The Whacky Wide Receiver Drafts of 2016 and 2017

DFWJC

Reaction score
Based on where WR's were taken 1996 is probably the best comparison. Both drafts had an incredible amount of WR's taken in the first two rounds. I expect that in a few years, the two drafts will be very similar
Maybe our guy will be Marvin Harrison and not Eddie Kennison or Alex Van Dyke
:flagwave:

Of course, T.O. went in the 3rd round that year.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
Not sure what situation those other 1st round receivers were in but in CeeDee’s situation, he’s going to get his. He’s not here to save our franchise or be the #1 at his position (like most 1st rounders are) but to just add on another another talent to our already strong offensive unit.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is the main reason I argued against WR in round 1 this year.

WR are invariably good in rounds 2-4 if you pick the right guy for your teams needs.

All that said DAL got WR1 where they did which is insane.
I would have been disappointed with Jeudy(who I think is a Ridley clone and solid number2 but not a WR1).
I would have died inside had they went Ruggs who I don't think is a good pro prospect at all. His upside is DeSean Jackson and to me that isn't worth R1.
Jackson has made 3 Pro Bowls and had 7 seasons under 1000 yards receiving versus only 5 over it.
Dallas' Michael Gallup went over 1k yards in year 2 ad a former R3 pick.

But CeeDee Lamb not going top 10 is another example of how bad NFL teams are at evaluating/drafting.
Pat Mahomes should have went 1st easily and Baker Mayfield should not have been an R1 pick much less first overall and these aren't revisionist takes I swore these things before those players were drafted.
Those were not 50/50 calls or hard judgments....
No, not even. Mahomes was one of those high volume spread O types. A ton of unknowns coming in. He was prolly overdrafted, all things considered. I don't remember pretty much anyone talking him up predraft, but there sure are a ton claiming they "knew it" afterward.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
several of those guys draft position were result of measurables & maybe need over proof guy could play. Williams may still get there. Treadwell is the only one that surprised me.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Just want to point out that the thread was illustrating as much about how many truly great players were taken after the 1st round in those years.
Sure, it kind of highlighted how almost none (not all) of those taken in the 1st round worked out those particular years, but it was more about the contrast.

In other words, I'm not opining about who went in the first this year. Maybe every one of them turns out fine---time will tell.
I'm just wondering how many will be great that went later in the draft.
That was a very deep draft.