"The Walking Dead" Season 4– Episodes 9-16...

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Its for you...line of the night. Starting the gathering, cool. Slow start to a slow season.

Lonestar94

Reaction score
I might just watch now since they're finally out of that damn prison. What has it been, 2 seasons?

Section446

Reaction score
Pretty bad start to the season, IMO. Once again, not much on the way of story-line progression. Just another "filler" type of an episode.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I knew it wouldn't happen, but really wanted Carl to become someone's appetizer.

LOL!

The 'Big-4' at this are Rick, Carl, Michonne and Daryl. Everyone else is a potential zombie-dinner in any episode... not that the 'Big-4' aren't but it's easy to see which characters are driving the show.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
For those that have been up to snuff on the comics, this episode had to be fully expected. The Rick/Carl dynamic has really been one of the few things they have been tried and true to.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought it was a good episode.

For those that might think it lacked action...I can think of around 20+ zombie kills in the episode off the top of my head.

It was an episode that had to happen eventually.

Carl had to rebel and think he could do it on his own (like almost all young people at one point), then he had to change his mind and realize that maybe he was not better off by himself.

Michonne needed more back story and I liked how she started to revert back to her old ways and then saw her self turning into a zombie and realized it when she saw her zombie self. At that point she flips out, kills off her demons so to speak and goes back to wanting to live and wanting to live around others.

Good episode IMO.

I think sometimes people expect WAY too much from a zombie show and are rarely satisfied.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its for you...line of the night.

Great point!

Probably the line of the season.

It's a show where the script-writing isn't always the best and many of the things said come off sounding goofy, but that was a wonderful line.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought the episode picked up steam as it went along. I wasn't riveted by it until towards the end.

I did think the cinematography was very good for the episode with some wonderful images. After being essentially trapped in the dark-dank prison for the last season and a half (and really the surroundings of the prison weren't anything to write home about either) the images of the town, houses and what-not was a welcome change.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Once again, nothing happens in walking dead.

Thankfully True Detectives is out, gives me something to watch Sunday night

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone could say last night was a good episode.

They could've done that entire episode in 10 minutes.

It's pretty clear that the writers are dragging this show out at this point and last night was a pretty pathetic way to start a season after such a long break.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
I thought it was a good episode.

For those that might think it lacked action...I can think of around 20+ zombie kills in the episode off the top of my head.

It was an episode that had to happen eventually.

Carl had to rebel and think he could do it on his own (like almost all young people at one point), then he had to change his mind and realize that maybe he was not better off by himself.

Michonne needed more back story and I liked how she started to revert back to her old ways and then saw her self turning into a zombie and realized it when she saw her zombie self. At that point she flips out, kills off her demons so to speak and goes back to wanting to live and wanting to live around others.

Good episode IMO.

I think sometimes people expect WAY too much from a zombie show and are rarely satisfied.

They put the kills in as such an afterthought, they really don't provide much action even when killing occurs.

I understand this is supposed to be a story driven show, but ever since the farm started, nothing has happened in the way of story. This show has trouble letting go of characters and moving along plot.

The worst part is when they do flash backs of pre zombie times. It goes from a boring zombie drama, to a boring drama without zombies

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They put the kills in as such an afterthought, they really don't provide much action even when killing occurs.

I understand this is supposed to be a story driven show, but ever since the farm started, nothing has happened in the way of story. This show has trouble letting go of characters and moving along plot.

The worst part is when they do flash backs of pre zombie times. It goes from a boring zombie drama, to a boring drama without zombies

It is a zombie show.

The story and the plot are always going to be the same central theme of Humans that are put in a terrible situation and how they react and continue to live.

The world is dead around them and they are the walking dead themselves. I am not sure how much more story and plot you can add to the idea that people are just trying to survive.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
It is a zombie show.

The story and the plot are always going to be the same central theme of Humans that are put in a terrible situation and how they react and continue to live.

The world is dead around them and they are the walking dead themselves. I am not sure how much more story and plot you can add to the idea that people are just trying to survive.

I don't understand how hard that is for people to grasp.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is a zombie show.

That's a good point.

Other than burning through the story (comic book) faster I'm not sure what you can do to speed up the story. And if you speed up the story, then you lose character development.

One of my knocks about he graphic novel, is that being a graphic novel you don't get much in the way of character development. I don't think I would want to see the TV version go down that path.

The other thing is that people for the most part aren't nomadic. They're looking to put down roots as a source of stability... And I think that would be exasperated during some kind of crisis like a zombie-apocalypse where everything is turned upside-down. That being said these folks only leave areas of sanctuary when there is absolutely no choice but to do so– and that's been the consistent theme since we came across the camp just outside of Atlanta.

If the these folks had to change their locations even more often or without just cause I think it would seem very unnatural to us.

Angus12

Reaction score

If you dislike this boring drama so much, why spend your time watching and commenting on it? Just curious.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
If you dislike this boring drama so much, why spend your time watching and commenting on it? Just curious.

I watched all of the first season with my roommates. We enjoyed it. Halfway into the 2nd season it turned into us watching the show just to laugh at how nothing was happening. So I guess we are just stuck in the act of watching the show at 8 on sunday.

In addition we like the idea of a zombie show..

blindzebra

Reaction score
Though it was paced differently it was a very good and important episode.

And the bond of Rick and Carl losing wife/mother and Michonne losing boyfriend/son is an interesting story line going forward.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
It is a zombie show.

you shouldn't have to add that much more story into a post apocalyptic world with zombies in it... that's the point.. the survival adds enough to the show.

But when you start looking for sophie for a whole season, or introducing michonnes back story after 2 seasons of nothing, or bringing back the governor for one last hiccup in the story before you finally kill him, you begin to patronize the fans with a drama that moves extremely slowly and also shows the occasional zombie.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you shouldn't have to add that much more story into a post apocalyptic world with zombies in it... that's the point.. the survival adds enough to the show.

But when you start looking for sophie for a whole season, or introducing michonnes back story after 2 seasons of nothing, or bringing back the governor for one last hiccup in the story before you finally kill him, you begin to patronize the fans with a drama that moves extremely slowly and also shows the occasional zombie.

In other words....slow parts kind of like...Oh I don't know...Life.

Boring parts where they are held up in prison because they want the most of a normal life as they can get in a zombie infested world?

That is part of life. Wanting a community. Wanting a family. Wanting a safe life.

Life is not all action. Life has it's boring mundane times where all you want is a normal life even in an screwed up situation.

Now maybe they can add in a military take down of a nation with a plot twist of a guy being dead the whole time but not realizing it while at the same time having a non stop jason statham character who has to keep his heart beat above a certain number or die.

Of course that is not what is going to happen and that is hyperbole on my part but it illustrates a point.

They are going to search for a long time for a missing child...most groups of people that are like a family would.
Of course they are going to stay on a farm as long as they could...most people would.
Of course they are going to stay in the prison where they think it is safe...most people would.

But you are still complaining because it is extremely slow. Maybe you are better off going back and watching shows like Spartacus where the blood is always flowing because it is all action.
Maybe this show is just not for you and you are wasting your time watching it.

Maybe it is a show about trying to live when you are really dying and among the already dead.