The marketing that teams do today was all started by Jerry. He’s been a great owner which is why he was elected to the Hall of Fame but he’s been a miserable GM. Having a traditional owner and GM doesn’t guarantee you success, just look around the league. Only one team has Tom Brady. The success the Cowboys had in the 90s was in a untraditional way by having a head coach and owner working together. There probably wasn’t another owner and head coach that had the type of working relationship that Jimmy and Jerry had. I don’t care how frustrated you are with Jerry or the state of the franchise you don’t trade away what the team accomplished in the 90s just to have a traditional owner and GM. Not many teams in the history of the league had a four year period as successful as the Cowboys did from 92 to 95. Why give that away for what most teams have? Get real!
Gee Willickers, KJJ. How much would you have written if it were not ridiculous.:omg:

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Football is entertaining because the outcome is uncertain. Once you’ve removed the uncertainty, it ceases to be entertaining. Ergo, once I know the the outcome, I’ll stop watching, win or lose

Donut

Reaction score
Stay away from him coach. I' hate to have to read any more from him jeeezzz.

bark

Reaction score
Seems to be a landslide for take the rings and run. I too fall into the thanks but no thanks category.
Maybe the results would vary if you changed the question to read trade those 4 years for 21 years of Belichick running the show with complete autonomy.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Thanks for your endorsement and I have done much more ridiculous threads than this. It is for real but I am not.

Since the first job of the owner is to hire the GM, you lost me at "great owner" and he got the jacket for making them money and being a part of that first TV contract greater than the combined value of all 32 teams.

If you’ve started more ridiculous topics than this then any rational, levelheaded fan isn’t taking you seriously. Especially considering you would actually trade away what the Cowboys accomplished in the 90s just to have what most teams have, a traditional owner and GM. That’s hilarious! You can’t possibly be for real. Were you even around when the Cowboys were winning championships in the 90s? Jerry got a gold jacket for all the reasons I’ve mentioned. He butted heads with the league wanting to do his own marketing, now all teams to do their own marketing.

He’s one of the most powerful owners in the league. We’re all frustrated with him as a GM but some of you need to learn to separate his ownership skills from the crappy job he’s done as a GM. Those are two different hats he’s wearing. If he wasn’t a great owner the Cowboys could be playing in another city right now and wouldn’t have the stadium/training facility they do today. They certainly wouldn’t be the richest franchise in the NFL if he wasn’t a great owner.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Gee Willickers, KJJ. How much would you have written if it were not ridiculous.:omg:

I wouldn’t have even bothered responding if it wasn’t so ridiculous. You would trade away what the Cowboys accomplished in the 90s just to have a traditional owner and GM. That’s insane. :laugh::facepalm:

fredp22

Reaction score
yes.
If Stephen isnt any better this nightmare could go on for a while. I'd give up 3 years for better/ownership/management in a second

Kaiser

Reaction score
eagles lost their franchise qb this year. and their lt. and their best lb. they'll be playing in the superbowl in just over a week. why you ask?????? outstanding hc and outstanding gm. two things we lack. new England will also be in the superbowl. outstanding hc and gm. and in their case, it's the same guy doing both jobs.

The Eagles have an expensive backup who is playing better than he has at any time in this career. Name one other example in the last 20 years of NFL football.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, this is not for a player but for a frustrating period of time. The posters not around through 95 will have a hard time deciding on this but those of you that lived through that, would you give those 4 years up to have an owner other than the one now?

Those years were great, the best 4 years in Cowboys history but what has followed, the 20 years of mediocrity, the spotlight seeking and general incompetence shown by management, does that equal out?

So would you give up those 4 years, 3 rings and the epitome of excellence to have a more traditional owner that hires a GM and doesn't run this as a family business and might, just might, have achieved more success during this 20 year period of mediocrity?

I would give it up in a hummingbird's heartbeat because maybe, just maybe, this team would have to win to be successful and not be guaranteed profits from the past and not be run as a rich man's toy.

NO !!

I would not give up the 3 Nineties Super Bowls.

Mad_max

Reaction score

I always thought he would run the franchise like his toy. He just couldn't let anything alone. His buddy Larry Lacewell and himself made a laughingstock of the drafts till just a few years ago. Just think out of all the drafts of his only one name stands out. Larry Allen!

Mad_max

Reaction score
I would not trade it at all, not even close.

What fans fail to realize, is a lot of organizations are run correctly. The Eagles, the Vikings, the Lions, the Falcons, the Panthers, the Cardinals (recently at least), the Bills, the Jaguars, the Texans the Titans and the Chargers, are all run correctly. But what do they all have in common?

Winning Super Bowls, isn't easy...
What has Jerry proven? Winning Super Bowls are impossible.

Derekmtl85

Reaction score
........yah, but the GM wannabe's would be fired. Not encouraged.

We are stuck with the worst GM in Cowboy history. Football history................

Not only does he not have football intelligence at a GM level, he doesn't have a backbone either. Wired completely wrong for a GM.
While i completely agree, it doesn't change anything. You're still trading 3 SB's for sure, for maybe 1, and maybe not even that. Every other team can fire their GM, not every team has won a superbowl since 95.