The Video Game Thread

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hope you get your PSVR2 today @Jammer !!

It's looking like I won't be able to run down and grab one today, which, I don't understand why Sony is choosing to handle it this way. If you can't buy them at retailers, they should have just advertised that if you preorder, you get "early access" to the VR on the 22nd. Then just had the release date to whenever they decide to sell them at retailers. My buddy said they did the same with their Pro Controller. Seems weird to me.
I got it about 10 minutes ago! I am shocked I got it today because UPS didn't pick it up until yesterday, and it's rare I would get it the next day. My across the street neighbor has an in-home business so he is always shipping stuff through UPS. The UPS truck got to his house, picked up his deliveries, and then the UPS guy worked in his van for 15 minutes or so. I was wondering what the hell he was doing in there. Then the mailman came and the UPS driver started his van and looked as if he was leaving, but he was parked in front of the mailbox so he moved so the mailman could reach the mailbox. He finally came out of his van and I met him halfway.

I won't be able to do anything with it until later tonight as I have other things I have to take care of first. I went ahead and put the controllers on charge so they will be ready.

I downloaded a couple of games my wife would probably like so I should be able to get a pass on spending the money for it. :)

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Gave Atomic Heart about an hour or so of my time last night. I'm........not sure yet. I'm torn on it. Didn't love it. Didn't hate it. May have to give it some more time later.

Also, I am quite a few hours into Last of Us 2. So far, I like it. Gameplay feels a tad smoother to me. Also, this one doesn't seem to require you to stealth as much. It's in the game still, but I've messed up and been spotted several times, and it wasn't game over for me. I was able to fight my way out. I really appreciate having that choice. Graphics are crisp. The post-apocalyptic Seattle is beautiful. The story so far, I honestly don't mind it. It's neither great or bad (so far).

Last edited:

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I haven't been able to play using my VR2 as much as I wanted, but the little I have played I know I'm going to love this thing for a long time (or until a newer version comes out :) ). I played Kayak VR and of course RE Village. I broke out a sweat playing Kayak. I've got to pray for a crappy weather day so I can justify playing the games for many hours.

I have glasses that have progressive lenses and that did cause me some issues with the focusing. As long as I'm looking straight ahead everything is clear, but when I look around the screen things get blurry and I have to turn my head towards what I want to look at. I have to have my headset positioned on my head perfectly. It has nothing to do with the headset, it's just my glasses have different focal lengths depending on where my eyes are looking at. I have to turn my head to look at things clearly IRL as well. My brain does it automatically and most of the time I don't notice it. I plan on going to my eye doctor and having her give me a prescription so I will have only one focal length to use when I do the VR. The eye tracking worked perfectly wearing my glasses.

I did try playing a game in cinematic mode but the results were not good for me. Again, I think it has everything to do with my glasses and my TV is an OLED style so the picture is phenomenal as it is, and it would be hard to duplicate that. I know there are some video settings to adjust. I just haven't gotten that far yet.

@SlammedZero - you're going to love them!

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Gave Atomic Heart about an hour or so of my time last night. I'm........not sure yet. I'm torn on it. Didn't love it. Didn't hate it. May have to give it some more time later.

Also, I am quite a few hours into Last of Us 2. So far, I like it. Gameplay feels a tad smoother to me. Also, this one doesn't seem to require you to stealth as much. It's in the game still, but I've messed up and been spotted several times, and it wasn't game over for me. I was able to fight my way out. I really appreciate having that choice. Graphics are crisp. The post-apocalyptic Seattle is beautiful. The story so far, I honestly don't mind it. It's neither great or bad (so far).
If you are still in the first part of Seattle it gets even better when you open the gate so you can get to the TV station and the Aquarium. But before you do check all the buildings you can. There is some good stuff in there.

rags

Reaction score

Atomic Heart doesn't seem to have a middle ground. Some love it. Some hate it.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I haven't been able to play using my VR2 as much as I wanted, but the little I have played I know I'm going to love this thing for a long time (or until a newer version comes out :) ). I played Kayak VR and of course RE Village. I broke out a sweat playing Kayak. I've got to pray for a crappy weather day so I can justify playing the games for many hours.

I have glasses that have progressive lenses and that did cause me some issues with the focusing. As long as I'm looking straight ahead everything is clear, but when I look around the screen things get blurry and I have to turn my head towards what I want to look at. I have to have my headset positioned on my head perfectly. It has nothing to do with the headset, it's just my glasses have different focal lengths depending on where my eyes are looking at. I have to turn my head to look at things clearly IRL as well. My brain does it automatically and most of the time I don't notice it. I plan on going to my eye doctor and having her give me a prescription so I will have only one focal length to use when I do the VR. The eye tracking worked perfectly wearing my glasses.

I did try playing a game in cinematic mode but the results were not good for me. Again, I think it has everything to do with my glasses and my TV is an OLED style so the picture is phenomenal as it is, and it would be hard to duplicate that. I know there are some video settings to adjust. I just haven't gotten that far yet.

@SlammedZero - you're going to love them!
I just got home and my PSVR2 was sitting on the counter. Thankfully the wife works from home, as I missed the UPS guy, and the delivery required a signature. I am charging the controllers right now and will jump into it here in a bit. I am definitely excited. I have read some blurriness complaints with the VR, and I think it's just a mix of everything. I'm sure it has everything to do with how people wear the headset (on the PSVR1 I had to have the headband low in the back and the headset piece higher up on my face), people's vision, people's expectations, and the software of the game. I think a lot of people confuse the 4K they see on their TV with the 4K resolution in the VR. We're just not quite there yet in terms of technology. I'd definitely look into some contacts for yourself though. Might make wearing it more comfortable as well.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
If you are still in the first part of Seattle it gets even better when you open the gate so you can get to the TV station and the Aquarium. But before you do check all the buildings you can. There is some good stuff in there.
I just escaped the TV Station. I'm trying to check as much as I can! They give you quite the area to search. I like the mix of "open", yet linear, world.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
@Jammer have you had any issues with your controllers? I couldn't get my right VR controller to work in any of the games. It worked in the menu though. I thought I was going crazy. Decided to Google it and found out it's a massive issue. There is a huge Reddit thread on it. Gaming websites are starting to put up articles on it. There are some work arounds that are working for some people that I will have to try, but dang, quite the disappointment when you can't fully play your brand new VR setup. Looks like quite the major blunder for Sony.

With that said, I could get Gran Turismo to work, as it only uses the regular DualSense controller. It looks great. The showroom makes you feel like you're standing next to the car. The racing is fantastic too. Makes me want to get a steering wheel setup. While the graphics are definitely a major step up from the previous model VR, I can see why some people still feel it's a bit blurry. I think it just is what it is at this point. I understand we are still in the infancy of the technology, plus, I'm sure it's hard to nail perfect resolution when your eyeball is .02 inches from the screen. lol So, it doesn't bother me too much. I still think it looks really good!

Outside this controller issue, I love everything about it that I've got to try. The living room setup was really cool! The headset is nice and I love having the camera view. The controllers fit and feel great in the hands. I just hope Sony gets this controller issue patched ASAP for everybody that it's affected (which is also me).

Last edited:

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@Jammer have you had any issues with your controllers? I couldn't get my right VR controller to work in any of the games. It worked in the menu though. I thought I was going crazy. Decided to Google it and found out it's a massive issue. There is a huge Reddit thread on it. Gaming websites are starting to put up articles on it. There are some work arounds that are working for some people that I will have to try, but dang, quite the disappointment when you can't fully play your brand new VR setup. Looks like quite the major blunder for Sony.

With that said, I could get Gran Turismo to work, as it only uses the regular DualSense controller. It looks great. The showroom makes you feel like you're standing next to the car. The racing is fantastic too. Makes me want to get a steering wheel setup. While the graphics are definitely a major step up from the previous model VR, I can see why some people still feel it's a bit blurry. I think it just is what it is at this point. I understand we are still in the infancy of the technology, plus, I'm sure it's hard to nail perfect resolution when your eyeball is .02 inches from the screen. lol So, it doesn't bother me too much. I still think it looks really good!

Outside this controller issue, I love everything about it that I've got to try. The living room setup was really cool! The headset is nice and I love having the camera view. The controllers fit and feel great in the hands. I just hope Sony gets this controller issue patched ASAP for everybody that it's affected (which is also me).
Man, that has to blow. Getting a brand-new system and it not work.

I have not had the issue. I did have an issue with one of the controllers taking over the control when I was playing a flatscreen game. I was using my DualSense controller, until I wasn't. Somehow I must have inadvertently touched a button on the R controller and it took over. It was annoying, but my fault.

I hope the controller issue is something that is easily fixed. That would be a huge blackeye for Sony. I watch a lot of YouTube videos and I haven't seen anyone mention it, but if it's widespread it will be only a matter of time. Hopefully it's an easy fix through a patch. Good luck. I know you've probably tried eveything under the sky to get it to work.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Man, that has to blow. Getting a brand-new system and it not work.

I have not had the issue. I did have an issue with one of the controllers taking over the control when I was playing a flatscreen game. I was using my DualSense controller, until I wasn't. Somehow I must have inadvertently touched a button on the R controller and it took over. It was annoying, but my fault.

I hope the controller issue is something that is easily fixed. That would be a huge blackeye for Sony. I watch a lot of YouTube videos and I haven't seen anyone mention it, but if it's widespread it will be only a matter of time. Hopefully it's an easy fix through a patch. Good luck. I know you've probably tried eveything under the sky to get it to work.
After jumping through some hoops last night, trying some of the suggestions in the Reddit thread, I did get them to work! So, I stayed up way too late last night playing around with it. We will see today how they act after having turned the console to rest mode and back on. Played Horizon Call of the Mountain. Pretty neat game. Was cool seeing all of the machines in lifelike size! The Star Wars demo is pretty cool too once you get use to how you travel around. Getting into shootouts with the blaster guns is wild. Those first person type games defintiely take some getting use to for traveling around and not making yourself sick. lol

SlammedZero

Reaction score
So, having a few days with the PSVR2........I'm digging it!! It's been fun. It's definitely an upgrade over the last generation. Gran Turismo 7 is just fantastic. It's so much fun in VR that I'm now shopping racing simrigs. I think a chair/wheel/pedals/shifter setup would just make the immersion that much better.

:grin: