The Whacky Wide Receiver Drafts of 2016 and 2017

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't see how a nickel cb can keep up with him, assuming he gets a lot of reps inside.

I like Cooper in the slot more. His speed and route running should be in the slot, not along a sideline.

Lamb's body control is a good fit for outside too. Back shoulder fades and high pointing. More like Dez.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think there is a distinct possibility that Lamb underwhelms this coming year just from the overwhelming talent at the position and then really shows up in years 2 and 3 making a future discussion of who to get rid of: Cooper, or Gallup?

The overwhelming talent there should make it *easier* for Lamb to perform well.

Other teams have to worry about Cooper and Elliot first. It will be interesting to see how long defenses consider Gallup the greater threat than Lamb.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
If Lamb plays during garbage time he’ll definitely get yo 1,000 yards.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
First, this is not a thread to condemn Dallas selection 1st round section of CeeDee Lamb this year.
It's just something wild I noticed about how average (or worse) 1st round WRs turned out in the "deep WR drafts" in 2017 and 2018 --especially compared the amazing WRs taken in the later rounds of these years

Most people who follow the draft know that drafting 1st round WRs can be really tough figure out.
So here we go

2016 1st round WRs
1-15) Corey Coleman
1-21) Will Fuller
1-22) Josh Doctson
1-23) Lequon Treadwell

2016 some WRs taken much later
2-47) Michael Thomas (All-Pro/Pro Bowl)
2-55) Tyler Boyd
5-165) Tyreek Hill (All Pro/Pro Bowl)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 1st round WRs
1-5) Corey Coleman weird
1-7) Mike Williams
1-10) John Ross

2017 some WRs taken much later
2-62) JuJu Smith-Schuster (Pro Bowl)
2-69) Cooper Kupp
3-84) Chris Godwin (Pro Bowl)
3-96) Kenny Golliday (Pro Bowl)

----------------------------------------------------
So, this year, we had one of the deepest WR drafts on record. Just incredibly deep
I'm not really worried about Lamb, but I am curious to see how this turns out in a few years.
Based on where WR's were taken 1996 is probably the best comparison. Both drafts had an incredible amount of WR's taken in the first two rounds. I expect that in a few years, the two drafts will be very similar

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think there is a distinct possibility that Lamb underwhelms this coming year just from the overwhelming talent at the position and then really shows up in years 2 and 3 making a future discussion of who to get rid of: Cooper, or Gallup?

Certainly possible but I expect him to pick up where Cobb left off in the slot.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Williams still has a chance to be decent.
That nasty injury that made him miss his rookie year set him way back.

I’d hardly argue he’s been disappointing. He registered 1,000 yards last season and tallied 10 TD receptions in 2018.

Flamma

Reaction score
He is just in the perfect situation. Incredible offense with great QB and great run game. The OC and HC are great offensive minds. But most importantly he has Cooper and Gallup on the outside as legitimate deep threats to take away double coverage.

He is going to be Dak's goto guy over the middle eventually. Just doing little curl, slant, outs and crossing routes underneath. The outside guys will clear things out and his YAC is going to go wild.

This is pretty much how I see it too. But I'm going by the belief that Lamb is a good upgrade to Cobb. If that's true, he's going to be a serious problem for defenses. As long as our O-Line holds up, Dallas has weapons everywhere.

kskboys

Reaction score
Williams had 1000 yards last year and a 20.4 ypc.

Treadwell on the other hand....yikes
Yeah, I had to look it up and read about it, but Williams had his breakout as the #2 WR for the Chargers. He was one of the best at taking the top off the D. Be interesting to see how he does w/ the new QB, and any of the 3 could start, Tyrod Taylor, Easton Stick, or rook Justin Herbort.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is a CeeDee Lamb hate thread.
It could be, but looking at the WR's taken, most are speed guys and/or athletic freaks. Lamb is more of a route runner than all of them.

IMO, most of those guys were overdrafted.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I’d wager good money John Ross ends up on the Raiders at some point before his career is done.

I still think he has a chance to turn things around if he can get over the injury bug. He’s shown the ability to be productive while on the field; he was on pace through 8 games last to hit 1,000+ yards before......getting injured.

10 TDs on 49 receptions is hard to ignore.

Last edited:

Johnny23

Reaction score
It could be, but looking at the WR's taken, most are speed guys and/or athletic freaks. Lamb is more of a route runner than all of them.

IMO, most of those guys were overdrafted.
Especially the TCU and Baylor guys Coleman and Doctson. Yeesh. I knew that the moment their names were called it was a mistake.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is pretty much how I see it too. But I'm going by the belief that Lamb is a good upgrade to Cobb. If that's true, he's going to be a serious problem for defenses. As long as our O-Line holds up, Dallas has weapons everywhere.

I believe that Lamb is the best receiver on the team. May take him a year to truly get there, but he has the most talent.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
First, this is not a thread to condemn Dallas selection 1st round section of CeeDee Lamb this year.
It's just something wild I noticed about how average (or worse) 1st round WRs turned out in the "deep WR drafts" in 2017 and 2018 --especially compared the amazing WRs taken in the later rounds of these years

Most people who follow the draft know that drafting 1st round WRs can be really tough figure out.
So here we go

2016 1st round WRs
1-15) Corey Coleman
1-21) Will Fuller
1-22) Josh Doctson
1-23) Lequon Treadwell

2016 some WRs taken much later
2-47) Michael Thomas (All-Pro/Pro Bowl)
2-55) Tyler Boyd
5-165) Tyreek Hill (All Pro/Pro Bowl)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 1st round WRs
1-5) Corey Coleman weird
1-7) Mike Williams
1-10) John Ross

2017 some WRs taken much later
2-62) JuJu Smith-Schuster (Pro Bowl)
2-69) Cooper Kupp
3-84) Chris Godwin (Pro Bowl)
3-96) Kenny Golliday (Pro Bowl)

----------------------------------------------------
So, this year, we had one of the deepest WR drafts on record. Just incredibly deep
I'm not really worried about Lamb, but I am curious to see how this turns out in a few years.
This is the main reason I argued against WR in round 1 this year.

WR are invariably good in rounds 2-4 if you pick the right guy for your teams needs.

All that said DAL got WR1 where they did which is insane.
I would have been disappointed with Jeudy(who I think is a Ridley clone and solid number2 but not a WR1).
I would have died inside had they went Ruggs who I don't think is a good pro prospect at all. His upside is DeSean Jackson and to me that isn't worth R1.
Jackson has made 3 Pro Bowls and had 7 seasons under 1000 yards receiving versus only 5 over it.
Dallas' Michael Gallup went over 1k yards in year 2 ad a former R3 pick.

But CeeDee Lamb not going top 10 is another example of how bad NFL teams are at evaluating/drafting.
Pat Mahomes should have went 1st easily and Baker Mayfield should not have been an R1 pick much less first overall and these aren't revisionist takes I swore these things before those players were drafted.
Those were not 50/50 calls or hard judgments....