The Whacky Wide Receiver Drafts of 2016 and 2017

DFWJC

Reaction score
First, this is not a thread to condemn Dallas selection 1st round section of CeeDee Lamb this year.
It's just something wild I noticed about how average (or worse) 1st round WRs turned out in the "deep WR drafts" in 2017 and 2018 --especially compared the amazing WRs taken in the later rounds of these years

Most people who follow the draft know that drafting 1st round WRs can be really tough figure out.
So here we go

2016 1st round WRs
1-15) Corey Coleman
1-21) Will Fuller
1-22) Josh Doctson
1-23) Lequon Treadwell

2016 some WRs taken much later
2-47) Michael Thomas (All-Pro/Pro Bowl)
2-55) Tyler Boyd
5-165) Tyreek Hill (All Pro/Pro Bowl)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 1st round WRs
1-5) Corey Coleman weird
1-7) Mike Williams
1-10) John Ross

2017 some WRs taken much later
2-62) JuJu Smith-Schuster (Pro Bowl)
2-69) Cooper Kupp
3-84) Chris Godwin (Pro Bowl)
3-96) Kenny Golliday (Pro Bowl)

----------------------------------------------------
So, this year, we had one of the deepest WR drafts on record. Just incredibly deep
I'm not really worried about Lamb, but I am curious to see how this turns out in a few years.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I think there is a distinct possibility that Lamb underwhelms this coming year just from the overwhelming talent at the position and then really shows up in years 2 and 3 making a future discussion of who to get rid of: Cooper, or Gallup?

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
First, this is not a thread to condemn Dallas selection 1st round section of CeeDee Lamb this year.
It's just something wild I noticed about how average (or worse) 1st round WRs turned out in the "deep WR drafts" in 2017 and 2018 --especially compared the amazing WRs taken in the later rounds of these years

Most people who follow the draft know that drafting 1st round WRs can be really tough figure out.
So here we go

2016 1st round WRs
1-15) Corey Coleman
1-21) Will Fuller
1-22) Josh Doctson
1-23) Lequon Treadwell

2-55) Tyler Boyd

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 1st round WRs
1-5) Corey Coleman weird
1-7) Mike Williams
1-10) John Ross

2-69) Cooper Kupp

So, this year, we had one of the deepest WR drafts on record. Just incredibly deep
I'm not really worried about Lamb, but I am curious to see how this turns out in a few years.

The 2nd Corey in 2017 is Davis out of Western Michigan.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

So here we go

2016 1st round WRs
1-15) Corey Coleman
1-21) Will Fuller
1-22) Josh Doctson
1-23) Lequon Treadwell

2-55) Tyler Boyd

2017 1st round WRs
1-5) Corey Coleman weird
1-7) Mike Williams
1-10) John Ross

2-69) Cooper Kupp

So much of a WR's success relies on the offense, coaching, and especially the QB.

If you look at most of the guys that did really well, they had great to good QB's. Tampa being the exception. Although no doubt that Winston could wing it and their HC is a good offensive mind.

Kupp should make the pro bowl any year now.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think there is a distinct possibility that Lamb underwhelms this coming year just from the overwhelming talent at the position and then really shows up in years 2 and 3 making a future discussion of who to get rid of: Cooper, or Gallup?

I will completely disagree. Lamb is primed for a HUGE rookie year. 800-1000 yards and 6-10 TD's kinda good.

Corso

Reaction score
I will completely disagree. Lamb is primed for a HUGE rookie year. 800-1000 yards and 6-10 TD's kinda good.
You could very well be right. I can't discount it. I hope for it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You could very well be right. I can't discount it. I hope for it.

He is just in the perfect situation. Incredible offense with great QB and great run game. The OC and HC are great offensive minds. But most importantly he has Cooper and Gallup on the outside as legitimate deep threats to take away double coverage.

He is going to be Dak's goto guy over the middle eventually. Just doing little curl, slant, outs and crossing routes underneath. The outside guys will clear things out and his YAC is going to go wild.

Corso

Reaction score
He is just in the perfect situation. Incredible offense with great QB and great run game. The OC and HC are great offensive minds. But most importantly he has Cooper and Gallup on the outside as legitimate deep threats to take away double coverage.

He is going to be Dak's goto guy over the middle eventually. Just doing little curl, slant, outs and crossing routes underneath. The outside guys will clear things out and his YAC is going to go wild.
Would love to see it in action in the near future. Hopefully we get the chance.

Corso

Reaction score
I don't see how a nickel cb can keep up with him, assuming he gets a lot of reps inside.
I acknowledge where you guys are coming from.
I maintain that I would not be shocked should what I said come to fruition.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
WR is tough to figure out in the 1st round. And it's rare you see 6 wrs selected there. No doubt a high percentage of WRs taken in the 1st round will be busts. I would guess half will not live up to their draft status. Who will be successful? Just a guess but think Lamb, Jeudy, and Jefferson have the highest likelihood of success at the next level. All 3 have strong work ethic and had consistently productive college careers. How that translates at the next level we'll see.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i thought Mike Williams was gonna be a pro-bowl caliber talent for a LONG time.
i thought the same about Treadwell.
i'm a sucker for big receivers.
i do think we hit a home-run with CeeDee Lamb.
those other cats were expected to be THE guy.
not so here.
he clearly comes in at #3 with COOOOOOP and Gallup with bigfoot like grips on WR1/WR2.

DFWJC

Reaction score
i thought Mike Williams was gonna be a pro-bowl caliber talent for a LONG time.
i thought the same about Treadwell.
i'm a sucker for big receivers.
i do think we hit a home-run with CeeDee Lamb.
those other cats were expected to be THE guy.
not so here.
he clearly comes in at #3 with COOOOOOP and Gallup with bigfoot like grips on WR1/WR2.
Williams still has a chance to be decent.
That nasty injury that made him miss his rookie year set him way back.

kskboys

Reaction score
Coop. His contract has major outs after two seasons. Writing's on the wall.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Williams still has a chance to be decent.
That nasty injury that made him miss his rookie year set him way back.
forgot about the injury.
he was a MONSTER at clemson.
im not giving up on him or treadwell.
but this isn't the start i was thinking for either.
just never know.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't see how a nickel cb can keep up with him, assuming he gets a lot of reps inside.
Might be the opposite. Nickel CB's are generally there for extreme quickness, which is why they're inside.

DFWJC

Reaction score
forgot about the injury.
he was a MONSTER at clemson.
im not giving up on him or treadwell.
but this isn't the start i was thinking for either.
just never know.
Williams had 1000 yards last year and a 20.4 ypc.

Treadwell on the other hand....yikes